1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 18 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Australia's new view on immigrants, religion, etc.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sirius009, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I got this as an email from my mom a couple of minutes ago, and as far as i know it is real..

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on
    Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted
    radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to
    Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister
    John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists
    would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted
    that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if
    they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws
    were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want
    a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia
    is not for you", he said on national television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws
    governing people in Australia: one the Australian law and another
    the Islamic law, that is false. If you can't agree with
    parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer
    Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which
    practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he
    said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to
    the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told
    reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values
    should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be
    Australians, and who don't want ! to live by Australian values and
    understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by
    saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques
    Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave
    It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending
    some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on
    Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of
    Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the
    'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility
    that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against
    immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a
    better life by coming to Australia."

"However, there are a few things that those who have recently com to
    our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand."
    "This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served
    only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As
    Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own
    language and our own lifestyle."

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles,
    trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought
    freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese,
    Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to
    become part of our society, Learn the language!"

"Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right;
    wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women,
    on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly
    documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls
    of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider
    another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of
    our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask
    is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment
    with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go",
    then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this
    planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change,
    and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By
    all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow
    you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done
    complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our
    Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take
    advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO
    LEAVE'."

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come
    here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

I was just wondering what everyone's views are on this subject, not just for Australia, but for America, Great Britain, etc..

2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

I'm tired of political correctness, affirmative action and people being offended by shit. Hooray for Australia.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I would post a rant, but I just got done with a day of classes and 6 hours of reading.

4. sirius009

Agreed, to some extent. I live in America, and the other day i looked at a McDonalds cup and it had English and Spanish on it. I feel that to become a citizen or get a green card you must be proficient in understanding and speaking the English language. I find it retarded that 90% of America is Christian yet schools and places of work are not allowed to celebrate christmas because it might be offensive to the 10% who don't celebrate christmas. I can't imagine that many Jews, Muslims, Blacks (that celebrate Kwanzaa) find it offensive for us to celebrate Christmas in a public place. I know i don't find it offensive when other religions and cultures celebrate. I also find it offensive that it is required for students to be taught evolution but it's not even an option to be taught about Creationism, i don't wanna learn about evolution, but i'm forced to, i do wanna learn about creationism, but i can't. My country was founded on Christian values and I personally feel like I am living in a communist country when it comes to religion, god must not be mentioned, ever.

As for affirmative action. We need to get rid of it. It is retarded that just because you are a miniority the requirements to go to a top university aren't as strict for you as they are for white people. This is reverse racism, I live in Michigan, have great grades, but i know if i were to apply to U or M this month that they wouldn't give me the time of day b/c i am not a minority. Maybe if i were to apply to a traditionally African American school, like Grambling or Southern, i would get in because i am a minority? Don't think so! They take pride in there African American roots and don't want a white person there. I find Affirmative action to be reverse racism, it's the definition of descrimination, just because you are not a minority they will accept other, sometimes less qualified minorities to fill there place. If the opposite were to happen when a minority applies for a job, there would be a public outcry. Finally, i feel that affirmative action hurts the equality movement. Minority's want to be treated like equals yet they have an easier rode when it comes to getting in to college..

5. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

The Muslim minorities have every right to be equal in Australia. But when their religion demands they have a judical system they circumvents and undermines the government, that's plain bullshit. If they dont like it, they dont have to live there. If they think it's unfair, tough shit, leave.

6. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

I find it very hard to believe that Howard said anything much past the first sentence of his quote. The rest seems to be a rant written by someone else and then attached to the PM's quote to try and give it some legitimacy.

While I am a firm believer of 'live and let live', if you don't agree with how Australia is being run, you do have the right to contact your local member of parliament (state or federal) and address your grievances. Hell, that's how most changes to the laws start, with one person pissed off enough to make a fuss.

Sure, trying to get Australia declared a Muslim state, subject to Sharia law would be like pushing string uphill, since it would require a constitutional change, but if enough people want it, it could in theory be done.

(About as likely as Bush being popular enough to change the constitution of the US to allow him to be appointed by Diebold for a third term.)

Draco

7. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

That's a load of bullshit.

That was written up by Kim Beazley.

The fat geeza.

8. sirius009

Your right, this is what it was really says
    Source:http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/costello.htm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  9. Spacks

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

....You wish. You might just have a chance at Theocracy without resistance then.

Source
    You can't go around cock-slapping a sizable minority in the US with your beliefs just because your a majority - No matter what Dubyah-illiteracy-rate thinks.

Good for you, some do find hearing Christmas carols that have the same sound as Church Hymns a bit fuckin' annoying when just going around their own fackin' city.

Creationism is a philosophy based on a religion. Since there is no empirical proof for it, it cannot be taught in a Science classroom.

Don't like it? Then get the fuck out of the class, shit knows I don't want to pay for some deluded ingrate to take a class he'll just deny taking while wanking it to Ann Coulter later in life.

"Land of the Free" does not equal "Land of the Christians" nor does it equal "Land of the Well-Maybe-But-We-Have-No-Proof's"

And here you have a point, just stop there next time though, the rest just makes you sound like a Bushevik.

