1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned fanfics you wish were completed

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ScottPress, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm guessing everyone has this kind of wishlist.

1. The Lie I've Lived sequel - I would happily give up my old Lego collection for this (after I wrestled the Legos from my 7 year old cousin)

2. Circular Reasoning - I dunno if it's technically abandoned or not, but it sure feels like it

3. Criminal Limit - Silens, you magnificent bastard, you can't just lure me in hook, line and sinker and then leave me hanging like this

4. Heartlands of Time - somewhere in a dark, dank corner of the world, some psycho kicks his dog each time he checks and sees that there hasn't been an update

5. Skitterleap - I can never have enough of sweeping AUs and this one is a rare gem

EDIT: 6. Stranger In Unholy Land sequel - damn, I almost forgot about this one. Guess it's time for a reread

Anyone care to share?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The Santi's Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived would top my list. I suspect I'm not alone.

Though not abandoned (just slooowly updating), Myst Shadow's Forging the Sword is another that would be up there.

3. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Let's see:

1. Something Lost, Something Found

2. Ectomancer

3. Shinysavage's stuff in general. The 'sorcerer' and whole DoM angle in Second War was interesting stuff, and Hallowed is a wicked AU, but that hasn't been updated in a while, has it?

4. Paradigm of Uncertainty

5. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. There is depth here, more than any of us could hope to fathom. I doubt the author even gets it.

6. There was a fic called Artificer. It was angsty, but I couldn't get enough of it. Then the author stopped updating at Chapter 7, even though there were supposedly 'only' 3 more chapters to go.

EDIT: I've also got a bit of a soft spot for Magicks of the Arcane.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Honestly? On top of my 'Abandoned Fics I Wish Would Finish' it would have to be Knowledge is Power. Yes, I've heard all arguments against it, and I share some of them, but it was one of the first top-tier, long fics I read and included(and still does) several things/tropes that I enjoy reading, along with some great OCs. Plus, the author abandoned it just as he was getting ready to get into the really interesting stuff, which is a shame.

After that, there are several, such as the TLIL sequel, Santi's fic, and Heartlands. Probably several others that don't pop to mind right now.

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Too many. Occasionally I go on reading-binges which leave me really wanting for more. I should probably stop doing that. Anyway, I'd love to get updates for:

Caliburn's Ambient, which still to this day remains my favorite fic of all time. I miss Romitrix.

Control by Anonymous58. it had so much potential, it's a real shame that it's abandoned.

RustyRed's Ectomancer. Re-introducting fantasy into the HP world since 2008.

Queens of Darkness, Ladies of Light
    by Thalarian. Harry touching things that he really shouldn't.

Project M by Water Mage, doing Avengers crossover before it became cool.

The Boy Who Lived by Santi, enough said.

The Master of Death by Ryuugi. I think that story traveled too far back in time and got lost somewhere down the line.

And last but not least:

Gravesong: Requiem by CareOtters. The Necromancer story we've always wanted but were only teased with.

Circular Reasoning and Heartlands of Time are being updated. The time between updates is agonizingly long, but I'll take what I can get. Of Harry and Harry as well as An Unfound Door are on hiatus, but luckily the adventures of Declan Hale more than make up for that. :)

6. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

7. Stan

Stan Order Member

5.Control: Great fic, but its possible that the best parts of the story are done.

4.The Potter Politics: One of the more promising starts to a Slytherin! Harry fic, abandoned just when it started to get really interesting

3.The Phoenix and the Serpent: Aww man, the last few chapters were just pure awesome. At least the author had the decency to finish the arc she was writing. Harry's homecoming was awesome.

2.By That Last Candle's Light: Sesc is a cruel, cruel man. After that amazing Harry-Voldemort scene, nothing but eternal darkness that feeds on the misery of the reader.

1.Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived: No real explanation needed for this one.

Honorable mentions to The Minister's Daughter, The French Affair, Sister Mine (Yes, I'm aware there's only one chapter either way), A Tale of Hallows and Horcruxes, Of Harry and Harry, BWP III, It could only happen to Harry, The Thief of Hogwarts, The Happy Red Prince, Ambient, In Essence Divided, Gravesong Requiem, Queens of Darkness Ladies of Light and a bunch of other fics I can't recall at this moment.

Also, On the way to Greatness, Prince of the Dark Kingdom, Forging the Sword, Hogwarts Battle School, Sitra Ahra and Song of the Trees are some current WIPs that have not updated in a while or have an atrocious update rate that makes me doubt whether they would ever be complete. I would be surpised if even one of them ever reach completion.

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Wasn't Heartlands updated like a few weeks ago?

The Wizard from Earth, TLIL sequel, and Santi's BWL are the three that bring a frown to my face. Santi, I hope everything's going well with the Lawyering and good luck with that..... but I think the entire HP fandom would be on Cloud 9 if you updated.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Only 2 on my list: On the Wings of a Phoenix, and Out of the Night. Most of the ones listed here I don't actually find to be that great.

10. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

12. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Most of my favs were already said so
    Measure for measure,Red and Wand and shield

13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    You. I like you.

Working on a whole bunch of exciting stuff over the next few months. New deals, new collaborations. And I've scheduled some fanfic update time in there!

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I could agree with being disappointed in most of the fics on this page, but the two biggest would easily be The Santi's The Boy Who Lived and Fettucini's Knowledge is Power. (Re-posted with formatting errors, but still largely readable.)

But another one I enjoyed that never really got going was Death, in Glory. A 300 xover that wasn't complete trash.

15. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Honestly, there are a lot of reasons why I haven't updated Criminal Limit, a few which are linked to projects I'll likely be singing from the heights about in the next week. I've been working on my review channel with four/five videos a week, I work full-time (and my job kicked into high gear recently), and I'm up to an action chapter that I'm really struggling to get right, and there are other projects with which I've had more traction. Plus, the usual things - staying in shape, eating right, getting in and out of a friends-with-benefits situation, drinking way too much bourbon, having some DJ gigs, you know.

Mark my words, I'll finish Criminal Limit someday.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I can guarantee that one is never getting updated. I liked it, but it tended to get a bit ponderous when I was writing it.

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Harry Potter and the Greater Good.

This fic had so much potential for pure awesomeness and its a shame it's been abandoned.

18. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Harry Potter and the Hero's Path.

It has a ton of flaws, but at the end of the day, Harry's characterization just speaks to me. This version of Harry just makes my socks roll up and down - he cares deeply about a very select group of people, he acts to secure his freedom, he hates bullies but likes staying out of other people’s business, he doesn’t fly off at the handle and approaches things rationally, but he’s not a robot. He hits the exact sweet spot between ruthless, rational, and relatable.

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

20. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I just wish that Heather Sinclair would update Discordant. I love that story.