1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Altered Destinies by Mike313 - T - Evangelion

Discussion in 'Evangelion' started by Kensington, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Altered Destinies
    Author: Mike313
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Pairing: Shinji/Misato
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 192,107
    Updated: February 11, 2009
    Published: October 3, 2008

Summary: A different decision made in a battle and a simple act of curiosity cause Misato to be changed into a teenager, altering both her destiny and that of Shinji Ikari. Shinji/Misato.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4574288/1/Altered_Destinies

In my opinion the best Eva fanfic in the past few years. Clean writing, terrific characterization, smooth pacing and a complete blast to read. Recently completed as well allowing reader (Party A) to enjoy story (Party B) in one complete sitting.

5/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I completely agree with you Kensington, every now and then I wander into the Eva fandom and this is certainly the best Evangelion fic I have read.

Evangelion as a manga was superb and I enjoyed it very much, rather than HP and Naruto the canon was something I think of as being better than the best of any possible fanon. This isn't as good as canon but it is still excellent, the way the author manages to stick with the plotlines laid out up to and including the 16 angel were brilliant, although he did at times have the characters make some slightly OOC decisions in order for that to be the case. The ending was great and the epilogue, well it was nice and fluffy and really I liked that too.

This fic does what all good fanfiction does it uses canon, reworks the characters slightly, in this case slightly improbably (de-aging?), while still keeping the same basic plot that attracted me to the fandom in the first place. Evangelion was not something that had me interested because of its characters who all kind of ended up sucking in canon, it was the excellent plot, the christian symbolism and the rather refreshing, yet extremely frustrating, anti-heroic protagonist (shinji)... and the giant robots :awesome. These are all qualities which this fic uses, but he sort of turns Shinji from anti-heroic very much to heroic.

I enjoyed it very much and so anything less than a 5/5 seems inappropriate.

On a different note, this fic would probably be fairly confusing if you don't have prior knowledge of the Evangelion universe.

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

So I take it you have yet to read Shinji and Warhammer40K, Children of an Elder God, Thousand Shinji, and Once More with Feeling?:p

Anyways, I'll edit in a review once I get a chance to look through this recommendation.:)

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I...hate de-aging for the sake of a pairing. Seriously, if you're going to try a matchup like this, don't take an easy way out to avoid having to deal with the age gap. It comes off as cheap and contrived. I'd rather read Shinji/Adult!Misato anyway. I haven't really read this, so I'll reserve judgment other than that point.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Read through it... there are other far superior Eva fics out there... But it's... decent I guess... a lot of stuff is just rehashing with a different face thrown in doing nothing... which is essentially what happens a lot. So for basically just rehashing the entire story with a character sitting there doing nothing until way in I give it a 2/5.

6. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I read through the first fix chapters, and it really is a pretentious rehash of canon. If I had to clarify what was wrong with this story, I would say that it had some good and amusing (crack-fic sort of humor) ideas going for it, but they were executed poorly. The characterization is average, the grammar and spelling are good (though not great), but a lot of events and changes that took place were very pretentious, and in terms of actual plot in this story, I was sorely disappointed.:(

I rate this a 2/5 as well.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009