1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Career Profile Thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Lyndon Eye, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The purpose of this thread is to collect career profiles for informational and networking purposes. It is meant to be a resource for young DLP'ers trying to find a career, or DLP'ers looking to transition to a new career.

If you're interested in creating a profile, for either a current or past job, please use the follow format:

--

Job Title: [insert title]

Job Experience: [# of years of experience in this role]

Job Satisfaction: [rating on scale of 1-10, 10 being 'I love this job' and 1 being 'I hate this job.']

Job Promoter Score: [rating on scale of 1-10, 10 being 'I would highly recommend this job', 1 being 'I would never recommend this job to anyone.']

Job Description: [insert description of high-level overview and day-to-day activies involved]

Things I love about this job: [insert description of things you like about this job]

Things I hate about this job: [insert description of things you dislike, or would change about this job]

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: [insert the personality type, experience, or attributes that you think would make someone a good fit for this job]

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: [i.e. do you need a specific degree or background]

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? [Yes/No, select one]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Job Title: Model

Job Experience: 3 years

Job Satisfaction: 7

Job Promoter Score: 7

Job Description: As a freelance model, I spend a large portion of every day checking castings on many different websites, one of which is ModelMayhem. I spend a lot of time emailing back and forth with photographers and talking with them on the phone. I have to keep my body in shape as well, that is a large part of my 'job'. Once I have a shoot booked, I can be shooting from just one hour to 10 hours. It varies a lot, just as the pay varies.

Things I love about this job: Flexibility, ability to travel, large portion of time spent working at home, being able to look at the finished product, being able to pay for my entire trip and come home with money.

Things I hate about this job: Dry spells where I can't find any work, HAVING to travel, possibility of photographer cancelling on me, asinine conversations with photographers at times, having to be pleasant, if not outright bouncy and full of energy and fun. I also dislike haggling. I don't live in SF, LA, NYC, etc, I live in Atlanta, so I can have a lot of problems finding work sometimes. So travel is often necessary, and packed with shooting every day, not just something I choose to do for fun as well as business.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: are attractive, have great self-confidence, are fit, like people, are a good judge of character, have experience with basic retouching, are literate and able to email people and advertise yourself, and like photography. Interest in what you are doing goes a long way with photographers, as well as with your job satisfaction.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: None, other than height/weight restrictions. Even those are only strict rules when it comes to runway and agency work. There are plenty of voluptuous/chubby models who make it work for them and rock the hell out of it.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yeah, sure.

I hope someone posts about careers in advertising, marketing, or graphic design. I have been considering a career in the former, and I would love to know more about it. I just don't know what the correct path is, as I've spent my life thinking I was going to go to school for history. Is going to an accredited school where you study those fields right off the bat better or worse than going to a normal college?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great idea for a thread.

Job Title: Varies... Security Consultant would fit best overall.

Job Experience: 6 years practical, 2 years additional theory.

Job Satisfaction: 8

Job Promoter Score: Solid 7.

Job Description: I'm a contractor, for the most part, which means I take on jobs in various security-related capacities. I did four years with the federal government in border security, spent the last two working for a company called IALES developing security-based training and counterterrorism consultancy, and just accepted a new contract for the rest of this year with the WA Police as their lead security advisor. Basically the job description varies and the tasks become adaptable. Some specific tasks:

• Civilian (private/government) liaison between domestic and international military forces
    • Asset Protection
    • Information Protection
    • People solutions
    • Risk-based interception
    • VIP facilitation
    • Security audits
    • CCTV/Physical Security implementation models
    • Governance and framework development for the agency

Things I love about this job:

• The travel
    • The dynamic work environment
    • The long hours
    • The wide variety of places and people
    • The responsibility

Things I hate about this job:

Heh, at times I feel like everything I love about the job is also everything I hate.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...:

It's a pretty particular field, contract work, specifically in emerging consultancy roles relating to counterterrorism. I'd say you'd need to be a person willing to work long, often late, hours. Available to travel at a moment's notice, favour both quantitative and qualitative approaches. Work with people.

That's a good one, actually: People.

