1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP And a Shepherd to Lead Us - M - Half-Life/Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Download, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: And a Shepherd to Lead Us
    Author: A Very Thirsty Megalomaniac
    Rating: M
    Genre: SciFi
    Pairing: None but I think lesbian!Shep was implied at some point
    Chapters: 27 and counting
    Words: 132k
    Published: 19th March, 2014
    Summary: With the Earth ravaged by Combine negligence and xenian wildlife, the human/vortigaunt combined alliance takes to the stars. Commander Adrian Shepard (descendant of Cpl. Adrian Shephard, whose "H" was a casualty to history and poor spelling) sets to combat the new Reaper threat while shadow forces struggle to determine what humanity's future is going to look like.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10199872/1/And-a-Shepherd-to-Lead-Us

Prompted by Xandrel I went looking for a decent Half-Life crossover the other day. The only thing I could find was this.

The story does a good job at merging the Half-Life and Mass effect universes together almost seamlessly. The character are reasonably believable.

Unlike a majority of Mass Effect fics, it's not a rehash by the looks of it.

I'm floating around a 3/5 or 4/5 atm with this. I'll give a harder number once I've slept on it.

2. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's an novel concept, I'll give it that. However, it felt too much like a playthrough of Mass Effect GOTYE by Valve. There's not enough divergence from the plot of the games for me to justify reading it through over simply playing them.

Pacing's all over the place and the characters are varied, but flat in comparison to what the games give us. There's hardly any suspense, and the layer of intrigue doesn't look like it will resolve itself until the fic reaches game 3. At the rate it's going, there won't be any payoff until Half-Life 3 is released.

2/5.