1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary Ask a Chef: Or Zombie explains Cooking

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Zombie, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chewy. You'd want something super lean to make it work. There's people that like it that way. But it also makes it nearly impossible to get a crispy skin and that's what you want with pork belly, imo.

2. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So non-food question. Is there any way to keep a hob clean? I was told placing a foil underneath would do it but is that a plastic foil or aluminium foil? Does it even work?

3. Zombie

High Score:
    I mean you can put aluminum foil under there. But the best way to keep it clean is to not make a mess ;)

4. Legacy

Legacy Order Member DLP Supporter

Moving over to fine dining in a few days. Going to be very different from management and corporate kitchens. Any advice to not be fired, thrown out, or have things thrown at me by the chef?

5. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Senpai, I've been eating healthily and losing weight recently.

This is a fucking disgrace and must be stopped, so I want to reclaim my Scottish heritage with a fuck-ton of deep-fried battered food. Literally everything in my pantry is gonna get battered. I don't have fancy cookware, so I'm just going to ghetto it in an ordinary pan.

Do you have any tips for making batter which doesn't end up a soggy mess?

6. Zombie

High Score:
    Hot oil temperature and being able to submerge it. So hopefully you got a decent sized pot that you can get to heat.

Don't put the batter on thick either, dip and then shake it off to get the excess gone. Then cook until golden brown. I'd keep an eye on your heat, and cook in small batches so the oil temp doesn't drop too much when you're dropping shit in.

Also don't use chilled anything when deepfrying. I've seen some recipes that call for like chilled soda water. Just use room temperature.

Also, soda water instead or tap will make your crust crunchier.

7. CareOtters

Huh. Yeah, I've seen a lot of recipes suggesting chilling the batter first. Also suggesting vodka instead of water for a more volatile reaction, but I'd rather drink the vodka.

8. Zombie

High Score:
    All the chilling does is reduce your oil temp. I'm sure that its something about the gluten and ya ya ya, but I've never had bad results keeping the batter at room temp.

Just be sure to let it rest.

If someone has a counter point, I'd be willing to spend more time on why I prefer roomtemp v. chilled.

9. CareOtters

I am getting some serious mileage outta this thread. Hope y'all don't mind my constant and relentless need for positive reinforcement.

I just bought a motherfucking mandoline. It's great. I love cutting things into uniform itty bitty slices. But what the fuck can I do with this thing? Already made dauphinoise potatoes, homemade chips/crisps and hash browns which were rad, but I'd like to expand my culinary palate to include at least one non-potato item.

Any suggestions?

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Buy a goddamned mithril glove. As someone missing the top 1/4" of his right middle finger, I can vouch for their usefulness.

11. Innomine

Innomine Order Member Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My mother love her mandolin. She's also perpetually in a rush. The two are not a good combination haha...

@CareOtters You can use it for pretty much anything. Stir Fry veggies, salad stuff like peppers, cucumber. Slice up some Zuchini extremely fine, and saute briefly in some olive oil with some garlic. That's good. At least, that's what I see it used for. I don't have one myself.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    Coleslaw, fruit salad, stir fry veggies. I like it for finely slicing vegetables and for making shoestring French fries. Definitely get you some good hand protection as was said already. If I remember I'll give you some recipes to use later.

13. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the subject of mandolins, @Zombie, do you have a professional preference between them and food processors?

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix the other day. A four-episode show, with each episode based around the components in the title.

I think in... Salt? She goes to Japan and we see the Japanese making dashi with a mandoline - to flake dried bonito fish into thin, transparent slices. Forms the base for a lot of Japanese dishes.

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That’s really dependent on what your trying to do more than anything else. I’m not anywhere near Zombies level but although they preform similar functions one does not substitute for the other in most cases as I’ve found.

16. Innomine

Innomine Order Member Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, they are both similar, but with very different use cases. Unless you are trying to cut an industrial amount for dauphinoise potatoes. :p

17. Zombie

High Score:
    Food processor can be used to do slices but usually it's for mincing. A mandolin is more for slicing and honestly is just an unpowered food processor.

I use either or. Food processor is good for speed and mandoline is if I don't feel like doing a lot of cleaning afterwards.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Food processors are OP when it comes time for pie season.

19. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Mandolines? Ratatouiile (confit biyaldi)!or layered veg kebab things. Skewer a bunch of slices, season/salt, olive oil, grill.
    Also, aren't food processors easy as hell to clean? Pour in some soap, some water, pulse a few times and rinse.

20. Zombie

High Score:
    So, request for everyone, and since I haven't really contributed anything detailed on this thread in a bit.

We're going into several major holidays that usually have food involved. What are some things you want to know about, that's not been covered in the thread previously. Try and give me topics that I can write about, or if its a pretty singular topic, have some decent followup prepared. I'm willing to dedicate some time to this as long as everyone else is.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018