This is definitely a role requiring a lot of networking and social interaction. Pretty much 99% of my job is getting other people to do various pieces of the role for me, so I can write up a given project as a success.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: Well, I got into this role using contacts that I made in the government and through my university lecturers. I completed a Degree in Counterterrorism, Security, and Intelligence as well as First Class Honours in Security Science. Basically, find people in similar or parallel positions and buy them a beer.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Sure. You could also add me on LinkedIn.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

Job Title: Mechanical Designer and Drafter (HVAC mostly)

Job Experience: 1.5 years

Job Description: I use Autodesk Inventor to design large, custom industrial chiller units. Basically, we design a system that gets vapor from a process, and separates base components out of it by condensing it, and since different vapor condense at different temperatures, once you get cold enough, stuff like methane or toluene will come right out. Some of our systems go to -230 degrees F, so this isn't your typical refrigeration, some of it is cryogenic. My boss handles the electrical end and actual parts selection, and I put it all together so the workers can actually build it, and I make the prints, use a laser engraver to make labels, and make the manuals as well.

Things I love about this job: I get to use programs I actually learned to use in college, which rarely happens in the real world. I like my coworkers. The pay is decent. Actual industry experience. Oh, and no network monitors, so I can browse the internet, and my boss plays MTG as well, which is interesting. And I can play music through my computer speakers all day long. And I don't have to deal with customers, or even use the phone at all.

Things I hate about this job: About an hour away, so commute time can very quite a bit with traffic. Some tasks can seem impossible to actually do. Sometimes the workers are absolute retards and can't read a print, and they wonder why they do something wrong when all the information is in front of them, and my office is 30 feet away so they can just come over and look at the damn 3D computer model.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: Hardworker, knowledge about general engineering, good with mindless calculations and able to research answers, or make something up if you can't

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design, which is pretty much a specialized Mechanical Engineering degree with a focus on CAD. The head engineer has been working there for about 8 years, and only has a 2 year degree. I know nothing about HVAC, so you sort of learn as you go.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Prefer if you don't. If you really want to chat, hit me up on IRC.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  5. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Job Title: Teacher of English as a Second Language, teaching in Santiago, Chile.

Job Experience: 16 months (4 terms, a few weeks into the 5th now)

Job Satisfaction: Depends on the class and the students, and time of year (the beginning of a new term is always the worst). At the best times, 9. At the worst times, 4. Average: 7.

Job Promoter Score: 10. While the job is average, the lifestyle is great.

Job Description: Teach English! I have 25 classroom hours a week, which sounds part time, but once you factor in planning time and the time it takes to get to work and back (a trip I generally make three times a day, as split shifts are a certainty) it comes out around 40 hours a week that I don't get to spend on doing things I want to do (the definition of work!).

It's not a job you do for life, really. Some people do, but there's very little opportunity for career advancement, unless you start your own language school. Most people who make a career out of it end up as academic coordinators for schools or in teacher training. (But that's not for me - I intend to either go for a doctorate or the civil service.)

As a few years between finishing university and starting your true career it can be great.

In an average day I have 3-4 classes: generally one early in the morning (e.g. 8:30-10), one at lunch (e.g. 1-3) and one or two in the evening (either 7-9 or two classes, 6-9).

You have lots of free time but as it's all split up it isn't as productive as it could be, were it in one big block.

Classes themselves as pretty much what you'd expect: we follow a textbook, though I supplement it with my own materials and ability to chat with anyone inanely about any topic.

An average class might start with a game or conversation questions, then move on to a listening or reading exercise to introduce a topic, then a focus on new vocabulary/grammar which appeared in the reading/listening, followed by controlled practice of the new language, then freer conversation where, hopefully, the students use the language they just learned. Finish with feedback and correction. Occasionally we do a writing exercise.

I generally teach adults, but have some older teens (around age 17).

Renumeration: Noticed this topic was missing! By UK standards, the pay is pitiful: around 13,000GBP/year, which comes out just above minimum wage. By Chilean standards I'm able to live very comfortably and still save a significant portion of the pay. Occasional bonuses help.

- The fact that I'm in South America and didn't have to pay to get here, and aren't dipping into any savings to continue living here.

- The fact that I'm learning Spanish.

- The opportunity to travel, both within Chile and beyond. See my posts in the PYP thread for photos some of the stuff I've done here.

- The 2 month holiday I get in the middle of summer.

- The free time.

- For the classes with lively, interested, interesting and intelligent students, the student interaction.

- It's taught me a lot about English.

- Public speaking.

- Starting a new term and realising that you have to go through all the same shit again: teaching the same material, having the same conversations, having to get to know a whole new set of students.

