1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Acts Infernal by samvimes - K?

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Bittersweet Freedom, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

Title: Acts Infernal
    Author: samvimes
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Action, Angst
    DLP Category: AU
    Pairing: None
    Summary: An old man in Diagon Alley has a story to tell, if the price is right: about the gates of Hades, a silver boy and a sable boy, a cast-off angel, and a knife that can sever your soul.

Link

4/5 Keep in mind it's an AU. A lot of what threw me off were the small inane didn't-have-to-be-there changes. Like Draco smoking. Or Remus as a bartender. Seriously could chosen a different job. Also, Draco's appearance was also pretty random.

Excellent premise, rest of ch. 1 bit boring. Story really starts rolling in Ch.2.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Rym

Rym Auror

That's quite a cliffhanger, buddy.

3. Bittersweet Freedom

Bittersweet Freedom Second Year

Sorry. Accidently clicked Enter. Fixed now.

4. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Again beautiful writing marred by stupidity. I got midway through the second chapter, to the point were Harry blithely decides to let Draco, who just admitted to being a Death Eater on a mission from Voldemort, come with him. Not only does Harry not do shit, but neither does Lupin or Dumbledore.

There were numerous other little things that irked me, but that was huge. Really good writing, but the author decided to force a stupid plot device on us that doesn't make sense because it's what she wanted to write.

The author also pushed a bunch of different mythologies together and frankly it didn't work well. It didn't seem like an organic meshing, no real synthesis of them took place. It was "oh here's a name from this mythology." "Oh here's a name from that mythology"

Also the conversation between Lucious and Draco had me rolling on the floor laughing, which I'm assuming was absolutely not the intent of the author. I don't care how AU the story was it was ridiculous. "Fed dark magic with your mother's milk" GTFO.

Beautiful writing does not make up for poor plotting, forced plot devices and a poorly meshed world.

2-2.5/5