1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

AU: Magical version of Muggle Tech

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andrela, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Consider an alternate universe in which instead of ignoring muggle inventions, wizards simply made their magical equivalents (which more often than not are way better).

We have a canon example of this with the Wizarding Wireless, but I want this to expand to everything.

That way, when muggleborns arrive at Hogwarts they can't really say "wizards don't have TV" because here wizards DO have TV, just different and maybe better.

Some examples:

Wizarding Television - Doesn't use muggle satellites or anything similar, so muggle devices can't pick up magical channels. Some popular channels include the Magical Creatures Network, the Goblin Channel, Quidditch Network, etc.

Magical Phones - No battery required, no extra payments, etc.

2. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Nuclear bombs - life on Earth as we know it ended 13th of April 1941 when Grindelwald's magical science division detonated their first test device on Svalbard test site, obliterating the entire northern hemisphere and rendering the planet uninhabitable.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wizarding cars and bikes would work - the first models were actually just a chassis around a broom with the ability to go up removed. Subsequent models have been directly enchanted rather than being built around a broom.

4. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Magical trading card games - not like exploding Snap or Chocolate Frog Cards, but more like a magical version of Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic the Gathering where the game play is actually visible above the cards(similar to the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga).

Magical Taxis/Limosines - I also always thought there should be a more relaxed alternative to the Knight's bus, not meant for stranded wizard but for just those looking for comfortable travel, like tapping your wand a couple times to the ground and summon a Taxi or Limosine that is enchanted to be capable of flight, with several enchantments inside to make it more comfortable. Alternatively a carriage drawn by winged horses(normal ones like Aethonan, not Thestrals) could also work.

Magical VR - Wizards basically have the basics for this through the day dream charms Fred and George sold, but if you were to flesh them out more to make them more substantial and longer, you would create the ultimate VR experience, like you could adapt it to only be about observing something. like a first person movie or to allow for a more interactive experience like a video game. We also know through Pottermore that there is magic to visit Dream(Uagadou sends its invitations through visitors into Dreams), so multiplayer isn't out of question either.

Magical Chamber Pots - I am kinda suprised those aren't already a thing, just enchant chamber pots with cleaning charms that clean themselves as well as the user afterwards and you have a pretty good alternative for toilets where you never have to worry about plumbing, waste removal or the smell.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  5. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

I don't think it would be exactly a facsimile of muggle technology, but I think a world where wizards derive more inspiration from muggles would see more space travel and space colonization of sorts, not for any serious reasons but for entertainment. Take a portkey to a space station where you and your family can floo to the moon to explore the moon and the unique magical fauna and flora that has sprung up from wizarding colonization efforts. Stay in a hotel offering an excellent selection of cheeses. Alternatively, you can fly in outer space with a broom carrying protective enchantments with it. That sort of thing.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The thing about things like TV and VR is that to display content, there need to be content creators. The amount of wizards assumed to live in the wizarding world should be enough to at least create some content, but I wouldn't expect as many content creators as in the muggle world. Although magical production might make this easier - the Quibbler is basically run by one person.

For things like bikes, cars and taxis, I'd ask: Why? Magical means of transport like the floo and apparition will bring most people from a to b, and the rest may be sufficiently served by the Knight Bus. People who would pay for a limousine are probably not the kind of people who would need it. Outside of Britain, magical carpets might fill that gap. We do know that the Ministry does have cars though.

A boring thing; horticulture. Magical means would make planting, harvesting and processing crops much easier. Might be constrained to muggle plants since magical plants are more sensitive and might need actual sun- or moonlight rather than simulated light.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

@World

Well if it is an AU we could make the wizarding population much larger.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was thinking this earlier. In a population of around 30,000 wizards you're going to struggle to get enough people both interested and talented enough to fill out the cast on any modern muggle TV show. Much more likely they have 1 or 2 Amateur Theatre style groups, with enough members to put on a play a couple of times a year. In that context there's not much need for broadcasting the show.

The only thing I can really see a TV style set up being useful for in the wizarding world is broadcasting sports. I don't imagine that quidditch via the wireless is amazing.

9. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Considering that Britain got enough actors to warrant a Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts(as mentioned in the Tales of Beetle the Bard) I just assume that a much higher percentage of wizards choose to pursue creative careers, compared to muggles. Considering that the costs of living are probably much lower for wizards, there are probably more wizards who can afford them. Likewise I assume that there is magic that would aid those wizards in creating content quicker, considering that the Quill Rita Skeeter used seemed to be taking creative liberties in a way that seems to fit her preferces.

And you can significantly increase that number if you start including other races, like we do know that Goblin and Veela singers exist in canon(seen in Goblet of Fire and Fantastic Beasts), likewise the fantastic beasts textbook mention that a love for music is common amongst all Merpeople and that it's aimportant part of their culture, on her website Rowling also mentioned a famous half-vampire singer.

There is also not much stopping wizards from sharing creative content over a globel level. Which increses your number from 15-30 thousand to 1-3 million wizards. Not to mention the untold tens of million magical beings.

Overall you'd barely need to stretch canon to justify finding enough people who'd be able to contribute enough content.

10. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Considering magic cameras, you'd probably only need a handful of people per show or movie, instead of the hundreds of cast and production members needed for modern media. Plus a Wizarding TV would probably be less cable/satellite with hundreds of channels and more like early television with about a dozen channels total.

For a new idea, centralized catalogs for libraries in a sort of proto-internet. For the Hogwarts library, you'd have a magic chalkboard with a Protean Charm and magic mirror enchantment that you could use to look up books by their topics. The Nicholas Flamel search would have gone a lot faster if they didn't have to manually search through each book and could just ask the blackboard by search terms.