- The paperwork.

- The split shifts.

- Classes with students who are: untalkative, unmotivated, badly placed and thus out of their depth, or just plain stupid.

- The moment when the coordinators give you a new class, the scheduling of which appears to have been deliberately arranged to minimise your free time.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...:

- Are fluent in English. A native speaker is ideal and advantageous, but not necessary.

- Are comfortable standing up and speaking in front of others.

- Have an interest in travelling/learning a new language/learning about other cultures.

- Have an interest in English; have a basic understanding of English grammar (you can always pick up the details as you go along).

- Are okay working evenings.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry:

Being a native speaker is enough to get a job teaching English in many places in the world. However, to get a job like mine, with decent pay, legal presence working in a country, paid flights and VISA etc., you need:

- A Bachelor's degree from an English speaking country in any subject.
    - A certificate from a 120 hour course in teaching English, like the CELTA. This course normally costs around $2000 and takes a month. It's a lot of work, but not particularly hard so long as you have a decent knowledge of grammar and are reasonably extroverted.

Willing to accept further PMs for career advice? Yes if I know who you are. No if you're a lurker/newbie.

Edit: as an English teacher, I should point out that it's PMs, not PM's.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  6. awinarock

awinarock Fourth Champion

Job Title: Library Assistant (Part-Time)

Job Experience: 2 Years

Job Description: I mostly deal with Library Accounts and everything that goes along with them like over due books, late fees, making a new library card, and replacing lost library cards. I also have to entertain toddlers on the weekends either by reading to them or playing a movie. I also find books when someone can't locate them or feels to lazy to use the library catalog.

Things I love about this job: The pay is great for such an easy part-time job and when I get to work on weekdays, the job is extremely relaxed and easy. There's lots of free time that can be used to study or get something done, and the hours are generally flexible. The customers are generally very relaxed as well and I don't have anyone yelling in my year to get something done. I also get to help kids discovering the wonders of books, which is pretty rewarding in my opinion.

Things I hate about this job: The jobs is 20 min away and I get there by bus, which can get hectic and annoying. My weekends are filled with screaming toddlers and piss stains on the carpets in the activity room. The people I work with are some of the laziest fuckers I've ever had the displeasure of meeting, though they tend to friendly. Unfortunately, most of the people that actually work hard leave pretty quickly since they only applied to save up money for some specific thing and we hire new people every year. There's also lots of pre-teen girls and middle aged women constantly bugging me about exactly where we keep latest Twilight or whatever series. The worst part has to be that so many people who come to library never figure out how to use the library catalog and the Dewey decimal system.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: Can peform basic mathamatics and know/learn the Dewey Decimal System. Also, if you're looking for an easy, relaxed job that pays moderately well compared to the work expected of you.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: 2-3 Years of previous work experience that deals with customer interaction. Unfortunately, these qualifications are just there for show. Only 1 out of 7 Library Assistants we hire are hired for their actual work experience. The rest are hired b/c they're somewhat close to the people who already work in the library and needed a job.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Taure, I imagine that field was not included because many people are likely not comfortable sharing that information. Also, lol at PMs. I completely missed that.

8. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Grr. Edited post wrong and it didn't go through. Will try again soon.

9. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Job Title: Lawyer (Canada) (Criminal/minor civil)

Job Experience: 2

Job Satisfaction: 9

Job Promoter Score: 6

Job Description: A lot of my time is spent writing briefs and memos for senior partners on various things. I also draft legal documents such as statements of claim, or applications to the court for various constitutional. On Wednesday mornings I go to the Courthouse for youth issues, and then usually there's a trial that I have to attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Things I love about this job: The writing. I love crafting arguments and watching them succeed in a court. I love meeting with clients to discuss their issues and solve their problems. I love that each day is a new issue and a new set of facts, and a new problem to solve.

Things I hate about this job: I hate meeting with clients. Sometimes they have unrealistic expectations of how the legal system works, and about how easily their problems are to solve. I also hate talking about them paying me.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: In this job you need to be able to detach yourself from the problems of others. You need to be calm and collected pretty much all the time. In a court room you need to remember that the person on the other side of the case is your friend, and you have to work with them for the rest of your life (Lawyers never really retire).