As does claiming that Christian values founded this country.

"MY MCDONALDS CUP!!! NUHHH MEXICANS- NUH!"

Hey Cartman, how's your mom?

[​IMG]

11. Wasteland

Wasteland Second Year

It's a pity is wansn't actually said. My god people who think they're above the law are ruining Australia. It makes me said to think what my country is going to be like in 20 years, but I'm not looking forward to it

12. Spacks

My god.

I shudder to think what Australia will be like in 20 years with idiots like you exhisting.

I just proved that the article was a chainletter.

It's false.

IT'S A FAKE YOU STUPID CUNT!

13. Xenon

Xenon Professor

hmm. I thought I smelled copypasta. This is quite old isnt it? a year or two at least. Instead of saying something intelligent, I think I'll let the picture do the talking for me, as always.
    [​IMG]

14. sirius009

Never said that it should be taught in a Science classroom, simply stated that it should be an option in a philosphy class heck even a Myth's class, the point is no one should force you to take it just like i don't think anyone should force you to be taught evolution, if i had just walked out of my 10th grade biology class i would've failed and it would've affected my grade.

Let me rephrase what i meant by public place, and describe what i mean by celebrating. I mean school by public place, and decorating by celebrating. My English teacher was suspended without pay (and you no how hard it is for that to happen to a teacher) for decorating his classroom w/ christmas lights, a christmas tree, and a santa, no baby Jesus, no reading from the bible, decorations. The funny thing is no one complained. Things like this never used to be a problem but all of a sudden it's a punishable offence to hang christmas, oh sorry "holiday" lights.
    What i was refering to was the people trying to get "under god" removed from the pledge of allegiance.
    Alright you've gotta be fuckin kidding me. Claiming this country was found on christian values? It was dumb fuck.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrims#Separatists_in_Scrooby
    As you can see, if you bother to read, the pilgrims left England to escape religous prosecution in England, they traveled around for a bit before landing in Plymouth Rock. These pilgrims belonged to the All Saints Perish Church which is a Christian church. Seriously, most people learn this shit in first grade.
    If Christianity and religion weren't important in America, than god bless would be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, in god we trust would be removed from money, and churches and religous groups wouldn't be so important in our elections. Not only was this country founded on christian values but it is run on christian values via elected officials.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

What's the problem with removing it? It's a relic from a time when Anti-Communism was State-Sponsored. 30% of us don't believe Christ is the son of God, it's simply rude to leave it there with no respect towards our non-Christian compatriots.

RLY? Maybe we should teach them "Alternative History"... Better yet, lets call it "Intelligent History" - You can't oppose that, think of the children for God's sake.

Also, Texas has a history of Freethinking founders.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to The Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Where in that Pledge of Allegiance to our Country do you see "God Bless"?

Jesus, I thought you like, learned this shit in Kindergarten.

16. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Eat my Free Masonry bitch!

Yattah!

Huzzah!

KIAH!

It goes on, and on, and on.

and if you want to move into the more risque, it is sometimes clamied that George Washington was in fact Adam Weishaupt. Altough that one's streaching it. meh.

I could go on, but I won't. If you want more articles, google something like "Masonic founding fathers"

In conclusion, take a book from the Discordian's and never belive anything you read.

17. Wasteland

Wasteland Second Year

I know its a fake you retarded fuck. All I'm saying is that I'm sick of people thinking that they're above the law. I have no problem with people for what ever religion they are. I don't believe the same thing is them but as long as they're not willing to try and convert me I'm fine with it. If they come to Australia they have to accept that we are in fact a different country to what they come from and if we we're in their shoes and if we went to their country we have to respect their laws and they should do they same to us.

18. sirius009

Whoops, i got it wrong the second time i wrote it, my bad.
    Thank god free thinker's moved to Texas in around 1848, that really counts as a founding history.
    Actually it would be 23.3% of the population. You're talking about it being rude to non-christians to remove under god? What about the 76.7 percent that are christians and 90.9% have some religion if you don't count the 5.4% who didn't answer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_America#Religion
    Now i know that I'm counting Buddhists and Hindu in this 90.9% and they don't believe in the Christian god. But Jews and Muslims both believe in the same god as christians. So basically it would be rude to the 9.1% of the U.S. population that we can assume to be atheists. So we ignore 91% of the population to appease less than 10%? That makes no sense and frankly seems rude to the other 91%.

19. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Choice is what i believe in. You are allowed to celebrate what ever you want so long as others are free not to. There can be Prayer time in schools so long as you can pray in what ever why your religions demands, and if you don't wish to you can sit quitly and read while others do. So long as everyone is given the opertunity to do what they wish i don't care what others do.

20. sirius009

Thank you, that's all i was trying to get across. What I was upset at was the fact that people won't to ban the Christian faith in public. The way i see it, more people than not practice a religion, and the majority of these people are Christians, so why not allow simple things like decorating classrooms in whatever holiday you believe in? Why fight the use of the word god in public places or in the pledge of allegiance, no one is making you say the pledge so if you don't believe in god don't say the pledge or just skip the part about god, but allow the people who believe in god to continue to make the god reference.