1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary Ask a Chef: Or Zombie explains Cooking

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Zombie, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

Went with the bread crumb method, and you're definitely right, the fish was pretty bland, but not the worst I've eaten.

Thanks for the advice though, my dad had been thinking of just pan searing them with some salt on them. I am glad we didn't.

2. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    @Zombie

Had a friend coming over for pizza and my overnight dough got stuck to parchment paper. It was fucked, but that was a good opportunity to try your method.

It took minimal kneading and I let it proof in the oven which had some residual heat it (maybe 30 degrees C) and it came out great! I've got this Pyrex pizza dish, which while not as great as a steel/stone still does an OK job. Pretty happy with the pizza, cheers.

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

So I'm in need of a new knife because someone decided to use my old one as a crowbar. I'm beyond pissed, but also kind of looking forward to the excuse to get a good quality knife.

Any kind of recommendations on what to look for in a knife that should last a good long while?

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly? Price. And then general knife care. People sharpen their knives themselves, and I can't tell you how much of a mistake this is. You should get a knife with a pedigree and someone that will take care of it for you.

You need a honing rod for sure, but that should be the only thing you ever use on it yourself. Send it off to get it cared for by the creator. Also, a magnetic strip v. a knife block, or just throwing it in a drawer. Not even one of those plastic sheaths are enough because anything you do habitually that would damage the edge will fuck your knife blade up. That and the moisture it traps will cause pockets of rust on your blade, which requires considerably more knife care.

I have a whole ceremony when I'm done using my knives. Wipe them down, oil them, clean them. And then store them properly. Hone between use, wipe after wards because you don't want metal in the food you cut.

Brands?

Shun is great, if a bit pricey. Do you want like a general purpose chef knife? Or are you wanting something more specific? This 7inch Santoku is pretty multi- purpose. Lifetime warranty. Great for chopping. If you got someone using this to whinge shit apart, I want you to take it and cut their throat with it though.

And probably what I'd suggest the most. I'd get various sizes on that, because the offset from the cutting board is perfect at 7 inch, but the 5.5 inch or the 4 inch would be even better for like cutting into things.

I'd take a look at this site, and if you have a particular style you have questions, ask me, I'll be happy to answer. I have an insurance policy on my knives, that's how much I care for mine. They're worth more than most people's cars.

5. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

I'm actually kind of curious about the knives this guy is making. Apparently he's buying knife blanks made of VG-10 steel, then custom making handles and selling them at a fairly modest price. (120~$ CAD/AUS) (His website: https://www.yourlastknife.com/shop-1 )

According to one of his comments, it's the same steel used in those Shun knives. Any idea if they'd be any good?

(I totally want to get a Shun knife someday though, a cousin of mine has one and says it was a better purchase than his car. Unfortunately, I can't afford to shell out that much money just yet, what with my dog's recent surgery.)

But yeah, just a general purpose chef knife. Just need a new knife for general chopping of ingredients/etc. Figure I'd like to look into getting a decent knife, rather than one of the generic 20~$ knives from Walmart/etc.

Which means basically any knife will have to be ordered online, because there's nearly no stores in town that carry chef knives. (Other than a few stores that order stuff in for restaurants... you'd be amazed how many people in this town think the knives from Walmart/Canadian Tire are amazing/top quality products.)

6. Zombie

High Score:
    Yeah, Walmart knives.. please no.

If its the same steel as Shun, then I'd say go for it. You're going to want a handle that fits in your hand comfortably, and if he can give you a comprable edge, then go for it. I don't know of any other brands other than from like a Willams Sonomam, which they have useful stuff. There's also this site, which looks decent, and you might have some midrange type stuff there.

7. Innomine

Innomine Order Member Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always been a huge fan of the brand Global, for knives that do a good job, but also aren't stupidly expensive. You're looking at around $100 at least though, for a decent chef's knife.

I've had mine for about 10 years, and, although Zombie will probably castrate me for this, the company also makes their own knife sharpener tool which is extremely easy to use, and seems to have no problem keeping my knife extremely sharp.