You need excellent writing skills. You need to be able to put ideas down on paper in a very clear and concise manner so that you don't make the judge read crap, but you still manage to get your point across.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: As for experience you need a university degree prior to law school (no one cares what the university degree is in, you just need one). Personally I had a BA(hons) in Politics, and a BA (hons) in Philosophy before going to law school. After law school you do something called Articles, which is essentially OJT for Lawyers. It lasts a year then you write the Bar. Which is the final exam before they let you out on your own to practice law (ie, you no longer require a supervising lawyer on everything you do).

Salary: 70k (Articles), 80k (starting), 100-150k (5 years in). Although that varies a lot by region. In central Canada / Western Canada the articles pay can be as high as 120k, and 5 years in you can level out at 200k or so.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yes.

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Job Title: Software Developer
    Job Experience: 2-ish since I've been doing it, starting in College.

Job Satisfaction: 9. Would be a 10, but I sometimes do imagine myself doing other things.

Job Promoter Score: Eh. 6, I guess. Don't do it if you don't have formal CS education. The world does not need more impromptu Rails developers who go through CodeSchool or similar Hacker School and think they are hot shit.

Job Description: I make stuff. It could be anything from a programming language to a web app, or a mobile app for Android/iPhone etc. So far, I've spent my time on web development.

You write code, comment it like a good programmer, write documentation, solve any problems that the users of your software might be facing, etc. On paper, it's all fairly simple, but programming is a hard job. It varies widely from the type of problem you are trying to solve, the language you are using to write your code in, your co-workers etc etc. Most times, [url="http://imgur.com/YAnUh.jpg]it's like this[/url]

Day to day: Varies from working for a mega-corp to working for a Startup to freelancing.
    MegaCorp:

1.Regular 9-5 job. What you will actually end up doing really depends on the company and job description obviously. It will most certainly require long hours in front of computer, meetings in boardrooms to discuss the software architecture, some management troubles etc.

2. I see most programmers complaining about management and unrealistic deadlines. This is a big issue. Software almost always takes a much longer time than you expect it to.

3. You won't own anything you work on, and chances are, you won't be allowed to own anything you might create on your own time, either.

Startup:
    1. The cool life. You learn more at Startups than at your average sized company. You can experiment with new tech. You get to experience "fast" development, and you get to stay away from any managerial problems and focus on your work.

2. Everyone should work at a Startup at least once. It's an amazing and humbling experience. You get to see up close how a company is being run, problems faces by the founders early in its inception, how they get past that etc. You'll have tons of experience, which you can maybe one day use to start your own company!

Freelancer:
    1. This is a tricky one. I can't offer much advice here since I've never really done freelancing. Basically, it's all about contacts. You won't get as many jobs from freelancer.com or odesk.com because the Asian coders are gonna offer their services at half the price. ;)

You're gonna have to find clients yourself, negotiate the pay, work, take care of any problems that arise later, and maybe even offer support.

2. On the plus side, it makes things flexible. You can work out of a coffee house, or just your home in your pajamas. You don't have to worry about a 9-5 job.

Things I love about this job::
    1. Working with smart people.
    2. I get to work with Computers. :)
    3. That feeling when something you created is being used by someone.
    4. Logic, Complexity, Algorithms.
    5. There's always something new to learn.

Things I hate about this job::
    1. Circle-jerking in the programming communities. We are worse than photographers.

2. Interviews. They are a complete mess. Instead of talking about your experience in the field, programming interviews are about who can solve the most ridiculous puzzle/algorithm problems.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: Love working with computers, have an aptitude for logic, and are very detail-oriented. Math background is great, and can get you ahead of many others, but it's not strictly required, tbh.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: In this day and age of Coursera/Codecademy/Udacity, to get a basic job which pays decently (at least in the Western countries), I don't think you need a Comp.Sci. degree, but again, please get one if you can. While these online courses are admirable, they produce substandard programmers who have incomplete knowledge of how things work. Programming is getting more and more commonplace, but that only makes those with formal education more valuable.

If you're a hardcode CS person, you can also go into research.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yeah, sure.

11. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Job Title: Military Medical Specialist, Singapore Armed Forces (Basically Combat Medic)

Job Experience: 9 years and counting

Job Promoter Score: 5

Job Description: Training reservist personal to refresh their skills and training new blood.

Things I love about this job: The job itself?

