1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bitches.

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Oz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Guess who's making a mafia-game site for shits, giggles and résumé padding?

That's right, it's Oz.

I figure having something dedicated entirely to Mafia will be easier than using the forum and quicktopics. Things like voting and using actions can be a quick click of a button, lynches can be automated and so on. I've made a very quick mockup of what flavour text might look like (click to embiggen) and welcome all critique. I'm about to work on making player posts, the player action bar and journals which only gamehosts and the player writing in them will be able to see (kind of like quicktopics).

[​IMG]

So if anyone can think of anything that this needs, feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Awesome, man. And no, I'm not just saying that because you used me for the example. Can't wait to see what else you add on there.

---------- Post automerged at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Laziness prevails....

A terribly formatted list of things to keep in mind. (I couldn't leave it messy, lol)

1. Role reveal/no role reveal option for host
    2. Archetypes able to be customized (both in terms of function and flavor)
    3. Flavor text can be stock or written by game host for all manner of outcomes
    4. Allow/disallow deadline lynch function
    5. Stock games: Death Eaters, Werewolf, Mafia, Star Wars, Warlock??
    6. For the previous, time is somewhat more than #werewolf, but significantly less than forum mafia
    7. Multiple mafia factions?

3. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eurgh, I knew I should have written down the list from before, Oz :3

All of what Ash said.
    8. Real-time player communication like in werewolf? Sort of? - Also the ability for the gamehost to see all conversations .
    9. Some sort of notepad thingy like in QTs.

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

More Comic Sans, More of this ... Lou Triss chap, and less fail and aids. That looks a little fruity. D:

5. Oz

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good to see you decided to keep working on this. Some thoughts...

I think it needs to be clear whether this is for regular mafia type games, where only a minority have roles and where roles are revealed upon death, or for witch hunt games, where everyone has a role and roles aren't revealed, and also includes things like positions (mayor). Or will it will be flexible enough for both?

A "role creator" wizard would be good. I mean, having certain pre-set roles (e.g. investigator) that you can customise in terms of flavour is a good start, for sure, but true potential for awesome would come with a system that allows you to script a role with various conditions. This could either be done through actual ability to insert your own code, or through a pre-programmed GUI, a bit like the gambit system in FFXII.

Flavour text may be tricky. It's hard to have flavour text written in advance, because much of it depends on what decision is actually reached. Which means flavour text, if the host wants to customise it, will have to be written in response to events. And that means that automation would have to be turned off - it couldn't be the case that the game automatically detected when lynch conditions were met and then performs the lynch. Rather, the game would have to be paused until the host came online so they could write the flavour text for it. While this is certainly possible, one of the great appeals of a client like this is the automation.

Variable game length is a good idea. While "full length" games like we have on the forums are awesome and should certainly be able to be done, like some have said it would be interesting to have a mid-length game, shorter than forum mafia but longer than werewolf. I'm thinking that the ideal length for such a game would be the length of an afternoon, maybe 4-5 hours in total.

Finally, it would be handy if there could be some kind of rudimentary bot. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this, but I'm not talking AI. Basically I'm just thinking of a RNG that is capable of excluding its team-mates as targets. The reason why I'm asking about this is not so that people could actually play with bots, but rather so that a game host could use a game full of bots as a simulator to test out their game mechanics.

Speaking of, that would only really work if you were able to save game mechanics and re-use them. Otherwise everything would have to be re-entered - potentially laborious if you have many complex, custom roles.

Finally (for real this time), I'd be cool if the code were to be made public, heavily commented. It's in ruby, right? I say this because some games (my own Harry Potter hunt, for example, and to a lesser extent Hunt of Thrones with its ranging mechanic) are sufficiently different from regular mafia that it would be hard to program this to be able to include them.

7. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Nice, what are you programming in?

8. Oz

The plan is for it to be flexible enough for both, but I won't know for certain until I sit down and plan everything out properly.

My plan is for people to be able to create completely custom roles. I can't think of any possible roles that can't be reduced down to one or more certain specific abilities with immunities/strengths against certain other roles. This would be done by the host when they create the game with a GUI.

Hosts will be able to decide which events to automate and have pre-written flavour text for on the fly. Certain things like villager deaths won't require any variation I'd imagine, and other things I'd imagine hosts could prepare for as the game goes along.

This is a good idea, but it'll probably be a long way off. Making simple AIs isn't all that difficult, but I'd rather get the game itself working first.

Aye, games and roles will be saved for future reuse/modification.

Aye, I'll be releasing it under an open-source license. People will be able to fork through Git if they so choose, to have a look at the code.

Ruby on Rails, mostly.

9. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Instead of bots, just let the game creator make a test game where they can play every role to make sure the mechanics are working as intended.

10. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Bumping to see if any progress as been made. Also, I'm contemplating whether this thread should be Unstickied to make room for the FAQ/Beginners' Guide to Mafia thread. However, I cannot Unsticky in good conscience without Oz being okay with it.

Oz, you fine with it, mate?

11. Oz

Go ahead. I never got much of this done but maybe I'll come back to it, lol. I had completely forgotten about it.

(What was I thinking with that design?)