A good set of knives is one of my first priorities after I move next, however.

8. Zombie

High Score:
    I mean, if you know how to use it right, sure.

I prefer to let a professional do it. I could sharpen my own knives, but the amount I pay for the, its worth it to go the extra step.

Global is a good brand. I've honestly used Shun for so long I've forgotten any other brand that would be worth while.

9. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

...what's the issue on knife blocks? The danger of running the blade edge against the wood?

That's pretty much dead-on what my knife is; a VG-10 blade I bought and put a handle on. I've been really happy with it. Two years in (honing between uses and oiling every time it goes back in the knife block) and I can still shave a tomato with it. I paid $60 for blade-only; you can get a similar quality knife commercially for ~$80 or so (e.g. this), or the custom handle ones you found. Blade-wise I think they're all probably much of the same. If I were in the market I'd probably splurge the extra $40 for one of those custom ones with an epoxy and aluminum flake handle rather than the mass-market one on amazon. But then I'm a whore for a nice aesthetic.

10. Zombie

High Score:
    That and rust because moisture and bacteria. Knife blocks are a no no in a restaurant. Makes sense to practice it at home.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Tang should run all the way through the knife. Nothing pisses me off more than a knife falling out of the handle. You'd be surprised the number of times that's happened with me and 'big brands'

11. pbluekan

pbluekan Auror DLP Supporter

That said, at home, you should always dry your knives before you put them into a block.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    Ye. That's an obvious one. I like my magnetic strip. Ease of access and handy.

13. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Which celebrity chef do you think is most likely to be ousted as a paedophile?

My money's on Jamie Oliver.

14. Zombie

High Score:
    Well, Mario is ahead of everyone at this point since he got shit canned from all his endorsements for sexual harassment. He's got a long road to recovery at this point, but everyone's been surprisingly hush hush on him.

Yeah, my monies on Jamie.

He's all about the children.

15. Blinker

Blinker Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I've got a kitchen question I'd love to be helped with, can't find persuasive advice online.

I'm making a pork belly recipe for the second time, which involves boiling the pork for about 90 minutes the day before, then drying and roasting the next day. It makes lovely syrupy gravy but the actual meat and crackling last time were only ok.

The recipe says to oil and salt the meat after drying it in the fridge overnight, then roast at 180 (celsius) for 20 minutes, then at 230 to get the crackling.

Any tips at all would be very welcome, does this sound like it would work, should I change the time/temperature/drying method etc?

16. Zombie

High Score:
    General question would be are you at sea level, higher altitude, or below sea level?

17. Blinker

No more than 100 metres above sea level

18. Zombie

High Score:
    If its actual porkbelly, I'd skip the boil.

Boiling is going to make the meat tough and you're going to expel a lot of the flavor.

Preheat oven to 180C, take the meat, score the top in a diamond pattern, you're not cutting through it you just wanna score it, rub your oil and salt into the meat, place skin side down into the pan. Cook for 1.5 hours.

Then, turn your heat up to 220C, turn skin side up and let the skin crisp on the top. I thought about giving you a basting method to make the skin more crispy, but that really would only work if you're cooking on the stove top as like a sear off method. So doing it skin side down lets it cook in its own renderings. Which adds flavor.

Do this for about 45 minutes, or until the texture has a distinct sound to it when you tap on it. Let that rest out of heat for about 10 to 15 minutes after, in which time you can make a sauce out of the renderings from the baking dish.

I'd add some garlic, fennel if you have it into the sauce, with about 1/4 cup of water. Reduce that, blend it up with a hand blender if you have one, but a stand blender will work fine. Then chop some scallions to garnish.

This is a pretty traditional recipe. Some call for horse radish. Which you can add if you're wanting more of a kick.

19. Blinker

That's great, thanks

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Ever done any thing with sous vide and a pork belly? I've been kicking around ideas with it, but I'm not sure what the fat texture would be like without the normal slow roast.