Things I hate about this job: Dealing with idiots and retarded Superior officers who thinks that their 9 months of Officer Cadet Course equals to crap load of experience on the ground.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: If you can stand long and unpredictable working hours and stupid bosses you might get.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: Diploma on Healthcare related subjects, like nursing.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yes

12. Black Hat

Black Hat Squib

Job Title: English/History Teacher

Job Experience: 6 months in a classroom, 3yrs as a volunteer adult literacy tutor

Job Satisfaction: I’d say 3-9. It varies depending on which class I’ve just taken, on whether I feel like I’ve helped students, their attitude and whether or not I’ve got a pile of marking waiting for me.

Job Promoter Score: It really depends on the other person.

Job Description: I have 20 contact/classroom hours a week but I also perform another 30 hours of work outside of the classroom. I have to plan lessons, which isn’t as hard as it might be but is still time consuming. I also have to mark completed work, attend staff meetings and do yard and bus duty. It adds up.

I also still work as a volunteer adult literacy tutor for three hours a week.

• Teaching
    • Helping people (especially with my volunteer work)
    • Interacting with students
    • The responsibility

• Students who have no interest in learning and disrupt the entire class
    • Dealing with parents who don’t give a fuck about their kids
    • The politics – who gets what office/classroom etc
    • The responsibility
    • Staff meetings

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: You don’t need to be an extreme extrovert but you need to be able to talk in front of a class and interact with colleagues. In my experience it isn’t necessary to have teaching experience before beginning a teaching degree but it’s a good idea since it gives you experience that looks good on a CV and helps you decide if teaching is what you really want to do.

You have to be resilient, especially in a high school. Teenagers are some of the cruellest little bastards in the world and you can’t let their attitudes get to you. At the same time though, you need to be compassionate and able to empathise with their situations. It’s a balancing act really.

It isn’t necessary to know everything. A lot of people make this mistake. You need to be able to learn about your subject/s and be willing to do some research if something that you don’t know comes up or have good strategies for dealing with situations like that (my favourite one is to tell students asking me questions I don’t know to research the answer and report back to the class).

Flexibility is essential. There will be days when you build a lesson around a computer task or a video only for the computers or projector to decide not to work. You’ll have to come up with another lesson on the fly, preferably while maintaining the original lesson aims.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: You need a university education degree of some description. The exact degree depends on what your university offers and on how qualified you want to be. For example, I know teachers who did a three year bachelor degree while others spent six years getting their Master of Education.

Willing to accept further PMs for career advice? Yes

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It used to be (in the U.S., at least) that getting a Masters straight away made it hard to get a teaching position, as the degree commanded a higher salary and schools were reticent to hire teachers with little experience at the higher pay scales. Is this still the case?

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Job Title: Business Analyst

Job Satisfaction: varies day-to-day. On a good project, between 6-9. On a red project, between 4-8. Currently working from home on training lands me at about a 6-7.

Job Description: when I work on Professional Services projects, I basically operate as an intermediary between the business end-users of the business intelligence tools and the IT support team. This means I need to have a working knowledge of the business and the data warehouse framework that supports said business. In other words, I'm the guy who designs the layer that takes your stored data and makes it useful for business applications. So when I'm not in meetings trying to convince the IT guys to trust the business (and vice-versa), I'm normally monitoring and charting the construction of the data warehouse using SQL Assistant.

Things I love about this job: great people, a lot of job satisfaction when things go well, the satisfaction of working with some of the best products in the industry, solid pay, and the travel isn't too bad.

Things I hate about this job: the training is mind-numbing and tedious, the certification exams are a pain in the ass, there is way too much jargon that seems specifically constructed to make the industry incomprehensible to outside observers, and there's occasionally a lot of stress associated with red projects.

Also, there is a serious education deficit on client sites regarding business intelligence and data warehouse, and the fact that so many clients stubbornly refuse to educate themselves on the matter is frustrating in the extreme, particularly when we provide them the necessary training dossiers and all they would have to do is read the fucking things.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: are generally outgoing and possess strong communications skills, are detail-oriented and creative, have a broad range of knowledge and sufficient analytical skills to leverage various schools of thought with each other.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: fairly steep, mostly because the majority of universities don't have the material prepared to adequately teach business intelligence common practices (to the extent that said practices exist). A strong knowledge of math, statistics, and economics is highly recommended, and a working knowledge of modern business is absolutely required. And, of course, you need to be fluent in multiple programming languages (including SQL) and be familiar with the various conventions surrounding database architecture.

