1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Reader and wall required

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by huntedorange, Jan 15, 2007.

1. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

I am looking for someone to beta read a fic i have in the works but is more than that really because i need a wall to bounce ideas off. I was going to try and do it in the IRC chat but cant get it to work so will try this instead. Anybody interested can give me a shout about the basic plot idea if they like.

Thanks

Hunted

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
  3. huntedorange

Yeah i tried going there but i already have a beta reader and we fell out, thus i cant get another one because admin thinks i already have one and because my beta is pissed at me tells them everything is fine. grrr.

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Whats the premise?

5. huntedorange

Basically when Harry stabbed Tom Riddle's diary with the basilisk tooth coated in his own blood it mixed with the magic within the diary and split the Slytherin side of Harry into a poltergeist, of sorts, form where it was anchored within the confines of the chamber of secrets for four years until Harry nears his coming of age when it can reunite with him. This "poltergeist" has an unsaitable thirst for knowledge and devours Slytherin's personal libary which while extensive only covers about four topics.

Thats the start then it will go onto his training, possibly abroad, and return 3-5 years later to re-enter a war which is almost already lost

6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Wow, That sounds promising.

7. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    I'm looking forward to this story of yours. I love the idea of merging Harrys. There isn't enough stories with a good plotline that pull from CoS out there.

I feel a little reserved on the subject of abroad training, mostly because I don't want Harry to end up in some muggle boot camp in America. But since you haven't written said story yet I'll wait before saying anything else. :)

8. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I already beta for Amerison and a few other writers from here; if you really need help, I don't mind offering my services - I'm on the internet often enough. :D

9. The Dark Monarch

I could beta for you.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, this is a good idea for 'fixing up' post-HBP Harry. Good luck with this one.

11. huntedorange

Well everyone seems to think this could make quite a good fic, the main problem i have at the moment is should harry immediatly learn all the knowledge from his other half or should it sink in over time, i.e. does he change over time or instantly?

What you guys think?

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

He should have 'dry' knowledge immediately, but not the practical skills. That way, he'd need to go over each spell he knows theoretically and learn how to actually cast it in reality. That would make just enough training to slow him down, but not enough to hinder the plot development.

13. huntedorange

yeah i was thinking of doing it that way, however with the training i am going to be having him doing anyway it could get a little tedious. The other way i was thinking was (i dont think i have seen this done either) is make it so as he learns the basics more knowledge comes to him, i.e. the better he gets at a subject the more knowledge he can draw from. Which do you think would work best?

14. The Dark Monarch

So the stuff he learns reconnects or unlocks the knowledge in him and eventually he gets better and better?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  15. huntedorange

Thanks guys for all the help, i only have about 1000 words so far but i wouldnt mind giving it to someone so they can have a look and maybe see if i have missed anything or changes they think i should make. You still up for it Monarch?

16. The Dark Monarch

Sure.

17. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Your idea sounds interesting. As IP said it would make a nice alternative to cannon Harry. If you want my opinion on anything go ahead and send me a PM.

18. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I can help too, or be a wall. This sounds really good. Good luck on this.

19. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

If you still need someone, I can help out as well with whatever you need.

Best of luck with the story, it sounds interesting

20. huntedorange

Right i sent a very basic version to IP, which he seemed to like but had many flaws, i will re write this and send it too IP and Monarch, Possibly Rostam too as i really respect him. I have the initial part of my story done, the only thing is i cant figure out where to go from there. I will consult this thread regularly and i hope you will give me lots of ideas. I make the idea, you guys make the storys, thanks again and hopefully you will here from me soon.