1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Better Left Unsaid by Kenchi618 - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Celestin, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Title: Better Left Unsaid
    Author: Kenchi618
    Rating: M
    Genre: General?
    Pairing: Undecided
    Chapters: 46
    Words: 564,102
    Updated: June 3, 2012
    Published: December 14, 2010
    Summary: Mizuki never got to shoot his mouth off at Naruto the night he took the Scroll of Seals. Other than skipping a half-manic monologue from him what exactly did this change for everyone's favorite blonde ninja? Who knows? Rated M for language/later events.
    Link: FF.NET

The beginning of this fic is nothing special, but I still liked it. Then I looked up who is the author and what else he wrote. This made me less excited, because The Sealed Kunai didn't turn out as good as I was hoping it would be. But after reading 26 chapters, I can tell that this fic is easily superior compared to that one (at least for now).

No bashing. No overpowered Genins. No one being visibly out of character. Some of canon plots and some of interesting original ideas.

I give it 4.5 rounded to 5/5. Maybe a little to high score, but considering that there are not many good Naruto fics out there, this one deserves it in my opinion. All in all, very good and enjoyable story.

Checked: June 11, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I've like what I've read of it so far.

I like that it didn't go through the whole "Mizuki blabbing about the fox" shenanigans.

4/5

3. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

I've been following this for a while, and I'll go ahead and recommend it. 5/5

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I give it a 5/5 too. Good grammar, good plot, and he updates frequently. During the Chuunin Exam arc he updated like every other day.

The Sealed Kunai was a disappointment. I stopped reading that many chapters ago, when he got that chakra armor/sword whatever the fuck it was. Then he added an OC and it got too strange.

This story remains good though. Believable character growth, interesting techniques.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

One of the better stories I've read recently. Definitely worth a try, if nothing else.

6. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I'm ten chapters in and so far I have mixed feelings about this fic. The writing is above average and the plot is a decent mix of canon and original ideas. Problem is I can't figure out if I'm reading a crack-fic, a lighthearted humorous one with some serious shit thrown in, or a combination of all three. While some authors can pull this off Kenchi618 isn't really one of them. All that face-faulting and sweat-dropping really makes me cringe and want to hit the red X.

Other than the above point and the sheer stupidity that was the Zabuza confrontation (as well as a few other minor annoyances) it's quite entertaining. Naruto is a powerhouse without going overboard into Godhood while Ino and Asuma are two of my favorite characters.

I'll give it a 3.5/5 for the moment. Hopefully it improves when team 10 gets out of Wave.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I've been following this one for quite a while as well. I'll just go ahead and give it a 4/5 because while good there are a few bits that annoy me.

8. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Considering the sheer mass of work that Kenchi618 spurts out, the fact that this story is as good as it is says something. He doesn't really break new ground, but the story is fun, and light, and the updates are always frequent and meaty, so 4/5.

9. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I've also had this story on my alert for some time. The plotting is very standard, but characters are interesting and the writing is very solid. If I can say one thing about it's quality, it went through the whole chunin exams and I enjoyed it. Rare to say the least. I'd give it a 4.5/5, the half taken off for lack of a truly original premise or amazing writing, but very fun none the less.

10. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Finished reading what's available and I got to say that was the best take on the chuunin exams I have read; well the final portion of the exam anyway. The team/solo battles were very well written and engaging, it actually read like a ninja fight with tactics and subterfuge being used alongside brute force, not just DBZ style power-ups.

I'll happily give this a 4.5/5. The chuunin exams arc made up a lot for the stupidity that was in the first 15 chapters, which is a good sign that the author is improving. Hopefully he keeps doing so since it has the potential to get very interesting if Naruto accepts the Daimyo's offer.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

This really came into its own with the Exam arc; a great take on what normally is the second biggest stumbling block of Naruto fanfiction after the Wave arc. The first half of the story or so wasn't too bad, but it wasn't amazing. I don't think it's anything ground breaking, but it's a lot of fun with a tremendous amount of potential 4/5

12. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

If I had never read any of Kenchi's story before, this would recieve a 4/5 from me. But as it is, I am pretty sick of the characters he made, since they are the fucking same in all his stories (Naruto at least), despite whatever different events that happen . Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like the character was written badly. I'm just kind of bored of it personally and it's like, "Oh, this again."