Once you've accounted for those hurdles, the next big problem is breaking into the industry, which has done a fine job the past couple years making itself utterly impenetrable to the majority of people (and yet they wonder why they can't find data modelers and scientists). The jargon-heavy nature of the industry (to say nothing of the certification requirements) can make it quite daunting to get your foot in the door.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Talk to me on IRC if you want any of this.

15. Legacy

Legacy Order Member DLP Supporter

Job Title: Line Cook

Job Experience: 3 years in various restaurants ranging from your standard bars to middle-class establishments such as Milestones, Moxies, and TurtleJacks. I tend to work part-time during my school year and full time during the summers.

Job Satisfaction: Can range greatly from day to day depending on how busy we are and how under stocked we get. On good days when I'm constantly moving and we have everything we need I'd rate it an 8 because I always know exactly how well we did. On bad days it drops down to a 5 because I'm constantly running off line to go make what should have been made in the morning or something broke. Still enjoy the job on those days, I just happen to want to hit someone then.

Job Promoter Score: 6, fun job for some but not for everyone.

Job Description: I cook on line, close the line, do inventory and orders, its really not all that difficult.

Things I love about this job: Cooking, cooking, cooking. I love to cook and meeting people who regularly mess around with recipes and all have their own tricks is great. Access to an industrial level kitchen is something that regularly makes me do a little dance on line, I rarely ever do my cooking at home now since I just know where everything is here and its always better stocked. As someone who hates standing around doing nothing, the constant go go go pace of a kitchen fits perfectly. Probably my favorite thing besides being able to walk away with a new list of recipes whenever I work at a new place is the people. I have yet to meet a kitchen guy I don't like.

Things I hate about this job: Front of house staff doing stupid orders in the middle of a dinner rush to the point we have to stop everything we are doing just to figure out what moronic thing they punched in. Morning prep folk tend to be part timers who don't really give a shit about the place and just want to go through their list and leave without actually checking to make sure the place is fully stocked. The fact that you can't really know exactly how busy you are going to be on any specific day (don't get me wrong, you can make assumptions based on past numbers but that's still just an assumption). Hours can be random because of the previous statement, I'm generally in at noon and there till pre-close is done on whichever section I'm in, this means I can be out as early as 7pm or I could be there for a 12 hour shift if things get really hectic. Inventory also can kick the shit out of me since I'm doing kitchen manager training now, I'm either staying in till 4am Monday morning to get it all done or I'm just arriving at the same time to start the order.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: Like to cook, can deal with high stress environments, can deal with generally being in the dish pit for a few months, don't mind getting yelled at, and always keep yourself busy.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: At this level there really isn't any restrictions, you just have to be willing to put the time in at the bottom of the totem pole until you prove you can deal with the environment. If you want to go to a higher level than this though its pretty much a necessity to have completed one of the professional cooking programs.

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

Job Title: Business Information Technologist (focus on Software development)

Job Experience: 3 yrs which was half Bachelor studies and half on-the-job training, 3 yrs full time

Job Promoter Score: 8

Job Description: This impressive job title is supposed to mean that you are the interface between the nerds on the IT side, and the business / management guys on the other side. Knowledge in both economics and programming is taught, with courses like requirements management, software design and data warehouse, depending on your specialisation.
    In my case, it means programming as well as testing, checking and implementing the specification documents and third level support.
    The actual job varies widely - of the fifteen people in my year and company, no more than two did the same job as me. While I work in software developtment (JEE frontend), others worked in server management, communications, marketing or ATM interface testing.

Things I love about this job: Working with computers (and with co-workers who know their way around a computer)

Things I hate about this job: The pay could be a bit better, but considering my work intensity, it's ok ;)

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: like working with computers on a technical level and are also interested in the "business" part of it.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: Bachelor of Science degree, but depending on the position and company, any amount of experience would be an acceptable substitute.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yes, if you're interested in the German side of things.

17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'm going to preface this by saying that this is my current job but not the job I desire. I'm going to school for time as well as doing this full time so it's taking me a bit of time to get there.

Job Title: Collections Agent for Bank of America.

Job Experience: Just had my one year anniversary a week ago

Job Satisfaction: 6. Only because it's not my passion but I enjoy the people I work with and the pay is pretty good for a guy still in school

Job Promoter Score: 5. I don't really recommend it but the experience of working in a call center can make you more sympathetic to others in a similar way to working as a restaurant servier. Plus it's got good benefits. Again though, not my passion really.

