1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Year Like None Other by Aspen In The Sunlight - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Title: A Year Like None Other
    Author: Aspen In The Sunlight
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Snape/Harry mentor story Angst/Action
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 97
    Words: 760,446
    Updated: March 25, 2007
    Published: December 3, 2004
    Summary:
    A letter from home? A letter from family? Well, Harry Potter knows he has neither, but all the same, it starts with a letter from Surrey. Whatever the Durleys have to say, it can't be anything good, so Harry's determined to ignore it. But then, his evil schoolmate rival spots the letter and his slimy excuse for a teacher intercepts it and forces him to read it. And that sends Harry down a path he'd never have walked on his own.

It will be a year of big changes, a year of great pain, and a year of confronting worst fears. It will be a year of surprising discoveries, of finding true strength, of finding out that first impressions of a person's true colours do not always ring true. It will be a year of paradigm shifts.

And from the most unexpected sources, Harry will have a chance to have that which he has never known: a home ... and a family.

A sixth year fic, this story follows Order of the Phoenix and disregards any canon events that occur after Book 5.​

Link: http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=5036
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/742072

Part 2:

Title: A Summer like none other
    Genre: Drama
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 225,007
    Published: July 17, 2006
    Updated: February 2, 2008
    Summary: COMPLETE. Family isn't everything, as Harry, Snape, and Draco discover in this sequel to A Year Like None Other. How will a mysterious mirror and a surprising new relationship affect a father and his two sons?

Link: http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=13093
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/836478

Part 3:

Title: A Family Like None Other
    Genre: Angst
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 412,484
    Published: May 21, 2008
    Updated: October 20, 2014-10-20
    Summary:
    Third story in the "Like None Other" universe. During his final year at Hogwarts, relationships will splinter as Harry confronts secrets long-buried and faces the greatest challenge of them all.

Link: http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=17466
    Link: (not on AO3)

Checked by Minion, June 28, 2015
    Added the sequels and AO3 link and summary for the first entry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I'll have to check this out soon, could be a winner.

77 chapters and no pairing yet for Harrikins? Awww, all work and no play makes Harry a dull boy :p

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Haha, yeah, it's refreshing to find a story without any pairings. If you read the story, you'll understand why Harry hasn't been with anyone. I'll just tell you this, he missed much of his sixth year due to a loss in his magic. He gets it back in an interesting way. Well, he doesn't exactly lose his magic, he just has trouble getting it out.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I seem to vaguely recall reading most of what was posted for this story a while back. Very good, definitely one of the better Harry and Snape fics out there. I typically don't like those stories, but this is an exception.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

it was pretty good back in the day before it got yanked off of FF.net. I just can't be bothered with the Yahoo group to keep reading, lol.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, to bad its still not on FF.Net, makes it a whole lot easier if its there. Still... Harrikins still needs SOME action ;)

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It was on FF.Net, but for some reason FF.Net tore it down, and now the author refuses to post it there again.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

If I had to guess the reason, it would probably be the whole torture scene at Halloween. That shit was pretty extreme.

9. Midknight

Yeah someone complained it was way too much for the rating it originally had, yet I've seen fics WAY worse, with lower rating not be bothered.

FF.net's enforcement is absolute ******** at times.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I second that

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

enforcement? ... pfft... i wish.. they dont enforce anything.. three complaints .. for ANYTHING .. even as simple as SPELLING THE as TEH ... can get your story pulled... <__< fucking insane stupid and ... ridiculus!

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Well, yes, in this case it was stupid. But there are stories out there that deserve to be deleted. I dunno, I heard someone was trying to get a group together to check all complaints before they are deleted. That might work.

13. Midknight

I think the whole site in general needs to be redone. There's no blatantly obvious well laid out FAQ for what is allowed, and what is not. It's just generaly, rated M means anything goes,... until someone complains that is.

14. -mati-

-mati- Guest

this is one of my favourite fics of all...i think its top notch

it got pulled because sombody was complaining repeatedly that it was inappropriatly rated (which i dont fink it is). this is the problem with ff..net...if one person has a problem with ur fic all they have to do report 3 times and its gone.

yo the one who cudnt be bothered to check out the yahoo group...ye thats not cool, but she has now a site for it go to owl.touri.org...and it will hook you up....you really should this story is so great.

-mati-

15. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

aspen

Yeah, this one is like one of the best fictions I've read, but reading it on the new archive is awful. I had problems with getting the next chapter.

About that 'protest page' I think I have a link to it somewhere. Anyone wants to sign it? Should i post it here? :?:

16. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

Must say; this is definitely a fic worth checking out, Aspen really knows his stuff.

Chapter 91 was great, it had a lot of lines that cracked me up. one of my favorites is Lucius Malfoy trying to be courteous;

"Just have a seat and pretend you aren't a filthy little half-blood with no notion of proper manners..."

and what is it with the DE's obsession with Harry's eyes? Poor bloke.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, this fic was really going down the drain in the last, uh, 10 chapters or so. But the last one was good. I can't believe anyone liked the chapters before though, they were all filler. It was full of extranneous shit like Harry getting picked on by his Defense professor because he speaks Parseltongue. Her followers full of sheep are starting to annoy me so much that I avoid her Yahoo group.

And that new video that that lady made for her with Kelly Clarkson's song, "Because of You"? That was fucking stupid. For one thing, it had nothing to do with AYLNO. The song is about how lost a little girl is because her father left her and her mom ignores her. I swear, people just see Alan Rickman and Tom Felton and cream their pants. Does anyone actually listen to the lyrics? They're all sheep I tell you, all sheep. :evil:

18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Is this still a sixth year fic? I'm guessing from the title it's only covering a single year, but after 650,000 words you'd think it'd be done by now.

I'm just curious. I skimmed like a half dozen chapters back on fanfiction.net (Snape was all Snape like and the author I think expected us to like that character...he stole a letter from Petunia or something) and while I'm sure, with the way everyone talks, that it's a wonderful magnificent amazing fic, I don't even have the slightest interest in reading this. And at 650,000 words, I wouldn't even read it if you paid me $10.

But is it really just 6th year? And not finished yet?

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

The beginning chapters were great, she updated regularly almost every few days, and they were pretty long chapters as well. I think she made the transition from Snape acting like Snape to Snape getting to know Harry and start liking him as a person. What I liked was that the change wasn't immediate, and it was almost imperceptible. But after her fic went off ff.net she seriously started acting arrogant because of her huge following from just that fic. I don't think she knew before, but when she started her Yahoo group people started joining and talking almost immediately.

Yes, it does only cover one year. But to be fair, most of the fic is taking place outside of Hogwarts, or at least, outside of Gryffindor Tower and classrooms. So it's interesting, becomes average, then becomes tedious just to read it. It picked up the last chapter, but I'm not really interested in reading it anymore, that's how boring it has got.

20. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

This is one of the reasons that I haven't even started to read this fic. Yes, it could be a magnificent fic worthy of many awards, but don't you think that ninety odd chapters is over doing it just a teeny weeny little bit? Plus I don't want to dedicate many hours reading hundreds of thousands of words just to abandon it when I don't like the direction it's taking in chapter one thousand five hundred and fifty something or another.