1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Chaotic Harmony, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Chaotic Harmony

Chaotic Harmony Third Year

Does anyone know if the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe can support a Patriot Viper 4GB (PC3 16000)?

I git the gist of computers inner workings but am in know way an expert, and I'm planning to upgrade my pc.

Could this work or do I need a new motherboard?

2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Nope, it wont support it. The motherboard only supports DDR2 1066 and the memory is DDR3 2000. You've gotta make sure you match the numbers.

I had an Asus P5QL-E paired with some DDR2 800 memory, figuring backwards compatibility. After about a week of running, the computer quit booting, and any live CDs I used failed because there was something wrong with the memory. Long (2 months of trying to figure out what the fuck was wrong, without spending any more money) story short, finally bought some DDR2 1066 memory and computer purrs like a Ferarri. Too bad it isn't my computer...:(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

It should have been backwards compatible, as long as its all DDR2, and a lower number. I've run more than a few computers with different ram speeds, and never had any problems. Maybe something else was wrong with the memory?

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure that DDR3 isn't backwards compatible with DDR2. 90 percent sure, actually.

well, 85, at least.

Edit: DDR3 and DDR2 memory have different slot layouts. They may both had 240 pins but the designers delibrately made it so you couldn't shove DDR3 in a DDR2 slot and vice versa. So yeah, 100 percent sure now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Yea, but any motherboard with the DDR2 should work with all lower DDR2 speeds, and any DDR3 motherboard should work with any lower DDR3 speeds, as long as you dont try to put DDR3 in a DDR2 slot, and vice versa.

6. Shezza

PC3 16000 is DDR3, right? The ASUS board he's talking about only supports up to DDR2 1066.

7. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

ah, okay. I was mainly just responding to Militis saying his DDR2 800 ram wasn't compatible with his DDR2 1066 motherboard.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, it should have worked for me, so I'm guessing there was another problem. We'll find out when I build my new computer with said RAM.

OP wont be able to though, because, like Sheeza said, DDR3 and DDR2 have different pin configurations, even if they have the same number. God bless designers for having at least thought of that. Now those bitches just need to work on the ultimate way for CPU coolers to attach to the motherboard that doesn't use the current LGA-775 way. I can never get those things attached; aftermarket or stock.

That said, Sheeza! You need to look at your Denarian Renegade thread. I know of at least one person who would like for me to have an answer. :p

/end thread hijack

Edit: whoops, got the last number of the CPU socket wrong. That's what I get for typing in the dark.

9. Chaotic Harmony

Chaotic Harmony Third Year

Thank you very much everyone, saved me from wasting 200 bucks on something that wouldn't work. I wasn't sure what my motherboard would support so I deiced to ask you guys as you seem rather tech savvy.

Edit: Is there any motherboard that can support AMD and DDR3? I really don't want to have to replace my whole system just to get DDR3. This summer I may be making an Intel based PC, it all really depends on the bloody economy, so I may just throw in a DDR3 then.

10. Shezza

Don't quite me on this, but I don't think so. I think AMD is releasing their DDR3-capable boards this year, first quarter. That said, the Intel boards that do support it are bloody expensive as well. DDR3 is really good in the high end, but their low end is sub-par when compared to high-end DDR2 RAM.