1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Memorable moments in the Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lens of Sanity, May 8, 2012.

1. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

Right, okay, so there have been two awesome threads recently, one tailoring to moments in Harry Potter FanFiciton, and one regarding HP!Canon … They’ve both been the best threads I've read in ‘many a long year.’

So how about it; what’s your favourite moment from Jim Butcher’s ‘the Dresden Files’?

(OvO)
    (} w {)
    --v-v--

Proviso: Nobody is allowed to choose the Dinosaur, everyone is going to choose the Dinosaur, so No Dinosaurs! I’m super-cereal you guys!

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like... ALL OF TURN COAT. Especially the last stand of Donald Morgan, him vs. Peabody was awesome.

Any scene with Morgan really.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Right. I guess I'll state the obvious choice where Dresden rides a reanimated Dinosaur.

All kidding aside, the moment Harry picks up Lasciels coin. That moment, for me, beats most of the others such as finding out about his halfbrother, a daughter, or getting killed. The underlying theme in the whole story is that humans are special because they have free will, and the coin is the one thing that can tempt you more than anything else, since it lives in your mind. Of course, this is explored in Ghost Stories I guess...

4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

"Be."

That is all.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uhhh... the end of pretty much every book too be honest. Except Dead Beat, since that's apparently out of it.

Seriously though, my favorite moment has to be the moment when you realize that Dresden engineers Susan's death in order to save the life of his child. That was a mind blowing shift in his whole personality, something he never would of done before except in that exact situation. It's pretty much the definitive character progression.

My favorite "Awesome" moment was definitely the end of White Knight though, I loved the scene in the deeps, especially the entrance red carpet of fire. All in all, it was just an incredible scene.

Team Dresden vs the Denarians on Demonsreach was pretty up there as well.

Those are off the top of my head, I have no doubt that I've forgotten about 20 ridiculously awesome minor scenes around the place.

6. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

Lash, as of Bk13 is "dead" and we have no published reason to believe otherwise...

Yeah, let's face it, the best moments haven't even been spoken yet!
    Choice, free will, innate badassness... etc...

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Way to creep me the fuck out Lens...

Also the battle in the Aquarium is goddamn hardcore, especially the bitch-slap of soulfire.

8. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Harry killing the ghouls in White Night.

Both times when Harry comes home in Turn Coat to find Morgan and company literally at each others throats.

The Harry/Molly discussion in Ghost Story.

The big fight in Changes.

Harry becoming the Winter Knight.

I could go on and on.

9. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

The battle between the Naagloshii and Injun Joe. Just another nice moment from Turn Coat.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you can't place these by exact conversations, your homework is to read through the book in question again. Enjoy.

11. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Honestly?

When the Weregoats came after Harry.

Don't judge me... >_>

Oh yeah, the Elder Gruff casually taking out the Denarians, but the Weregoats top.

Yeah...

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The thing that stood out to me as the series' crowning moment of awesome was the ride on the polka-powered zombie T-Rex. Mostly because I'm a bit of a dinosaur nut and anything involving them gets +10 awesome points in my personal rankings.

After that would have to be:

-Dresden cashing in his favor from the Summer Court to get a donut

-The Soulfire bitch-slap on Thorned Namshiel

-Mouse threatening Lea

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That was one of the best Dresden moments.

Also, in addition to all the usual suspects people have already mentioned.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Oh god, I had forgotten that gem. I'm gonna have to re-read the whole series again to figure out what I have forgotten.

15. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

So much awesomeness, already mentioned. I love the lower key moments just as much if not more, and here's one of my standouts:

Classic Dresden there.

Also also: Lash reveal in Dead Beat, Harry being made a Warden in Dead Beat, Harry outwitting the two FBI guys who were interrogating Molly in Proven Guilty, finding out Carlos was a virgin, Harry's brutal dispatching of those ghouls in the desert flashback, Lash's death, and one of the best things I've ever read: the flasbhack Harry/Molly scene in Ghost Story, and that moment of realisation of what's gone down and how badly Harry's fucked up Molls. Stuck with me. And there's a bunch in between that I might get to later, but they're the best off the top of my head. I wuv this series thiiiisssss much.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This thread made me want to know what's going on with Cold Days. It suddenly struck me that this is about the time the books come out. Some of the time at least.

So yeah, off topic, but what's the go with Cold Days?

17. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Uh dude? his first manuscript isn't due til June or July I think.

18. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Thomas revealing that he's Harry's brother.

Harry discovering that Susan's been turned.

Pretty much any scene with Ivy - particularly the first one (I think it was in Blood Rites). Her reaction to Mister was all kinds of cute. Also loved her smacking down the Denarians in Small Favour.

Harry's interactions with Marcone - pick one, they're all pretty damn cool.

Maybe I should just put out a blanket The Series to cover everything I like? It'd be quicker.

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The one that always stays with me is Harry raping those ghouls in the desert. Simply because of the effect it has on the legend of Dresden in the eyes of the younger wardens. From their point of view Harry must have come across as one dangerous motherfucker.

20. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I've been re-reading the series and I have a couple.

For me, its got to be the entire end sequence of Dead Beat (not even counting the Dinosaur). From Harry imprisoning the fucking Erlking in a homemade circle, to the ridiculously awesome necromancers summoning Terminator Zombies and fighting with them, to the whole tornado of power being summoned from the skies, to seeing super-powerful wizards (which I actually love since Dresden is really only a middleweight when it comes to this stuff) to wardens fighting properly to Ramirez being fucking awesome as usual. It just blows every other end sequence out of the park IMO.

And the litany of other moments. In Small Favor, when Harry goes to Union Station and is attacked by an army of hobs and the huge gruff. Kind of a subtler moment, but it has Michael doing his thang and some very cool thaumaturgy from Dresden.

In White Knight, when Lash does her illusion thing and makes Harry able to basically see the wireframe of the room he is in and escape.

In Proven Guilty, the assault on Mavra's headquarters which has all kinds of goodness in it.

Fuck, every single book has ridiculously cool shit in it. I can't bring up specific quotes right now because I've just read ten books in less than a week and my brain is a little fried, but I didn't realize on my first or even third read just how good this series is.

I guess I'm used to shitty fanfic writing because Jim has blown my mind repeatedly in the last few days. I'm basically getting continually blown by this series. And its awesome.