1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Aberforth's cynicism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ninclow, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Do anyone else agree that it is possible Aberforth remained so close to Hogwarts because it was where Albus was? I have this image in my head that Aberforth, while bitter and resentful towards Albus for what happened to Ariana, he felt some sort of brotherly sense of duty to help his older sibling in some way? To protect Dumbledore from himself, or even perhaps, to protect others from him? Keeping an open eye on things during both of the wars and the time in between and verbally scolding Albus for his shortcomings and thus try to keep him 'on track'?

For example, whilst Aberforth (I think) is likely to share Albus's view on Muggles and the uprising of Lord Voldemort, Aberforth partially blamed the whole war on Albus and felt the man could somehow have done a lot more to prevent it by taking a different course of action when Riddle was a school boy if he had 'bothered to', joining the Order as a way of helping Albus clean up his own mess?

I see Aberforth as someone who have been hardened by a though life, who is cynic and bitter, and whilst not necessarily as knowledgeable as Headmaster Dumbledore, is even smarter than him and more rational, and having a more jaded view on Albus than most, he is better equipped to see through the latter's schemes, which often, if not always, is pretty immoral in nature. I dread to think the reaction of Aberforth when he discovered that Dumbledore allowed Snape to hand information on Order members to Voldemort and practically sacrificed Hestia Jones in favor of maintaining and securing Snape's position as a double spy... What do you guys think?