1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

British EU Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Taure, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Pretty decent, I'd say.

Beyond prices for even basic necessities increasing, probably fairly drammatically and what Taure was talking about, the big thing for you to worry about is your visa. I'm no British legal scholar, so I can't say anything with certainty, but depending on the specific legalities of it all, it's possible that a no-deal Brexit will have a big impact on your visa. For example, I would expect that a British visa would most likely no longer be sufficient to move through the continent, and you'd likely be stuck on that side of the Channel. Worst case scenario, your visa might not qualify you to live in the UK legally anymore.

I doubt that last one will apply, and I'm certainly not an expert on British law, so don't assume it will, but I'd definitely encourage you to talk to whatever person or institution helped you organize and get your visa to find out exactly what a no-deal Brexit would entail in that regard.

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Well damn that's grim. Not sure I follow why it might be as bad as you say though?

I'm an American citizen studying in the UK, so my visa is between the US and UK (relationship unchanged), and my travel is between the US and the EU (with my US passport, so also unchanged). Shouldn't I be fine in terms of travel/visa stuff?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'd be asking these questions of a local consulate too - odds are they'll know more on the visa end than all of us here.

On the personal level, I would be looking at stocking up on medicine that you need in particular. Food comes in useful too, I suppose - basically what Taure said.

4. Agayek

To clarify, I have no idea what will actually happen when article 50 goes live. I don't know that anyone does. Especially given that i don't know the specific details of your visa and the relevant UK laws.

That stuff is just potential issues I could see coming with Article 50, and the things I would be asking a legal expert about. I assume the folks that got you the visa in the first place would have lawyers familiar with the relevant laws, and so suggested asking them about it just so you could be prepared, whatever the actual consequences end up being.

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Yeah I'll check in with our point of contact for the program in the morning. Hopefully I'll be good though...

6. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

I mean it's a good idea to check, but I can't imagine it'll actually affect your visa. UK opted out of Schengen anyway, and there's no reason for a change in EU/UK immigration to affect a visa already-issued to a non-EU citizen. I'd be more worried if you were German than American to be honest. And you can travel in Schengen countries on a US passport without a visa for up to 90 days within a 6 month period, so I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing the UK can do to fuck up your ability to travel on the continent.

Stockpiling medications and food seems like panic buying to me, but tbf nobody really knows how shit's going to go down, so I kind of get it. Unless I had medicines in the "I'm dead if I don't take this pill at exactly 11:42am every day" kind of category, I wouldn't panic yet. I would keep an eye on it though.

I would definitely stockpile decent (read "French") wine and cheese. I advise that in most situations anyway.

Also, your USD to GBP exchange rate might get a little bit better. Sucks for the Brits, but it should help you out a bit if prices do go up.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, as nothing will have changed for you.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This is going to work out just fine.

For the Tories first and foremost.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Maybe Labor should have thought of that when they were electing an anti-Semitic communist as their leader.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe the splitters should have avoided the "we're leaving cause you're racist" position if they were going to go on TV and talk about BAME folk having "a funny tinge."

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can see tomorrow's headlines right now.

LABOUR REBELS SPLIT FROM PARTY. IMMEDIATELY SHOOT THEMSELVES IN FOOT.

13. KGB

KGB Death Eater

Well atleast they would have done something, a refreshing change of pace for the Labour party.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    I think y’all are beLabouring the point.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This is all unimportant nonsense. Soubry & co too. They haven't fitted the direction of the party for a while now. What would matter would be if the ERG split from the Tories.

Still, though, I can't suppress this wonderful English metaphor of "the wheels are coming off".

[​IMG]

And how uniquely tragic that the one time where you needed a competent, moderate alternative as the opposition leader (that would be PM by now), you got ... Corbyn. Fate's a bitch, but what else is new.

Edit: A take on "Why don't they just ..." regarding a grand coalition, even leaving aside the two problems named May and Corbyn: https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-brexit-deal-and-party-divisions/

16. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, 3 Tories have broken off and joined the 8 Labour members in the new Independent Group.

What's the prospect of this continuing, or have they reached their peak already?

17. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Would've been pre-planned so probably peaked imo - leaving your party like that is a last resort usually done when you're getting axed anyway. Rare cases where politicians do it due to mere ideology. Might be the case with the Labour MP:s, tried to remove Corbyn from power but failed - either suspecting getting cleared out or actual ideological committment forced them to break off.

Not too familiar with the conservatives except from Soubry who was hardline remainer even though her constituency voted leave - expecting to be ousted either way mayhaps. Soubry has been touting the 'Conservative party isn't conservative anymore' line for months now. Not really a shocker she's leaving no matter the manner she does it.

18. blob

blob Slug Club Member

Okay, real talk: is it no-deal or what? Help me out here, DLP, I tried to get up to speed on the topic but only got more confused the more I read about it.

Does anybody have any idea at this point?

@edit:
    This answered some questions I had but never dug into - thanks

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

No.

20. Agayek

My understanding is that, at this point, Brexit is either May's Deal or No Deal, with no other realistic options for Brexit, but the EU courts have ruled that the UK just has to ask for it and their Article 50 notice could be retracted without penalty.

However, the political reality of it is that if Parliament does vote to retract Article 50, then they're all out of a job, so none of them are willing to do so. Which means May's Deal, which is increasingly unlikely, or No Deal whatsoever.