1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Casual Background Magic of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Otters, May 24, 2018.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We're all in it for the magic. That was the initial draw for so many of us. And Harry Potter is a fantastically vibrant world full of magical background details - this, more than anything else, is what separates it from the thousand lesser works trying to imitate it.

I've been thinking a lot recently about these moments of casual background magic recently as I'm trying to use this as one of the main themes for the piece I'm writing at the moment. These moments are one of the key elements I always feel is missing from fanfiction.

What are your favourite examples of background magic in Harry Potter, whether from the novels or the films?

Some of mine are:

Malfoy drawing a stick figure of Harry falling off his broom, and then enchanting it to move before sending it flying over to him.

The Weasley family clock.

Omnioculars - now this is a fantastic example of divergent wizarding technology, rather than going hurr-durr muggles are better because iPhones have eleventy billion megapixels per second.

2. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Just to name a few:

- The mirrors (at the Burrow, and maybe one in Hogwarts too) commenting on your appearance is something that stayed with me.

- The floating candels in the Great Hall. It's really simple but a very nice touch, and it looks great in the movies, IMO.

- The moving pictures, especially when Harry tries to flee from a pic with Lockhart. Also, seeng Ron trying to make Dean's poster move really drove in the idea that it's another world altogether.

Basically, I really like the pieces of magic that have no impact on the plot an are only there to make the world different. It's really a nice touch, because most of the time the little details of world buildng either are plot-relevant, or try to relate to the real world so that the reader isn't too lost. But in HP, these ones do the exact opposite and it really adds to the fantastic feeling.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just how weird some of the shit that happens at St. Mungo's is. Quoting from OOTP:

JKR clearly had fun thinking these up, but if you look at fanon it's all just bloody explosion curses and limbs flying everywhere and whatnot.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Dumbledores Gadgets, the wizard stirring his tea in the leaky cauldron. Any of the floo scenes. I mean come on sticking your head into a fireplace to call someone. Shits pretty crazy.

5. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I read this in HBP just now.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A timelord using magic to stir his tea.