So 3/5.

13. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Some very minor spoilers below.

Been following and leaving reviews at ff.net for this story for a while. I rather like it and think it is best of Kenchis many stories. One thing I like about this story is that unlike most of his other stories, in here we actually get to see Naruto develop and grow strong from the start. We see his training and gradual improvement under Asuma from becoming the canon Naruto to who whe is now.

In Kenchis other stories, Naruto either already starts superstrong with rinnegan eyes and such straight from the first chapter or becomes strong near instantly. Unlike here, in those stories Naruto comes off as somewhat OC to me and hard to connect to as a result since I never saw his gradual development like I did in BLU.

Like in the sealed kunai for example, where he is apparently some super-ninja that was trained by Danzo from early childhood, only to have his memories sealed away by Jiraiya. And ofcourse, in the beginning he gets those memories back and instantly becomes super again, capable of defeating everyone easily. Sealed Kunai is also a harem story which I dislike, and one where the harems are very poorly written and justified, which I dislike even more for its blatant unrealism.

Another thing I like about BLU is that Kenchi is not totally afraid of moving away from canon (so far atleast) if necessary. While we did see the Wave mission in a way, it was quite different in that it was not assigned to Narutos team at all and they were only called in as backup. And ofcourse his chuunin exams were completely 100% original and interesting. And the latest chapter further suggests that this story won't be following canon in the timeskip either. Time will tell whether thats going to be a good or bad thing.

When it comes to relationships, there is nothing really definite yet, though there are lots of hints and subtle buildup that might suggest Naruto/Ino pairing. Though nothing written in stone yet. Either way, compared to the utterly silly romances of Sealed Kunai, I think this is far better written if it is going to be Naruto/Ino. I don't really ship any particular pairing, but the buildup Kenchi has put into this would easily allow me to accept it as realistic, if Naruto and Ino do enter a relationship later in the story.

The writing is quite good with no obvious problems for a non-native like me to notice atleast. Thats true for all the guys stories. And the plot of BLU is best of them as I said.

So far as the writing stays good and there are no sudden crazy/stupid/lame turns in the plot, I think this story in my view is easily 4.5 rounded to full 5 out of 5.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Liked it. Not the best but definitely above average. The exam seemed to last forever though. I skimmed over most of the non team 10 battles.

4/5

15. artenry

artenry Guest

I've been following this for a while now - very entertaining, and there's a [what I feel to be] realistic progression of Naruto's abilities and his character.

I felt the exam was drawn out to the proper length, though; I certainly enjoyed how the author fleshed out the interactions between secondary characters, but then again, I've always enjoyed that sort of thing - I even enjoy the filler arcs in the animated series for precisely that reason, even though I'm ridiculed for it.

4/5, solid.

16. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Updated.

It's mostly filler, and I assume the next few chapters will continue to be so until the deadline to Daimyo's offer draws closer. Doesn't bother me too much though since it presents a good opportunity to see some character growth/interactions between the rookies.

17. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

It's starting off on the Land of Tea filler arc, however he does seem to be trying to make it original.
    Gato is also finally making a reappearance. I hope he is actually killed off this time, he's starting to get quite annoying.

I think that Kenichi's Naruto/Ino relationship may actually be one of the very few good ones I've read if he actually decides to try it. It's already had a believable introduction to the ship, and I think its unlikely that he will not do this. Most of the others just decide to have Naruto fuck the hot blond chick from the beginning, with no actual character development, so definatly better. This is coming from someone who tried for four days to find a great Naru/Ino fic, so I know what I am talking about.

I think this fic deserves a solid 4/5, dropping the point only due to a few annoyances, and the fact that his naruto seems very similar, as tragicmat said. However, certainly a cut above the normal on FF.net

18. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Updated a couple days ago. Didn't especially care for this chapter.

19. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Filler arc is filler. We just have to wait for the time skip for things to get better. Hopefully.

20. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Is anyone else still keeping up with this?

I'm really liking the post time skip stuff. Naruto and the rest of the rookie nine have definitely developed like common sense would say they should over such a gap.