1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DLP Writing Competition
    DUE DATE for Competition - June 20th!
    Please join us Guest! Ched will love you long time. Topic is EITHER Hogwarts Ghosts OR Duelling!
    Click here for more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Literature - Masterpost

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Topgundragster, May 14, 2021.

1. Topgundragster

Topgundragster First Year

This is a master post about locally well-known Canadian novels. The main genres that I feel are well written in Canada are mainly from modernist and realist writers. The strengths here are focused on the people

Brother by David Chariandy- A novel about police brutality with queer themes and focused on 2 brothers. Brother is honestly so deep and relatable to anyone who grew up in sketchy yet diverse areas. It focuses on my hometown Toronto, and a neighborhood near the outskirts. The characters are mainly students and teens that are trying to defy stereotypes

Life of Pi by Yann Martel- The classical novel about a boy and a tiger. This happens to be one of the best examples of Modernism and its possibilities. It discusses themes of God, atheism, and agnostics. The character Pi talks about religion and how he interprets the world. The main focus is surviving harsh times. A worthwhile read, and better yet, the novel that became the poster child of Canadian Literature.

Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez- This is about poverty and its effects on young children. It talks about radicalization, poverty, racism, and racial profiling. A heavy hitter, despite the hopeful writing.

The Break-Katherena Vermette- A novel about metis culture and life in the "hood", discusses the lives of indigenous men and women in Winnipeg. The themes of poverty and family are extremely prominent in the series. Worth it to see the dark side of Canada

Murdoch Mysteries- Novel that started a TV show that is still running today. The novel is about a detective in 1800's Toronto and is extremely gritty. Has a fandom full of Slash Fics for the curious

These are the novels that I think you guys at DLP might like.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Any novella recs? For a project I’m working on. Needs to be under 200 pages but preferably more like 80-150.

3. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Yesterday, when looking through the Wikipedia page for Kuntslerroman, I stumbled upon Canadian author Andrew Unger, and his new book, Once Removed. I read the first page (sampler from his website) and it looks promising.

I've been meaning to read more novels, for going on...a decade now. My return to regular fiction reading was through fanfiction, after that stint in my late teens/early twenties reading Bukowski. At any rate, I almost always feel spoiled for choice, and at the same time, never seem to find anything that scratches this perpetually shifting itch.

All that said, Unger looks like a good place as any start. Thanks for making the thread OP.

Here's the summary from Amazon:

4. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty famous one that's also gotten its own TV series.