1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Wizard Named Harry by Bugz-Toon - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tarnished Blade, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

Title: A Wizard Named Harry
    Author: Bugz-Toon
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 33,877
    Updated: June 30, 2013
    Published: January 12, 2013

Library Category: Alternate
    Pairings: (blank)&Harry Dresden
    Summary: Harry Dresden has taken a lot of blows to the head over his career, and woken up in a lot of interesting places, but... aboard the Hogwarts Express in the body of an eleven-year-old boy with a lightning-bolt scar on his forehead? Yeah, that's a new one. Most people, they'd just enjoy the ride, but Dresden has read the books, and he REALLY doesn't like dark wizards...
    Link: FanFiction.Net

Frankly I was originally going to post this in the appropriate "almost recommended" thread. Its a pleasant enought twist on the HarryPotter/HarryDresden crossover. Going to Hogwarts for the Harry in Potter's skin since he doesn't seem capable of using wands and magic . . . safely (as in explosions ahoy!). And there seems to be no reaction from Harry D. to all the many and varied violations of the 7 laws of the white concil. But the Cliff at the end of the most recent chapter (6) has me thinking it just might be library worthy. That and it might be changing from adventure to adventure/horror.

I sighed and let myself relax a little, then yelped and fell off the stool when Hermione shoved a newspaper in my face and said "See, I told you her name was Rita... oh. Where did she go? Wait, where did you go?"

She looked down. "What are you doing on the floor? You can't study from down there."

I glowered at her, but any scathing retort I could have come up with was choked off by a new voice, one like oiled honey. All velvet inhuman sweetness, deep and quiet and speaking what some part of my brain identified as BBC English.

"Well met, little mortal. You are to be congratulated on a most intriguing stratagem, and one that I would have thought you incapable of, bound in frail meat as you were. Still, you above all others should know that you cannot escape he who is ever behind you." the Outsider purred.
    The Multi-verse says Fuck You, Harry Dresden, and everyone else in your general vicinity. Let the body count commence.
    Tenative 4/5

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Urgh, Dresden in Potter's body seems really interesting -- but I cannot get past the part where Dresden has read the books. Just reeks too much of the recent fad of "Everyone reads the HP books!" going on in ffnet right now. Other than the Dresden twist, what makes this any better than those shit fics?

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ok, well, needed something to read while I was chilling in the restaurant. Let's give it a go.

Bit of a, well, not mundane, but not overly way of getting Dresden into another Universe. With all the possibilities that DF offers it happens because he was trying to put out a big fire? Collected it and aimed at the roof of a building? Ah well, it's just a mechanism to move him to the HPverse so w/e.

I grinned at this part: Ron snorted, and even Hermione looked briefly amused as she claimed a seat. At the back of my mind, I could almost hear Murph making snide comments about my humour finally finding an audience immature enough to appreciate it.

Granted when it comes to Draco I'd like to think that an adult Dresden would at least recognize that he's a child instead of making fun of him the instant he appears and tries to be friendly. He does make it a point to say that Dresden just hates bullies, but Malfoy hasn't been one yet when Harry starts with the insults. Was a little disappointed to see the author take the easy way out there. Of course after Draco acts like an ass I can easily see Dresden acting this way--he does it in canon often enough.

His eventual winning of that convo, though, was good. "What's a mudblood?" and so on.

For some reason I also really liked this bit:
    And that's the first three chapters. Going to read the rest without so much commentary, as it keeps distracting me.

In general the story makes me grin. I like it. But so far there's nothing all that special here, just Dresden going through the motions of the first HP book starting on the Hogwarts Express.

Chapter 4 stuff starts to change things up a bit more. Dumbledore is involved, and decently written, and there's a soulgaze and whatnot.

It's neat. I dunno if it's 4/5 though. I think I'm gonna go with a 3.5/5 for now and wait for a bit more. There's about 20k here, which is usually enough to rate, but I feel like it's moving slowly enough that giving it more time is justified.

Nice find either way.

Edit: *snicker* Snape looked like he was going to say something else, but then he glanced around rapidly as if he'd suddenly remembered that there was a class in session, not just a private tutorial session that he'd somehow gotten confused with Torquemada's inquisition.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's pretty good, honestly. Every time I get annoyed by something, along comes a line that just makes me crack up. Will be following it to see how it goes.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, it starts off as you put it Cheddar, rather mundanely. However, by the end of what's written I was really enjoying it, and wishing there was a little more. Especially with how the last chapter finished.

A bit of it's weird, like how the flying lessons panned out exactly the same, and I like Dresden's motivation for keeping things as similar as possible. He doesn't plan to stay in Potter's body, and he doesn't want to screw up his life too much.

Regardless, it's a 4/5 at best right now, but I think with some effort it could easily become a 5/5 if handled correctly.