1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Azkaban's Heir by Katling - G+

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Azkaban's Heir
    Author: Katling
    Rating: G+
    Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Set post-OotP and pre-HBP (Will take some aspects of HBP into account). Harry ends in on the island of Azkaban though not in any way he had ever thought of. This provides him with greater complications and advantages than before as he finds out just what he is capable of doing.
    Link: http://www.hpfandom.net/eff/viewstory.php?sid=9896

A very interesting story, and thus far doing well. It's much different in the fact that he doesn't discover he's the Lord of Azkaban through Gringotts or other such gimmicks, but rather they contact him. The first chapter or two have a rushed quality to them, but the rest of the story fleshes out well. 50k words so far and I've added it to my alert list there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

read the first couple of chapters.
    Not to bad.
    I'll read the rest before i give my judgement.
    Although the whole grey mages thing being the most powerful thing since merlin is a little different and not in the best of ways. the way its described is just because they let go of prejudice they became magical gods.

EDIT:
    Ahh indeed it did pick up a little bit from the first couple chapters.
    I think i'll keep my eye on this one
    i also see more of what these grey mages are all about. good to know it wasnt as easy as i had previously thought haha.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Later on it revises that view. They're not magical gods in any sense, but rather ones who just learned to use the best of both.

4. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I don't know what I think about the Titan-like creature. I mean, Grey Mages obviously existed before Azkaban, so did they suddenly become more powerful afterwards, when they had a new "source" of there power? And to be honest, isolated communities where there is some sort of perfect control over werewolf transformations, yet they have werewolfs always really bugs me. This town has seen many a generation pass, they have no immigration and there werewolfs are locked up tight on full moons. There shouldn't be werewolfs. Period.

5. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Well I just finished reading it, I must say that I enjoyed it. Not too many problems that I found, certainly nothing to stop me reading. However, I guess I do agree with Athenia, they should not have werewolves, but meh, tiny thing, it can be overlooked.

Actually, since wizards live so long, it would not be farfetched that the remaining werewolves are over 60

6. sandra37914

sandra37914 Squib

excellant story...i'd love to read more

7. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

great story i'm in the authors yahoo group so i've read the first 10 chapters before and didn't even noticed there were 2 more added till i saw this.

so far it seems cool, shall be intresting when they start getting into the grey magic and harry's training.

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Reading through some of it now, it seems it'll be damned later on when Harry goes back to Hogwart's and it seems the council will be replaced by his stupid friends.

Why the hell would he go back into a world where hes at constant danger, versus a safe island with trainers that are many times better then light obsessed Hogwarts.

*shrug* Maybe it gets better, but right now it's just the normal run of the mill story to me

9. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Is this the same author as the one on FictionAlley?

If it is, she's famous for writing H/G. If this peron isn't, i'll give it a whirl a lot sooner.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

meh I finished it. The power underneath the island seemed just really strange, and Harry's already showing way too much power for the author to even justify him needing to go anywhere near Hogwarts.

It's moving at a very slow pace now, and I can see it rapidly going into cliche-ville later on

11. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Yeah, I hope that when he returns to Hogwarts he does not become all weak, friends forever sort of crap.

And I do agree with you Midnight, he should not be going back to Hogwarts but still, very few Azkaban stories out there, much less ones that I can tolerate so I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

12. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

great story... Of course the "grey being" that lived in a cave under the island was rather strange but I still enjoy the story.

13. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Interesting story. It doesn't adhere to the standard cliches of Harry finding out through Gringotts or some other third party. Nor does it have him shirking his duties as ruler. It's good to see some reality in these stories. The one reason I haven't taken over my home city is because the paperwork is enormous and I can't be bothered to do it. :p

14. Deadwilder

Deadwilder First Year

I've got a hunch this is going to turn into slash... I must be developing fanfic gaydar.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  15. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

i've read the first couple chapters and so far so good... i'll leave my final verdict till i finish.

And Deadwilder, i hope you're wrong.

16. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I think the story could use some conflict. What is riddle doing, the ministry could also be a source of conflict, and the re-opening of trade relations.
    everthing is moving quite smooth,
    Shouldn't some things start going wrong?

17. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I agree with thapagan. Things should start to not go quite as smoothly as it has been. Maybe the Ministry and Voldy are waiting to cause trouble until
    harry is at hogwarts, beliving that he cant defend the island as well or at all from there.

18. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

This story reminds me of Lord of Caer Azkaban by Rorschach's Blot. Other then that its a good story. Well worth the time to read i can't wight for the next update.

19. It also reminds me a bit of Lord of Caer Azkaban but its also different what with the ward connection Harry has to Azkaban and we see much more of the Council in this story than in Lord of Caer Azkaban

20. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Looks like we have an update, and some trouble from the ministry.

I would also like to say I got a peek into the boys dorm that has been missing from many fics. There is filler and every once an a while quality filler. Katling provides both.