1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Adsense Advertisements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

If you haven't noticed (and you might not have ;)) I've added Google Adsense ads to the footer. These are pretty unobtrusive, and if you don't want to view them just click the little arrow which will collapse them and remember the setting. This is to help support the site, as we do burn a ton of bandwidth a month (though nothing we can't easily handle...we have a dedicated server). If you really wish to help us a little more, just click an ad or two every once in a while. Just browsing around on the forums helps us this way. If anyone has any comments or suggestions just reply here. :)

Just know that I'll never do any sort of deep integration like some forums with first post of thread as adsense, adsense ghost threads, and so on. My limit would be header, footer, and perhaps sidebar, but even then I'm not trying to pay for the entire site, just help a little bit. :)

Also, if you don't already run Mozilla Firefox you can find a link on the same panel to take you to a download which also benefits DLP.

Edit: Now you can switch between three modes in UserCP -> Edit Options...On, Full Bar; On, Link Bar; and Off. Turning off the ads won't help us any, but if the full bar really distracts you, you can always use the smaller link bar.

2. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Heh, I didn't notice actually. Very well hidden. :)

3. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I actually had not noticed either

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

...I'm with Duke and MS on this.

5. HiddenETC

HiddenETC Second Year

I suppose it helps that the ad is the same color as the rest of the forum, not to mention that it's just a green box with words in it. Though, it's not like I noticed it either (earlier, at least).

6. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Didn't notice it at all, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

7. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

I haven't notice until you pointed it out. It's actually well placed in the site and blends well with it.

EDIT:
    I clicked on four ads as my good deed for the day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  8. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

That is just too hidden. If you want some one to at the very least click it occasionally, add the smaller adsense box available somewhere at the top. or atleast add some color to the site...

Not a rant or anything, but the fonts dont really mesh well with the page background, meaning to say it is not the most readable.

and very well hidden advertisement is not a compliment, to a web site owner/designer.:wall: In fact anything well hidden when it pertains to a website is not a compliment at all.

check out the following:

Excellent online color schema generator wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

couple of good color generators color.twysted.net and www.colormatch.dk

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No...well hidden is a complement, as you don't want ads to detract from your browsing experience. I think they're very tastefully placed.

10. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

i aggree, i think its best to have them subtly placed.

11. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Dumbest.Comment.Ever.

Dude, its fken google ads.

It's not meant to be thanking them for having good sites, its there to generate money to pay for the goddamn hosting/bandwith.

I'm pretty sure Raven couldn't give a shit about the websites advertising with google either.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No shit, the idiots who show in the ads couldn't care less who's site they're on, for all they know they're on some sort of pedo-slash-HP jerk off forum.

Just be glad they're not massive and in your face. Remember to click a few a day if you would, over time it adds up

13. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

Dude, I don’t care if the advertisements are from google, or if US Army themselves gave you tons of money to place ads. You did not understand my comments.

From a web designing stand point, and I can debate on it for a while, there are a few things given.

I could go about listing things, but this forum is not for the debate about web design issue, why don’t you go to a web design forum and check out if my comments are stupid or logical.

Things hidden, hard to find on a website (data that is not hidden based on user account etc, data available to every one who visits the website), should not be hidden.

How well you present things is a different issue, that is aesthetics, and every one has their own view of things look good.

I am not talking about aesthetics, I am talking about the basics of what makes a website good and not just mediocre, or just outright bad, what makes a fic a stained-future and not a nonjon (hey he is one of my fav authors :D, like everything my preferences are debatable).

I am sure Lord Ravenclaw would prefer if those advertisements were clicked, that is possible, if they are noticed, else very few members of this site are going to know that there is a addition to the website layout, and are going to ignore the advertisements.

Research has shown, that a small change in the website layout usually goes unnoticed by users. The keyword here being Website Layout. The eye will just pass over it and will not recognize it as something new. This can be good for adding new things.

But you can see the downside of it, if you want to bring something to user’s attention in the initial phase of the rollout of the change into production.

I do know what I am talking about, and my peers do generally not consider my views stupid, and if you do not understand a word of my retort, I can make it even clearer.

If I don’t notice it, I won’t click it.

Offcourse the other way to make people notice, is to tell it to them, all of them.

You have to bring to notice in one fashion or the other.

14. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Maybe he doesn't want the ads to be noticed since they don't have to be clicked to be successful? Maybe he doesn't want to change the look of the forums and doesn't want to annoy the members by placing huge banners into our faces (which I am terribly annoyed by)? Or maybe you are just an idiot.

And, if he didn't bring notice to it by this thread...

15. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

They have to be clicked to be payed, that is how google adsense works, they pay per click (this is the technical term for it), unlike some other advertisement brokers who pay only if a user buys something, they then pay a percentage of the buy.

No, not everyone would have visited this topic, in this forum. So as a general rule of thumb, probably 10% of the users would have seen this topic.

I am not advocating huge banners, I am not advocating garish colors, did you even read what I wrote, completely.

All I am saying is... ahhhh I give up... end of discussion for me, at least on this thread, I am just wasting database space.

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

:banana:

That'd probably be it

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Adsense does not work by pay-per-click...not entirely. It also works by 1000 impressions (views). Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Also if any members were annoyed by the current ads I put settings in the UserCP to either make it a link bar or disable them completely.

18. Bungler

Bungler Guest

I dont think they are hidden its more like they fit in with the layout of the Forum. They dont feel like they are in your face so I dont feel the need to disable them. (Hate it when the advertisement stand out from the site I'm on)

19. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

The argument is already useless, so I think this thread should be locked and perhaps pinned.

20. Lord Bill

Lord Bill ¯\(º_o)/¯ DLP Supporter

I think this argument is useless, but I think the thread is fine. I figured it was here so Raven could let people know about the ads and get some feedback on them, not for a debate on how to run a website. And I shall do so...

I heard about the ads and I actually had to look for them to find them, so that's how unobtrusive they are. Good jobs on that one. I like to click a bunch of them to make me feel like I'm helping the site, you all should too.

So, in summary, in the words of Coach Z, "You did a great jeorb."