1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Carlos Mencia Live Show Punisher tour

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Midknight, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy fucking hell.

Just got home, and he was fucking incredible. I got his email to send him some feedback on a voice record he did for me, he's a great person IRL

Here's a review of the show I posted on his message board.
    If you can see him, go.

Shot of one of the tour's Tshirts w/ autographs of everyone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Nice. His show is pretty fucking amusing, especially that convience store bit.

"Go buy a vagina cork."

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah...

Be frank, I just DO NOT "get" Carlos Mencia.

He seems very self-satisfied to me, and simply isn't that funny or insightful. He doesn't seem to offer anything new to me. I get the whole ethnic joke thing he does, but he's just not that funny.

Having said that, the lack of talented Latino comedians in this country is depressing. I like George Lopez, but I can't think of anybody else who's remotely prominent other than Carlos and George. And while I like George, I can't seem to get behind Carlos.

P.S. I HOPE I'm missing people, because if there are only two latino comedians, it becomes tragic considering how many latin people there are and how many white, black, etc.

The only group that's less represented is Asians. Man our comedy needs to be broadened culturally. Fuck it, if Carlos does that, then I'm all for him.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

A lot of his jokes have a real edge to them, the kind that you know are pissing off some over-sensitive asshole watching it at home, that always gets a laugh out of me.

5. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

He's quite a pathetic comedian. I can't watch his show or any of his older stand up shows without laughing at him, not at his jokes. His hyper 'lem me wave my hands about and make stupid faces' mannerisms while he talks is just ridicuously annoying.

And his jokes are blunt and stupid, not much creativity or anything involved. The only skit that was funny on his show was the Arabian Rapper one, and perhaps the 'dinner for 75 and above', and the latter was funny only because of the old people.

There are plenty of hilariously funny latino comedians. Pablo Francisco, Greg Giraldo...they're incredible, live or taped. Mencia cannot even compare to their worst stuff.

Mencia's whole routine consists of making stupid faces, jumping around stage and making racially directed jokes that could be funny, but aren't because he lacks talent.

This is his routine:

"Yeah, the black guy wouldn't do it because there was no fried chicken!"

*spots a black guy in the crowd and rushes over*

"YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! YOU KNOW IT!!! LOOK, HE'S LAUGHING!"

*black guy smiles slightly, Mencia dances away with an underserved sense of satisfaction*

*laughs stupidly* "Look at all the beaners! They're like 'I take the peanut, and I PLANT THE PEANUT!!!!!!!!!"

*I sit in front of the TV staring stupdly at him*

Mencia's humor sucks, and I'm actually surprised that people like him at all.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Exactly, or the fucks that are so full of themselves and think they're so sophisticated that they can't laugh at a joke that doesn't require massive amounts of thinking, or they want to keep the comics confined to PC bullshit.

Carlos makes fun of the stupid shit folks do, and sterotypes, and he says flat out things alot of folks won't say.

Take Katrina for example, he brings up a great point about them rebuilding New Orleans... the exact same way it was before... next to no new flood prevention systems, nada...DUR. Now most folks won't touch that one period, and so the millions upon millions will be wasted the next time a massive hurricane slams into an area below sea level.

I took alook at the comics mentioned above, and they bored the piss out of me. Mencia has energy and keeps his crowds pumped up.

*shrug* most folks I know that don't like him are the cut and dry boring sort, scared to say anything not PC. Anyway, this isn't meant to be a slam or defend him thread, it's a review of his show and entertainer skills for folks interested. If you come in to bash him kindly go look at some safe Bill Cosby comedy or something. Not everyone wants to watch comics in a sunday suit and do the old white folk laugh, some of us enjoy low brow humor.

Not to mention latino oriented television is one of the fastest growing segements out, if there was anyone else worth a fuck out there, they'd be on TV. Mencia's comedy is far tamer then Chappelles, and yet it seems where Dave went WAY the fuck out there on everything and it was cool b/c a black dude was doing it, Mencia doing just common sense checks gets folks hating him. WTF.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  7. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

It's nothing like that, for me at least, I just don't think he's funny... at all. I've always felt he was just a watered down Dave Chappelle, except he's hispanic and not as funny.

Glad you enjoyed the show, though.

8. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Dave always had a tongue firmly planted in his cheek. Carlos doesn't. And I forgot about Pablo Francisco. I love his "movie Voice" thing. Giraldo is amusing, but not brilliant.

The problem for me is that Carlos seems to lack subtlety or a point to his work. Its a sledge hammer he operates with. Can it be funny? Sure, and I have no problem with the guy. I don't view this as a class issue or anything. I just don't find him amusing. He's not making light of stereotypes or satirizing them (as Dave did); he's just reveling in them. And that would be fine if he could get a laugh out of me. But he doesn't. MOst of the time his jokes feel obvious.

And don't know Bill Cosby, Mid. Cosby is a pioneer of comedy. He's second only to Richard Pryor in terms Blacks in stand-up.

Having said that, let me re-iterate. If you check out Carlos's stuff on youtube, and you like him, then buy a ticket. More power to you.