1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP All Guardsmen Party by Shoggy - Unrated - Warhammer 40K

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thaumologist, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: All Guardsmen Party
    Author: Shoggy
    Rating: Unrated (originally posted on 4chan, albeit a SFW board)
    Genre: Action/Sci-fi/adventure
    Fandom: Warhammer 40K
    Pairings: None
    Links:
    -1d4chan
    -Googledrive

Summary:
    "The All Guardsmen Party is a pretty good series of Storytimes by the writefag Shoggy. It follows a group of Guardsmen from their origin in the bloody trenches, to their recruitment by the Inquisition, and through a series of adventures filled with xenos, heretics, and incompetent superiors." - from 1d4chan

"These are the stories of my group's Dark Heresy campaign. So far it has been about a bunch of guardsmen who's regiment gets eaten by nids then sign up with the Inquisition as discount labor for newbie Interrogators." - from the googledrive, and the author himself.

Length ~ 190,000 words

Shoggy is a pretty popular green writer for /tg/, normally writing dramatisations of his gaming groups' shenanigans. They're also worth a look through (links on the googledrive). He wrote the "Everyone is John" time loop piece, and Shoggy the Seldom dog, which I'd read elsewhere first.

Updates come every month or so, but are massive, so sort of make up for it.

The story follows a group of Imperial Guardsmen following an attack by Tyranid forces, played in the format of Only War. Following that, all the survivors get drafted into the Inquisition and the group now plays Dark Heresy.

Despite all the PCs being (surprisingly) Guardsmen, there is quite a diverse cast. Sarge, a sergeant, leads the bunch of them, and tries to stop everyone from being eaten by daemons, orks, tyranids, hungry plants, and the forces of Chaos. He also has to fight the insidious corruption of Tau anime, and the lure of the waifu.
    Doing this requires some... creative interpretation of commands, on occaision. Also guesswork, gut instinct, and looting everywhere to the bedrock.

The stories are fun, however they are a re-telling of someone else's campaign. As such, the characters' fates are not up to the author. There's no promise of a happy ending for anyone involved.
    And considering the system, things can get very violent, and very messy, very quickly.

5/5
    from me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

All Guardsman Party is the brightest part of any time I check suptg. Definitely up there with Shadowrun Storytime for all time greats

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I love this whole thing. Been following it religiously since Nubby's Girlfriend was first posted and never been disappointed. 5/5 easy.

4. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Whilst the main story hasn't updated, Shoggy's put up all his responses to the weekly storyprompt threads. They're not massive updates, and you might have seen them before if you browse /tg/ anyway. But they are amusing and worth flicking through.

5. Thaumologist

High Score:
    New update, coming about ten days before it was promised.

Also, it's being moved onto a new site, so I don't know how long the googledrive will be staying up.