1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot boy with a scar by dirgewithoutmusic - G

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by throwaawy, Aug 26, 2018.

1. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

Title: boy with a scar by dirgewithoutmusic
    Rating: G
    Genre: AU Oneshots
    Pairing: Various
    Wordcount: +185k
    Links: https://archiveofourown.org/series/285498

"A series of "what if" rewrites of Harry Potter, books 1-7."

This is a series of one-shots and short stories (mostly the former) exploring a wide variety of plot points. Ideas ranging from different "Chosen Ones" to a complete absence of one. What if the Potters survived? What if the Dursleys were killed? The description for the series pretty much lists out all of the prompts with the fics themselves having slightly longer summaries.

Good:
    There are over a dozen prompts contained here, ranging from a short 1k snippet to a multi-chaptered 30k piece. Odds are decent you might find at least one situation you'd enjoy reading and some of these are fairly interesting as well. Do you like WBWL? Do you like fem!Harry? Do you really just want the Dursleys to be removed from the story?

My personal favourite of the list is "the family evans" which is closer to the shorter side and actually makes Petunia an important role model. I feel like it has some of the best character building while keeping core parts of the main cast throughout the altered story.

That said, there's a reason why I'm posting this to Almost Recommended...

Bad:
    By and large, the one-shots are less stories and more very detailed summaries. It is very heavy on the telling vs. showing and writes almost as an outline. The author details many of the changes they felt important to the plot... but what that also means is Stations of Canon very heavily referenced. Regardless of what happens, the Chosen One will always suffer the Chamber of Secrets. The TriWizard tournament always ends with a dead champion and a living Voldemort. A close parental figure will always stumble to their death trying to save a well-meaning Chosen One in the Department of Mysteries.

I might suggest reading these over a longer period of time than I did, because if you binge through it, it definitely gets somewhat annoying having to repeat the events over and over.

I give it a 3/5 as a whole. Maybe read through it once, find what you like, probably never touch it again.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Boring, uninspired exercises in railroading sprinkled with evil!dumbles.

And that is ignoring that they are not even plot outlines.

1/5 wish there would be a 0/5 because this truly deserves it.