1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Beast Lord by Ceres K. - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Midknight, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Beast Lord
    Author: Ceres K.
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Summary: Warning: OotP Spoilers After his fifth year at Hogwarts, Harry is getting worse and worse. Fortunately for Harry, a certain Phoenix decides to do something about it. Rating just to be safe. Not your average Independent!Super!Harry fic. Will be HG, RH
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2391700/1/

Harry gets a buncha powers from various magical beings. I haven't checked back in on it in awhile now, but it was the first I'd seen use this. It may not be the first chronologically, as I've seen others since this, but it was the first to me =P Medium quality story, but with strong cliches when they do pop up.

It has a serious problem also with some chapters being at least 30% AN's.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

One problem though, they all come up with Marauderish nicknames for themselves. That's why I stopped reading it.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Midknight...posting more Harry/Ginny? Sheesh, talk about your failing standards...I'd rather read nothing at all than anything with THAT pairing.

4. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

sigh, i'm dissapointed...

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have over a thousand bookmarks most of which I'm glancing at to see if they've been updated more recently then a year and a half ago.

Which is when most of my marks were found by me, before I grew to hate the pairing. I'm just trying to get new storys added in the cats.

For SOME reason *glares* stories are getting nominated as best of fics, but we don't have links or reviews of them, trying to add a buncha more even halfway decent fics, regardless of pairing (except for slash)

I'm going to take that as sarcasism rather then get pissed and defensive.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Couldnt handle the nicknames either. Made me feel sick plus the Harry/Ginny pairing just blew it all away.

7. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Wow, look at this. A story from November 2005. It's 24 chapters though seemingly abandoned. Having read the summary, not sure if I'll honestly like it.

Prologue: Phoenix and Hedwig talking to one another about Harry. Animals meeting in the Forbidden Forest with Fawkes as their leader.

2nd chapter (for all purposes of reviewing): Angst Harry

Then:

Also, he's talking to Hedwig.

Oh dammit all.

Then the Death Eaters show up.

Chapter 3:

Which one of the fucking animals could do wandless magic? O.O

Aurors show up finally.

Rambo!Harry

Chapter Four:

Nice loophole for the author to do whatever the fuck they want at any given point.

Then Harry gets a couple of letters, gets mad about Dumbledore's.

Chapter Five:

Harry is suddenly a know-it-all huh? Unsurprised to see the author has basically turned Harry into an arrogant Superman.

Sigh, the never ending bag.

A new wand and of course a wand for Neville. I guess Harry is a seer now.

As to not make the post too long. I'll just state my thoughts on the rest of the fic as I go:

I will say the chapters are short really, with A/Ns taking a good amount of the page up. Harry getting the gift of telepathy and being an Animagus only continued his descent into Super!Harry.

I also found a problem with the fact that Fawkes seemed to like Harry more then Dumbledore offhand. Of course, Harry's form is various forms. Also, Harry happens to be Supersmart!Harry at the trial and is a better lawyer for himself then any other lawyer could be.

Harry writing a letter to Snape and apologizing for his father was wrong. As was not realizing his reckless behavior was a bit to blame for Sirius's death. Then Harry brings up the classic "I'm not my father but I am my father and mother's son" line."

Of course, Harry is then a better Potion's master then Snape when he gives Snape a very valuable potion as a gift. o.o

Conclusion: I am going to stop there dear reader. I can no longer take perfect!Harry. To be truly honest? There is no true conflict as far as I can tell. Everything goes right for Super!Harry which in short makes for a very boring story. The grammar wasn't perfect either. I found myself also being a bit annoyed with the A/Ns as the story progressed they grew larger and larger.

I skimmed ahead a bit though to see what Sree was taking about, and I just shook my head.

All in all, I'm going to go ahead and give this story a 1.5/5 with being rounded up to 2/5. I've seen worse stories but this was horribly cliched, again no real conflict, etc.