1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can you Ignore Slash as you Read?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Amerision, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Here and there I see people saying, "Other than the slash it's awesome!" or, "Just ignore the slash.."

My question is (For the people who don't read slash), can you really enjoy a slash story by ignoring the pairing?

I never could, no matter how awesome the story may be. It's like this thing on the edge of your mind...I can't see how you can just "ignore it" and really be immersed. It's all or nothing.

Just wanted feedback.

2. CGB

CGB Auror

I also can't read slash. Even if it's mild. I don't know why, but as you said it stays in my mind.

3. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

As long as harry or whoever the main character may be isn't involved in the fudge packing sure. But if Harry as much as hugs Malfoy the back button goes into action.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I liked a few slash stories, but they were all abandoned before slash became too suffocating. I have yet to find a slash story good enough to make me struggle through parts where Harry gets fufge-packed by the greaseball and such. I mean, most slash stories are filled with other stuff I don't like (emo crap, angst, abuse, good Snape and Draco), so it's not much of a loss anyway.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can stand it if the slash is only background. If there are actual sex scenes then it's a definate no-no, but if the story is good enough I can handle it otherwise.

Of course, with most slash stories the author makes Harry such a pussy that it wouldn't be worth reading, even without the slash.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I can, much as I'm loathed to, however, the story has to be exceptional; not just good, it has to be a fuckin' incredible concept and well-written or I won't even bother.

So far the only one I plan on continuing to read, even when it turns to Slash, is Malignant Objects.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Malignant Objects is different though, as it's both het and slash.

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

No, I can't. I've tried. I made it to the fifth year of the Saving Conner series, but the slash bothered me the entire time. So did the emo!pussy!Harry stuff.

9. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

I agree and the majority of the slash writeres are witless teenage fangirls who only write their stories because they want to see Harry and Malfory get it on. This indicates that these stories usually are severely lacking in any form of plot or story and are therefore not worth the read anyway.
    I've never actually (knowingly) read a slash fic before so I'm not a good judge but I can't imagine a sane person writing slash and an interesting story at the same time

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I used to see the occasional Slash story worth reading, and I even made an attempt at the Saving Connor Series -- but then the series, like the rest of the Slashy Section of the Fandom had Emo, Pussy, Ultra-Weak! Harry falling desperately in love with Draco Malfoy and needing Snape as a Father Figure with redeemed Death Eaters all over the place.

I was not impressed.

I've stopped even trying to read M/M Slash -- I just skip the stories the second it either becomes apparent or I see it in the summary. I know there is well written slash out there somewhere, but I have yet to see it.

11. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

To be honest, i've never tried. And i don't think i ever want too, as i soon as i see any warning of Slash i just forget about that story. I don't really know if i could stand it or not, but i'm guessing not.

12. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can't read it, i tried but, i don't know why theres just something in me that blocks all tries to read it, and i gave up on trying

13. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

This was the only slash story I ever read http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1826556/1/ and it was very vague to where I could pass it by and like every indy harry story it was abandoned after summer

14. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I really tried to read Slash because I always try to be open minded.
    But I found they made the characters so weak and pathetic, that I just stopped bothering.
    Also the people who wrote them had no idea about homosexuality, that it just pissed me off. I mean not every gay guy is emotionally pathetic.

I also read Femslash and found the same problem.

I mean these stories turned out to be stereotyping gay people, I mean not every homosexual guy is effeminate. Same as not all homosexual women are masculine.

Most of the slash fics are just as bigoted as a lot of the homophobic's I know.

Litha

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I agree completly, slash writers tend to lose focus of their plot, if they even have a plot at all..

16. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Only slash story I managed to read was Stealing Harry.

But I just skipped over those scenes.

Otherwise I cant stomach it. Like others said before me, it is badly written, lots of cliches and no plot.

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I am with KANE on this one, as I have never tried.... and don't plan on trying.

18. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

You know, I actually thought about writing a slash story as my first HP fic. I wanted to see if I could write one well, that didn't suck (and without, mind you, turning people's stomachs with gross sex scenes and Pussy!Harry stuff), but I'm glad I didn't.

I liked Brokeback Mountain...but I would never want to read anything about Harry Potter jerking Severus Snape off...

(My slash story would've been a Remus/Sirius, though it would've focused more on their very strong friendship-that-borders-on-romance and it was the only pair that I wouldn't feel like a perv writing about.)

19. Nenagh24

Nenagh24 Second Year

South, but not too South. Umm... ¿yo hablo español
    I can't deal with slash as the main pairing or Harry's pairing. If it's a pair of side characters than I don't mind reading it because you never really hear much about their private lives.

20. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I just can't do it. I've tried with some stories that people say are truly exceptional, but I could never enjoy them. It's like there's something in the back of my mind whenever I'm reading it reminding me that two guys are going to be getting it on sometime soon. I doubt that I would be able to read the first chapter of a slash story. Whenever I see a scene with the two characters that are supposed to be gay, my imagination runs wild, and I kill the screen, immediately. There's nothing I can do about it...