1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Acceptable Canon Euphemisms: And Where To Use Them!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Averis, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This thread evolved from a discussion in Pet Peeves v.9. We were having argument about the proper use of 'Merlin's beard' rather than 'Jesus Christ' (or vice versa). Most people seem satisfied with Harry and Hermione using "Oh, Merlin!" as a swear rather than "God!" or "Jesus!", but there are also people who are annoyed by it. Mostly, these is because of overuse by certain authors, but even really good ones can improperly (or annoyingly) use these euphemisms.

This got me thinking: how can DLP begin to change/add to the normal euphemisms used in canon?

Let's start with a basic definition (just to keep people on subject):

A good canon example:
    A fanon example:
    Obviously, the more shocking, the less likely it will catch on, but perhaps we make some pretty decent ones that will actually be useable in fanfiction (or, conversely, ones that we've already seen used to great effect in FF).

Small suggestion to start: "one too many Sugar Quills"

To be used instead of saying someone is overweight/eats too much sweets.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was wondering how long it would take to see a quote from Bromance. 9 minutes, apparently. I was expecting "Railroad her like the Hogwarts' Express!"

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It probably would be a start to run through canon first ;)

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Wizarding_idioms
    (For once, it's actually useful: most is sourced, and even if it isn't, it doesn't matter for FF.)

I'm particularly partial to "The fire's lit, but the cauldron's empty".

5. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

Canon euphemisms? The books were written for kids, it's not much she could've written without sending the so-called "Morals Guardians" panties in a twist, even through euphemisms.

6. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Doesn't stop them from being used. Just because they aren't explicit, doesn't mean people wouldn't've used them.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Now I'm envisioning a world where some common muggle curse words didn't migrate into the Wizarding vernacular.

Harry grabbed a fistful of floo powder once Ron disappeared. "Right, Potter, you've got this," he mumbled, chucking the powder into the fireplace. "Diagon Alley!"

As usual the floo jerked Harry through a dozen fireplaces, spinning him around like a damned top, before spitting him out unceremoniously onto the floor. The Weasley family erupted into snickers as Ron offered him a hand up.

"Shite! Why does it alwa-" Harry broke off mid-curse as Mrs. Weasley bounded over, her wand already in his face and waving.

"Evanesco!" She peered at him, scant inches from his face. "Did I get it dear? Honestly, you'd think Tom would keep his floors clear of shite."

"What?" Harry asked, confused. "No, I-"

"Well, I don't see any left on the floor," she said, giving Fred and George a suspicious glance. "But you really should try to exit the floo gracefully dear, you never know when the last time some of these floors might have been cleaned."

Ron clapped Harry on the back, startling him out of his daze. "We'll practice this summer mate, no worries. Can't have the Savior of the Wizarding World falling into a bunch of shite because he can't get out of the floo properly."

"What?" asked Harry hopelessly as Ron dragged him out into the shopping district.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

"By all the hairs in the whiskers of Kûrvi-Tasch!"

Wait, wrong story.

9. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

She went around it by getting crap past the radar. This page has some good examples.

10. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Just thought of one:

"Salazar's Vanishing Balls!"

Is good or bad? I'm I trying too hard?

11. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Bad. You're trying too hard.