1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

British EU Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Taure, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Of course they don't want to give up. They're from the same cloth as Farage in this.

May is probably out the door the moment Brexit has been actually achieved, one way or another.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
  3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This was known at the time of posting. (Not much calling - she literally made this concession in part to stay on.) Wasn't referring to that - I'm saying that May will probably leave by May 2019 (if Brexit goes along as currently scheduled, adding a month for transfer of power shenanigans.

5. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Wouldn't be shocked if May either goes out or caves to pressure to hold a new election once Brexit is fully sorted out, though given what a mess the whole Brexit process has been I would actually be a bit surprised if it does go as scheduled. I'd imagine part of why she doesn't want to commit to a leave date before 2022 is because the process could easily drag well beyond the current planned end date.

6. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Holy shit the replies. They're like Corbyn flavoured Trump supporters.

8. Agayek

Agayek Heir

Does it surprise you? Corbyn is basically UK Bernie Sanders, who was basically Left Wing Trump, especially when you're talking about supporters and the quality of discourse therefrom.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    I’d have cut out the middle man. Their basic symptoms (blind loyalty, cult-like obedience and worship) tend to be frighteningly similar, at least among the most hardcore of their respective supporters. I guess no one has ever pitched a far-left FOX News equivalent to Mr Murdoch? It might find an audience.

Jokes aside, as someone who, watching from afar, for a long time viewed mainstream Labour as the most reasonable of UK political options, their recent hijacking from the far left has been tough to watch, despite the occasional unintended hilarity.

And lastly, to get back to the rabid Corbyn supporters in JKR‘s replies, as far as I can remember no one has ever accused the more vocal portion of the Corbynistas of being the most well-adjusted of people, especially the variety that tends to populate social media with such aplomb. It‘s no surprise JKR‘s (rather amusing, I might add) Christmas message triggered some of their less sophisticated responses.

10. The Nii Knight

The Nii Knight Squib

Not being Jewish myself I admit I most likely don't have the most nuanced take on this but it's a bit rich of Rowling to go after someone for antisemitism considering her depiction of hook nosed, venal, gold obsessed, back stabbing (((Bankers))) who both are and are not part of proper society.

11. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

12. The Nii Knight

The Nii Knight Squib

[​IMG]

Hmmmmm

[​IMG]

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Oz
  13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Pictures look similar. That must mean that clearly, JKR had this in mind when she wrote HP.

I loathe giving JKR credit at this point, but c'mon.

14. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Especially since from what I recall, her influence on the movies was basically "Here's the script, let us know if we left out or changed anything that'll be a problem for upcoming films."

15. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Second Year

I mean, I don't want to show support to the "jkr is antisemitic" memery, but for the sake of the argument; even ignoring the movies, we still have a repulsive, greedy non-human race in charge of all known wizarding banking, that is quasi-impossible to reason with, and boring and irrelevant history lessons about which take up the majority of the history curriculum. Knowing the entire theming and message of the series, it's clearly ludicrous to say JKR was simply coming from an antisemitic place (I'd wager it was more an anti-capitalistic&anti-banking gag from back when JKR was still a leftist), but applying the same amount of uncharitability she's applying to Corbyn in that post, it doesn't look good now does it?

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    What do you mean "when she was still a leftist"? Lol. Has JKR joined to alt-right, or is she not left enough for you?

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

18. Silirt

Silirt Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Somebody repost the pasta about Harry being a status quo Blairite.

19. Oruma

Oruma Unspeakable

[​IMG]
    You mean this?

20. Silirt

Silirt Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Yeah, I thought it was an interesting look, even though it's obviously ignoring some done-to-death discussions like whether or not House Elf slavery is acceptable.