1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Attack of the Deranged Mutant... by The M M - K+ - HP / Calvin&Hobbes

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by wordhammer, Jul 15, 2014.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Dark Lord! - The M M - K+ - Crossover with Calvin and Hobbes
    [Thread title field length was insufficient]

Title: Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Dark Lord
    Author: The M M
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 124,085
    Updated: Jun 1
    Published: Feb 21
    Summary: Calvin's eleven years old - well, technically, anyways, but his shorts still reach his ankles - and not much has changed. Until the letter from Hogwarts, that is. *dramatic music* *sense of foreboding* *bloodcurdling screams echoing in the distance*

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10130558/1/Attack-of-the-Deranged-Mutant-Killer-Monster-Dark-Lord

I've only read half of it so far (as that's how much was on AO3 when I found it there) but I think this is exactly what it should be- zany, funny, occasionally insightful and very much walking in the spirit of both sources.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I haven't read the entire thing yet, but the first few chapters were pretty entertaining. There are few flubs (a couple jokes kind of fell flat) but the vast majority is easy reading, and the "crack" level is rather low (with the exception of the introductory chapter, which pretty much has Calvin and Hobbes being... well, Calvin and Hobbes).

Once Calvin goes to Diagon for the first time, however, the byplay calms down a bit, and I have a feeling this is a vein it will continue in. I'll wait to rate it until I've gotta 30,000-50,000 words in, but I encourage others to read it as well. wordhammer is correct in that it blends the "nature" of each source work pretty well without losing what you'd expect from each one as a seperate entity.

TL;DR - Read this fic.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

While the writing isn't bad, in the first chapter at least, the character acts are completely random (that's okay only for Calvin and Hobbes), they seem bipolar and specially, have no consistency, in the same dialogue. The author can't write McGonagall right, and in a lesser degree Hermione too. But I'm going to wait to rate it.

4. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

On advice seen here I read it. The fix is essentially what I'd hope for in an Calvin and Hobbes crossover. The references to annoying things that DLP dislikes (specifically the trunk) actually make sense to have with Calvin. I won't speak to the writing as I'm not as experienced with the proper mechanics of it, other than to say the story is readable and I din't find myself breaking immersion.

As I read through, there were a few portions that I thought were slightly un-Calvinlike, but reminded myself that he IS eleven, and some growth is to be expected. I didn't have a frame of reference for Calvin at Hogwarts, but now that I read it, each chapter is entertaining, and I can see them in character.

Also, Calvin's christmas list getting shorter because he has access to a wand? Brilliant.

5. melior

melior Seventh Year

A few parts of this are absolutely brilliant and hilarious. The flying class, for example, is damn near perfect, and a couple other scenes had me laughing out loud. Between those scenes and the novelty of the crossover, it's enough to make me ignore the awful parts.

If you're a Calvin & Hobbes fan, read this fic. If you're not a fan, go read some strips and become a fan, then read this fic.

6. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

It is deeply amusing, especially McGonagall's trip with him. I'll give it a 4/5. Because I want to recommend this.

7. Spyder

Spyder Third Year

This first thing that came into my head was Republic's sig:

There are some minor spelling issues - 'preform' and 'payed' (in a non-nautical sense) for example - and some lack of real world knowledge (If Calvin had breakfast in America, and was apparated to London, he wouldn't be there in time for a second breakfast but rather a late lunch).

Overall it has its amusing moments... but is quite possibly "best in its fandom".

3/5