1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

American Gods(Starz)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Quick Ben, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I hope they go all out. I did a driving trip while listening to the audiobook of american gods, and holy shit was that almost a downright trippy experience.

Here's hoping it gets off the ground. First and most important question, who do you want to play Mr. Wednesday?

3. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

I'd give my right foot for Christopher Waltz to play Wednesday, but I know thats not gonna happen. I don't even remember if he fits the description right but thats who I think of when I imagine Mr. Wednesday.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bump, because it's now being broadcast, and holy shit it was good.

Trailer 1.
    Trailer 2.

The series focuses on Shadow Moon (his mother was a hippy), an ex-con who finds himself employed as an errand boy for the mysterious Mr Wednesday after a run of bad luck, and he quickly gets embroiled in the early stages of a very dangerous game...

It's one of my favourite books, so I was a little wary, but based on the first episode they've done an outstanding job. Ian McShane certainly captures the charisma of Mr Wednesday, and Ricky Whittle does a fair job as Shadow. They've already done one of the iconic scenes from the book, which was exactly as disturbing as it should have been, and the story as a whole already seems to have been sensitively expanded in the adaptation. Plus, the whole production is just beautiful, even the grim bits. Especially the grim bits, tbh.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

So happy to finally see this. I hear they have expanded and updated some aspects of the original story. Most noticeably Technical Boy in the first episode which worked well, I imagine most of the New Gods will get subtly updated to make their incarnations more current since that's kind of the point of them. They are clearly going to use buckets of blood in this but this is an almost artisticly appled gore fest, which a good way to do it.

I find it a bit jarring that Shadow gets called Shadow Moon fairly often as I could have sworn that Shadow was not his actual name which tied into the fact you never found out much about him.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first episode was great. It's looking like they're approaching this properly. It's not a run of the mill drama with fantasy trappings. It's going all in.

This was like watching the opening to a televised modern day myth. And that matches Gaiman's style perfectly.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read the book for the first time a month ago.

Excuse me while I go watch this show I had no idea was being made.

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's bizarre, beautiful, and I dug it. I can't imagine how it'll be to newbies though, it's really out there.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much this. Feels like it should have been a two parter. Slightly cut down on the wtf for people going in spoiler free.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let me enlighten you, I had no idea what the fuck was going on, at all. Originally, I thought it was just gonna be a bunch of myth-y vignettes or some such.

Naturally, I goggled it and got the point of the series in a sentence - is that a spoiler? If not, McShane's identify surely was, lol, unless that's largely irrelevant...

I think a lot of people will bounce off if they haven't read the book, unless someone tells them the tagline premise. It was definitely beautiful though.

And that scene somehow managed to remain titillating throughout, until I realised wtf was going on rofl.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was gorgeous. Thought it could have used a little less snappy repartee (very Gaiman-y) and a little more plot development than what we got in the last 6 minutes, but yeah. Enjoyable.

12. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having slept on its still enjoyable the update of
    The Technical Boy
    was very appropriate. Excited to see
    Media
    . My biggest complaint would be the CGI in the first dream sequence. It was of noticeably lesser quality.

13. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Yeah, this was pretty bizarre, but nonetheless enjoyable. The only major gripe I'd have so far is that the CGI is not nearly good enough for how wide spread it's seeming like it's going to be. It's not bad, exactly, but it's not good enough that I ceased to notice it, either.

Edit: It seems like my complaints about the CGI were related to the source I was using, not the CGI itself. It's pretty good.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Episode two carried on strongly. Peter Stormare is amazing as Czernobog, the whole section with him was equal parts funny and scary. And the opening, with Mr Nancy, was electrifying.

Wasn't entirely sure what the point of the scene with Bilquis was, other than to elaborate on what's already been established about her. Still, it all looked impressive.

15. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

This really oozes atmosphere and enjoyed every moment. I'm impressed.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    I mean, I hate to be cynical, but 'tits' I'm guessing.

The show's still batshit nonsensical (a little less incomprehensible than the first episode), but the performances are fucking outstanding.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    In fairness, there were rather more erect cocks in that scene than I was expecting too. (Slightly more) equal opportunity fan-service!

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Hah!

I do declare that this is the first erect cock I've seen on TV. Felt strange.

I laughed my ass off when the picture in the frame was replaced by said cock, lol.

19. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I'm one of those people whive never read the books, nor heard of them, until now. Confusing doesn't even begin to describe the experience.

20. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I dunno. I'm thoroughly confused, but enjoying every moment regardless. The performances in this show really are pretty outstanding. Though I will say, if the show continues down this road of leaving with a cliffhanger every episode, I'll probably stop watching and wait for all the episodes to air, so I can binge watch them.