1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Building a Logical World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aekiel, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just been reading the thread about how the Ministry of tracks magic usage (in FF Discussion), and someone mentioned that attaching the Taboo to the words Avada Kedavra would make it instantly possible to track any (attempted) murder and allow the Aurors to apparate there without trouble. That got me thinking on how that would have affected the Wizarding World, and then on how if the Wizarding World acted on logic and did these sort of things, what it would be like.

Hence the reason I'm making this thread. So the question is, what aspects of the Wizarding World would change if all the illogical parts were removed/changed.

Like say... Muggle Studies being compulsary at Hogwarts or staff being actually competant at teaching. Give me some ideas, it's something that has piqued my curiosity.

2. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

The Ministry would be under the rule of Voldemort.

3. Aekiel

High Score:
    Already done in DH, though I'm talking more about the world in general rather than just specific events. After all, would the Ministry be so easy to take over if it had security measures in place against the Imperius curse and polyjuice potions?

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Well. If we took away the illogical parts...Harry would have died early on.

5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Guess I should have worded it differently, though when dealing with magic most things are illogical >_>. Still, magic is a fundamental part of the Wizarding World and it does act in a logical manner, for an illogical power. It acts in the same way every time if you cast the spell successfully and can be taught to students in the exact same way as it was taught to the teacher.

Hmm, what I'm asking is how the world would be if the wizards/witches themselves acted like normal human beings, especially the politicians/aurors.

6. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

If competence accompanies logic, then yes, for Voldemort. But since you're more interseted in thinking about the world...

I'd say a greater degree of infiltration and oversight of the Muggle government by the Ministry would be smart. Granted, this might already be the case - they certainly had no difficulty in redirecting the POTUS' phone call, and Kingsley as the Prime Minister's bodyguard - but a definite presence in the Muggle government would allow them to keep track of any areas of investigations that could lead to difficulties in upholding the Statute of Secrecy.

Oh, Gringotts' security is upgraded to be impossible for one smart and two lazy teenagers to crack.

7. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

If they put a taboo up on the words Avada Kedavra, wouldnt it still get flagged when it comes up in regular conversations?

8. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I'd say it depends on the skill of the caster. The Taboo adapting itself to the intent of the person saying Adava Kedavra would be typical of HP magic.

Hmmm... We know spells can be cast on spells (Salvio Hexia?). Why not couple the Taboo with a Stunning Spell, not have to worry about resistance when your forces Apparate in?

9. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Well, it might be that the ministry pre-Voldemort takeover actually cared about privacy, or maybe because use of the killing curse is only illegal if it's on a human and maybe people didn't like the idea of a squad of aurors apparating into their house right after they got done euthanizing the family pet? I dunno.

10. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Wrong. This would allow them to track an attempted murder via AK, not all attempted murders.

There are lots of other ways to kill someone with magic, such as physically damaging curses, other dark magic, potions, magical weapons and devices, etc.

Also, the picture I get from canon is that AK is pretty much only used by dark wizards or extremely desperate wizards, people who have nothing to lose. It does, after all, carry a heavy stigma, and is punishable by life imprisonment in Azkaban. That, and the fact that you can simply prior incantato someone's wand, which will instantly implicate that person in the crime if they cast the spell, tells me that the percentage of attempted murders via AK is most likely a very small percentage of all attempted murders.

One more thing: The fact that AK is under a taboo wouldn't be a secret for long, what with the gossipy nature of the magical populace. Even with attempts to keep it secret, everyone would find out pretty quickly, which would result in all but the most retarded potential murderers resorting to other tactics, as I mentioned above.

Meaning, it wouldn't have that much of an overall effect.

11. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

You just pwned everyone

12. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think in a realistic magical society... well, it's kind of tricky, because I think if magic really existed for that long, then at some point in early history, magical people would have pushed out non-magical people, either in retaliation to being ostracized or they simply would have thrived and out-populated everyone else.

But, say that didn't happen, and we somehow ended up with a vast population of muggles and a small population of magical folks--I still think that magical people would either find some way to control muggles simply because there would have been just too many people who thought hiding was stupid. Or magic would be absorbed into the popular culture, in which case muggles would end up on the bottom rung while magical people were projected to the top, like especially smart or talented people are today.

I don't think any realistic situation involving magic would end up with a 'hidden' society that just watches on benevolently as the world goes by--sometimes it strikes me that the wizards in jkr's universe are entirely too ambivalent about what goes on in the world. Where are all the ambitious, greedy, hungry masses? Where are the people who want to change things, or have more of something, or simply be in control? I'm not saying all people are like this, but to have an entire population content to live in 'secret'? It sort of boggles the mind. They don't act like humans, haha.

13. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Are you Grindelwald?

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

No! Aahahahahahaaa, what makes you think that? <.< >.>

15. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Newspapers would check their facts, no bank monopoly, no robes...

16. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

It can't happen. There are far too many errors for it to be fixed with logic input.

For one, how did four people of of olden days build a castle?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

18. Grubdubdub

I'm going with slaves, personally.

19. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is the same ministry that put Umbridge in Hogwarts, sent people to jail without a trial and all around ignored due process. Why they would care about privacy is beyond me.

20. Grubdubdub

Fake Moody got a special permission to use the killing curse on an animal, methinks.