1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Baseball Hall of Fame Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Jim Thome. Chipper Jones. Vladimir Guerrero. Trevor Hoffman

Edgar Martinez's last year on the MLB HOF ballot is next year and I think he gets in. Bonds and Clemens hopefully in 3-4 years, but I'm starting to doubt.

Also, Joe Morgan can eat an asshole.

2. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Glad for the 4 of them, though don't quite understand how Thome is a 90+% first balloter. Shame for Martinez, who dropped off the pace in the back half of the votes (was on pace on the 261 ballots that had been announced).

Glad Bonds and Clemens continue to miss. Also annoyed they're tying up the ballot taking votes from others. How does Johan Santana not even get enough votes to stay on the ballot for a 2nd year??

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I am fucking angry about this. Jesus, the HOF voting process is so in need of a re-vamp, and we really need the votes to be made public, so we can at least maybe shame the idiots that don't already own up to how stupid they are.

I'm not saying Edgar should have been a first-ballot guy or anything, I know how polarizing the DH debate is and all. But for fuck's sake - the annual DH award is fucking NAMED AFTER HIM. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Mariano Rivera, and a host of the other best pitchers of my generation all said he was the one of, if not the hardest batter they ever faced. But no, a bunch of stuffy old cunts that only care about tradition (whateverthefuck that means anymore), and their own stupid axes to grind get to sit on their high horses and arbitrarily decide the fates of far better men. Sad. The real shit thing about it? I bet David Ortiz will be a first or second ballot guy, because if there's one ridiculously stupid advantage you can have, it's playing in NY or Boston.

Anyone needs any salt, just come over and take it out of this mountain I'm generating over here.

4. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Probably right with Ortiz, though I think anyone in doubt is going to look at his post-season highlights and put him in for that. Sadly E Martinez suffers from the Steroid era debate, the DH debate, and Clemens/Bonds clogging the damn ballot.

NY advantage is overstated at this point, see: Johan Santana

5. Seyllian

Seyllian Unspeakable DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wasn't Ortiz on that 2004 list though? I thought he was.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Bonds and Clemens not getting in will finally be the impetus for me to stop caring about Cooperstown.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't both of them use steroids?

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Split just because it was becoming a bit much for TOMD.

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't know about Clemens but Bonds for sure. Wonder why anyone would want to remeherr him as anything more than an asterisk.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Because a museum that doesn't have the greatest right handed pitcher to ever live and the second greatest hitter to ever live, is a joke. Roids, no roids, all the roids, no nevermind to me. Especially when the arbiters of the whole thing, the BBWAA, are partly to blame for that whole era - overlooking it all in the late 90s and early 00s. Not to mention Bud Selig being enshrined there - he egged all that shit on - all the home runs were good for the sport. The hypocrisy galls.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. Seyllian

High Score:
    Bonds was a hall of fame player before roids too. Arod was the player that couldn't do anything without them

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

... Alex Rodriguez was a 9 WAR player at age 20.

He needs to be in the Hall of Fame too.

13. Seyllian

High Score:
    Bonds was an mlb star without roids. Arod started using them in high school

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If their achievements weren't earned without crutches, they shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, no matter how iconic they were.

15. theronin

theronin Order Member

Didn't everyone in that era use roids more or less?