Job Description:I call people or people call me to either repay overdue balances or take care of day-to-day minutiae regarding their accounts/credit cards with us.

Things I love about this job: The pay is awesome as a guy without a degree and it's only going up as the promotion scale is really pretty quick compared to some other places. The times I get to sit on inward (basically I wait for people to call me) is great because calls are few and far between in my unit, allowing me time to catch up on here and catch up on fics and real books or my writing. I also love the bosses I work under, their great and since I'm currently working on a project with a projected end-date of next January, I'm hoping I can follow them to whatever project they move on to.

Things I hate about this job: When you're first hired, the hours suck because most new hires work the second shift which is 1pm-10pm with a lunch break in there. I hated that shift, but I got switched to an 8am-5pm which is awesome. I also hate the customers sometime because they can get belligerent and blame me for their problems. (It's not my fault you can't keep you card from being past due. That's on you). The other thing I hate about this job is that there's no real flexibility besides the time off you're given and the few extra hours you can take off for sickness. Overtime (which is awesome pay) is hard to come by unless your division is in need.

You would be a good fit for this job if you: Are just starting out in the corporate world and need a good starting job to understand the ropes. Are a student in need of a good paying job to continue education. Also suitable for those who like to manage people but you have to work your way up to that, however's it's far quicker than you'd think here, you just have to put in some time.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: This is the best part, I still haven't gotten a degree of any kind and I've already received two bonuses (year end and mid-point) as well as a raise and a small promotion.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? If you really want to sure, but I have no plans to make this into a career, so I can only tell you what I think in terms of "it's a job."

Edit: I also wanted to mention that if one more person makes some smart crack about how I've "probably called their house," I'm gonna hurt them. It's the stupidest thing to say ever because A) it makes everyone around you aware of just how shit you are at handling money and B) It makes everyone aware of what I do for a job and then people ask me a deluge of stupid questions that quite frankly I don't want to answer. That said if you guys have some actual decent questions, I'd be more than happy to help you with this since working here for a year has taught me some really good tricks and tips for managing your credit cards and accounts. (this goes along with the whole PM for advice thing).

18. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Job Title: Management Consultant

Job Promoter Score: 10

Job Description: I'm in the corporate strategy department of a large company (so this is internal management consulting rather than external). The work is project-based, with a new project every 2-6 months. A project arises when one of the executives within the company come to us with a business problem that they want solved, but don't have the resources to dedicate a full team of people to it.

Project work is done with a team of 3-4 other people that's constantly changing. Team structure varies, but typically there is a manager on the project, a senior consultant, and a couple of associate consultants (that's me). The type of projects we do varies a lot. Currently, I'm working on social media strategy for our company, and figuring out the people and processes that go along with it. My last project was figuring out a branch strategy for our China operation (trying to optimize how branches interact with headquarters). Past projects have included operational turnaround in Vietnam and market entry strategy for our India start-up.

Day-to-day activities: lots of emailing, client and team meetings, analysis on Excel, and Powerpoint Powerpoint Powerpoint. Our end product is a final deck of recommendations that the client will hopefully implement.

Things I love about this job: I love the people. All of my coworkers are incredibly talented, driven, and just lots of fun. Given that I often have to travel with these people, it's a relief that I like them so much. The travel isn't as intense as external consulting (where you fly in Monday morning and fly out Thursday night to the client site), but there definitely still is lots of opportunity for it. This past year, I've flown over 100K miles on work trips to Vietnam, India, China, Harry Potter World, and a side trip to New Zealand.

I also love the project work at some points (particularly in the beginning of a project, when everything is new and possibilities are endless). There's a mad dash to learn as much as possible about the topic and problem before brainstorming possible solutions. This part is exciting and engaging.

Things I hate about this job: I don't like client interactions. As a client-facing job, there's a lot of eating, drinking, and schmoozing with clients, late into the evening. Happy hours are loud and frenetic. Some personalities like this sort of thing. I usually just want to crawl into bed and read a book.

I don't like the ambiguity. Consulting is all about making recommendations with an incomplete set of data and knowledge. You do your best and try to make a judgement with the facts you do have. But I've never been comfortable making recommendations that I can't believe in. It makes me feel like we're pulling the wool over the clients' eyes or (even worse) potentially recommending a disastrous course of action.

