1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Book of the Ancestor -- Mark Lawrence

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Mar 18, 2019.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of our discussion of these books is in the old Official Book Rec thread, so I won't rehash it much other than to say I think Nona is Lawrence's best main character to date.

Really looking forward to Book 3 - Holy Sister, which apparently drops in a little under a month (hooray new month audible credits \(^○^)/ ).

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I found book 2 much less compelling than book1, but I'll still be checking this out when it drops. Book 1 had the makings of some fantastic setup elements and novel worldbuilding, but it felt like the ball was dropped pretty hard. Sequel syndrome, I suppose. Which was a shame because I don't remember Lawrence hitting the same roadblock in his other series.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Book 3 is out. Next on my list after I finish Farseer#3

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, I am also torn about picking this one up. I really liked the first one but the second was quite the disappointment and did really nothing to make anticipate this one. Will probably re-read the first two books this month and see if that has changed or not.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Finished Book 3.

In short, I was disappointed. It was waaaaaaaaaaaaay way way too short. All the moments meant to be climactic were shoved down our throats and forgotten about two pages later. Also, Lawrence employs even more invisible worldbuilding in this book than the previous two. Dropping names and places and pieces about the larger world but provides nothing further. It was extremely frustrating.

I also think Lawrence did Nona a disservice. She is such a great character, but with having the entire book essentially be one big Abbess Glass manipulation, well... she wasn't given much opportunity to grow. She made peace with her violent side and that's about it.

It was an entertaining read like most of Lawrence's stuff, but it could have been so much better.

6. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

I agree. It felt cut to the bone, as if Lawrence was sick of this series and just wanted it done.

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I couldn't get into book 3 and dropped it about 100 pages in. It's a shame - book one was pretty good but then it just went to shit. And for no cause - this isn't a new author so he shouldn't be victim to the worst case of sequelitis since Blood Song.

Ah well.