1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

British EU Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Taure, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Apparently, it was actually Andy Serkis in the video. There are a couple of impersonators who do a mean Gollum, and one always has to reckon with CGI trickery these days, so I wasn’t quite sure. All of which, somehow, makes it even more brilliant.

E497FA6B-E51F-4DBA-80ED-4FDD3F56CFB9.jpeg

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I'm just amazed Andy Serkis still has a throat. Swallowing needles seems less damaging than the Gollum voice.

3. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Confirmed, ECJ are a troll nest.

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Lol, kinda like the thought that they ruled that because they know it'll maximize chaos for the UK and all branches of the EU are bent to making this hell on Earth on the UK so no one else thinks about leaving.

I mean, that'd be horrible, but also really funny from a distance.

6. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner DLP Supporter

That was my first thought as well. I'd honestly be pretty shocked if that ultimately wasn't the case.

7. Innomine

Innomine Order Member Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no doubt it’s part of the consideration. But it’ll also never be publicly said.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

The Lord of the Rings DVDs (not sure if it's on the regular ones or only on the EEs) revealed that he had to drink a honey/lemon/ginger (Gollum Juice) mix just to keep his voice.

And by drink I do mean drink in copious amounts.

Re: EU - of course it is a part. Rational actors and all. I also don't think they've had to do too much about it because the UK seemed to have the 'maximising chaos' bit well under control long before this current situation.

-edit- EU != ECJ, of course, as Taure points out. My comment is for the political arm of the EU.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  9. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not part of the consideration. The ECJ decision is one which goes against the position of the EU Commission, which was a party to the proceedings and had made submissions to the court that it opposed unilateral revocation of article 50.

Ultimately the decision is based on the legal principle that an EU member state cannot be forced to leave the union.

10. Innomine

High Score:
    I misspoke, I didn't mean that personal satisfaction was part of the legal consideration, I was meaning that I have no doubt that there was a certain level of satisfaction for the decision being made in a non-legal sense. I would hope that if it came between legal principles and personal feelings, the former would always win out.

11. Agayek

I didn't mean to imply that they were sitting around twirling their moustaches and going "Now, how do we make this as painful as possible for the UK?". But at the same time, I can't possibly imagine at least a significant majority of the people actually making the decision weren't also thinking "Good, fuck them" when the idea was being discussed.

12. BTT

BTT Headmaster

13. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Well yeah, the "we told you so"-smugness is going to be a constant source of amusement in the coming years.
    Just to be clear though, prior to Taures post it seemed like people were arguing for this mentality to have influenced the judges of the ECJ which I find doubtful.

14. Agayek

At the end of the day, the ECJ judges are human too. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some anti-UK sentiment involved in the decision at all, consciously or otherwise, simply because that's how people work.

As I said above, I'm not trying to suggest a shadowy cabal who's sole purpose was to fuck over the uppity Brits, but there's a reason (probably several) they arrived at the interpretation they did, and "the UK are a bunch of fucking wankers" was very likely one of them (though admittedly, I'd also be shocked if that was the primary motivator for the decision).

15. Innomine

High Score:
    I'd argue that this was a case where personal feelings and legal interpretation were aligned, in a delightful way. As I say, I have no doubt of the ECJ's impartiality.

16. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

May is now facing a vote of no confidence, we could have a new PM within days and what this means for the whole EU withdraw is anyone's guess.

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vote is tonight so we'll know by then. I have to say I admire her sheer fucking tenacity and bullishness to stand by a principal she doesn't believe in but is duty bound to fulfill. I feel like someone like Cameron would have resigned the day Raab stuck the knife in.

18. blob

blob Slug Club Member

Sure wish that politicians would show so much obstinacy about things that should be fought for. As it is, however...

19. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Not like she has a huge amount of choice in the matter. Once the referendum happened whoever is running things has to go about executing the will of the people. Now, we could certainly argue that having a referendum about leaving the EU was a horrible idea in the first place, but it happened and the populace voted as it did. Democracies can't hold a vote, then say "Eh, screw the will of the people, they're all dumbasses anyway and we know best" whenever the vote doesn't turn out the way they want it to.

20. Innomine

High Score:
    Well, May wins it. But the Guardian says that the people who instigated it aren't wanting to give up. Be interesting to see where we go from here.