I don't like the fact that this job isn't something I'm passionate about, and that I just can't get excited about it on 80% of the days. But I guess that's a common malaise.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: ... are extroverted, good at communicating, have competent analytic skills, and are Type A. I made my department do a Myers Briggs, and by-and-large, there were lots of ESTJs, ENTJs, ISTJs, and INTJs. 'F's do not do well in consulting - probably because of the ambiguity. And on that line of thought... you must be good at dealing with ambiguity, and doing work that you don't believe in.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: There are three entry tracks: undergrad recruiting (for associate consultants), MBA recruiting (for consultants), and external consultant recruiting from your Bains/BCGs/McKinseys (for senior consultants and managers). If you're not in any of these tracks (at a top undergrad or MBA program, or already in external consulting), you can still break into consulting with heavy networking and hustling. Just be prepared to excel at case interviews if you manage to get your foot in the door.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yes. Happy to help with resumes and give advice for interview prep.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Job Title: Senior Research Scientist

Job Experience: 15 years (8 as Senior Scientist)

Job Promoter Score: 4

Job Description: I do basic and applied research in theoretical plasma and high energy density physics for a National Laboratory. As a senior scientist, I also mentor junior scientists, postdocs, and students, lead research projects, lead a software design team, serve on high level panels and working groups, and brief folks in Washington DC, the Jasons, the National Academy of Sciences, visiting VIP, etc. My projects include some that are open and publishable and some, pertaining to national security, that are not. I also do all the regular academic scientist stuff: write research articles and proposals, give presentations at meetings, review proposals and articles, serve as editor for journals, serve on committees, etc.

Day-to-day activities: I probably only spend about 20% of my time actually doing science. Most of my time is tied up with meetings, writing proposals, etc., the minutiae that allow others to do science.

Things I love about this job: It's cliché, but every day I learn something new about the way the world works at its most fundamental level, which is why I went into this line of work. The people I work with are amazingly smart, creative, and motivated, which has an infectiousness that makes for a great work environment. The Labs are particularly good at cross-disciplinary work, marshaling the skills of diverse groups of scientists and engineers, which is also fascinating. Scientific conferences are held in interesting locales and I travel to international conferences about once a year. Also, at my stage of career, I am tapped to participate in high level strategic planning and thus can have a broader impact on the direction of the field. I feel especially gratified to see staff members I've trained and mentored grow into their own. The pay for senior scientists is comfortable, on par with that of tenured full professors in top U.S. universities.

Things I hate about this job: The ratio of time spent doing science to time spent doing other stuff is too low. I don't enjoy the travel as much as I did in the past. It's disappointing that with overhead rates as they are, no project can afford to pay me full time, meaning my time is divided among several projects and I seldom have the opportunity to put my all into any one thrust. My best scientific work, from which I derive the most enjoyment, comes when I can throw my entire intellectual weight behind something; this is impossible to do when my week is broken up as it is. I spend a disproportionate amount of time writing proposals to feed mouths on my team. Also, I've limited opportunities for further advancement unless I commit fully to management, which would entail giving up essentially all of the science I enjoy. Finally, for reasons I won't go into, academic and professional accolades and awards tend to go to university professors and not Lab scientists (e.g., I'm not a Fellow of the APS, despite having twice the top-tier journal articles and citations as most newly minted Fellows); if this kind of recognition is your thing, you're better off taking a faculty position somewhere.

You would be a good fit for this job if you...: Are intelectually intrepid, have a passion for science, and possess outstanding communications skills. To be an effective scientific leader, you need affective intelligence, an ability to lead people, a sense of how to build an effective team, and a savvy for intrapreneurship.

Job Qualifications/Barriers to Entry: This is not the easiest or safest career path to pursue, to be honest, and looking back, I doubt whether it was worth the risk or effort (hence the low "job promoter" score above). Your "union card" is a Ph.D. in science or engineering, ideally from a top university. A fraction of those can get into a good postdoc position, working long hours in a whirlwind of "publish or perish" to build their academic résumés. A small fraction of these can join the Labs in an entry-level Research Scientist position. Then, after putting in several years, they (maybe) climb the ranks.

Willing to accept further PM's for career advice? Yes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  20. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Shouldn't this thread be members only, at the least? I realize one can just choose not to post if they are concerned about privacy, but it still seems like it should be members only.