1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animeeshon Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by coleam, Sep 18, 2014.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Since no one's made a thread yet and stuff is due to start airing in the next week or two, here's the fall chart:

I'm mostly interested in continuing shows this season - a lot of the new stuff just isn't very interesting.

What I will be watching:

F/SN Remake - This needs no introduction. The hype is out of control, honestly, but I'm hoping it lives up to it.

Log Horizon S2 - One of my favorite shows from last fall/spring. It's often compared to SAO due to the use of the "trapped in a game" trope, but that's really where the similarities stop. Log Horizon goes into more of the political/social side of the MMO world, while SAO focuses mainly on the action and the life-or-death struggle.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road - Another one of my favorites returning for S2. Good sports anime without too much in the way of OPness/bullshit "special moves." Plus it's about bikes. I like bikes.

Trinity Seven - I've enjoyed the manga, so I'll give the anime a shot. I've discovered that it's kinda hard to stick with anime where I've read the manga though since I already know what's coming, so I don't know if I'll keep up with it.

Ore, Twintail Ni Narimasu - Looks ridiculous, but could be hilarious if it doesn't try to take itself seriously. I'll give it the three-episode test.

Akame Ga Kill - continuing from the summer, apparently

SAO II - also continuing

Shows I'll probably watch:

Psycho Pass S2 - I actually still need to finish S1, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Chaika S2 - Same story as Psycho Pass.

2. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Trinity Seven, Nanatsu no Taizai, Hitsugi no Chaika 2 and, above all, Fate/Stay Night.

Which is better than most seasons for me so that's a win.

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Log Horizon S2 will be the beast. Also SAO II

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Fate/Stay Night, Log Horizon 2, Magic Kaito and Psycho-Pass 2. Will wait for a general opinion about few other series.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apart from the handful of awesome series that are continuing or getting a second season, new F/SN is probably all I'm going to pick up.

Akatsuki no Yona and World Trigger maybe. If I'm bored.

6. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

How could any of you deny the greatness that is Terra Formars? Humanity having to fight a battle for mars against mutated cockroaches, what could be better?

Seriously, who comes up with this shit?

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Considering the mutated cockroaches are caricatures of black people? Japan, or any of the Old Confederacy.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Sure is a lot of trash.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy Fuck... I thought you might have been exaggerating.

You were not.

[​IMG]

10. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Just for reference. Terra Formars is the 13th best selling manga of the year so far, selling 1.8m copies.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That is just too good for words.

12. Feoffic

I tend to call it Klanman Rider for a reason.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Saw a lot of hype around Grisaia no Kaijutsu, so I decided to watch the first episode. Was pleasantly surprised - it's got some funny moments, the characters aren't really cookie-cutter stereotypes, and the last few minutes of the episode kinda threw me for a loop. Unless it goes seriously downhill in the next couple episodes, I'll add it to my list for the season.

Edit: the description on the anime chart is pretty bad; no wonder I wasn't interested at first. It's apparently based on a VN that's very good though.

14. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Just saw that there's now an anime adaptation of Parasyte. And I'm laughing forever. Read the manga. Found it alright. Never feel the need to re-read/watch the anime.

15. Feoffic

The first episode is pretty solid. I'll be giving it a shot to see if it can keep my attention over multiple weeks.

The first episode of Psycho Pass 2 is out, and it's a let down. It's mostly all about getting re-acquainted with the old faces, meeting some new ones, and getting monologued at for the last few minutes. Everyone except Akane is basically incompetent, and the quality of the writing went down the drain; considering Urobuchi isn't writing this show at all, that isn't much of a surprise.

I really want to know what Urobuchi is writing these days. The last few shows that his name was attached to were mostly written by other people, and they showed.

16. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

He's been working on Kamen Rider Gaim.

17. Feoffic

Well, at least it's something worthwhile.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Dunno whether I'd say Psycho Pass 2 was a let down. There's not much in it, but that was the same with the first few episodes of season 1 (which in my opinion, only really took off a few episodes later). I think it's just trying to show what type of inspector Akane has become after all her experiences in season 1. I do find the new characters seem like poor replacements to Kougami, Masaoka and Kagari, but probably shouldn't expect much from just the first episode. Season 1 was really made by Makishima Shougo as an absolutely brilliant antagonist. He set a high bar and I wonder if they'll be able to create a character as interesting and charismatic for season 2.

With Grisaia no Kaijutsu, I can certainly see why people got hyped about it. It got me interested enough to want to see the second episode, but I'm generally not a fan of that eroge VN inspired style of anime, so I'm really not keeping my hopes up. Really was only the last sequence that got me slightly interested.

Ookami shoujo to Kuro Ouji is a fun looking shoujo that I think I'll continue. Kinda reminds me of Kaichou wa Maid-sama (though don't think it'll be as good). Doesn't feel particularly high quality or anything though.

Donten ni Warau didn't interest me at all. But at the same time, I feel like the first episode gives you no idea about what it's about. It felt almost like a quasi-samurai era slice of life comedy, where the comedy wasn't even funny. But the post-ED scene makes it look like there may be more of a plot appear? Either way, don't think I'll continue.

Madan no ou to Vanadis seemed kind of stupid in the first episode. You're a soldier who gets captured by an enemy who has massacred your army and killed your King, you're given free reign of their castle, so you just be polite and be friendly? Main character's emotion just feel wrong. At the same time, I felt the same way about Akame ga Kill (which felt like a similar anime) and despite the fact it's not exactly high quality, I've been really enjoying it. So might continue on hopes it goes a similar way.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei was another "meh" one for me. Initially, I quite liked the characters and the comedy. After they got their powers though, my interest quickly dropped. Won't be continuing.

19. Feoffic

Considering the closing lines, I think that the villain is getting setup as a counterpoint to Akane -- someone who just naturally has a low Crime Coefficient, but does horrible things instead of good ones.

In morbid curiosity, I checked out the Terra Formars anime, and holy shit censorship, Batman.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Sounds a bit like a copy of Shougo though. Having a low crime coefficient (because Sibyl couldn't read him) was his thing too. The new antagonist needs something else going for them I think - not just being a copy of the last one.

I'm kind of hoping that Kougami ends up being Akane's anatagonist though - wouldn't that be fun.