1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Change of Fate by Vathara - SAO / SW Crossover

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Otters, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Change of Fate
    Author: Vathara
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Sci-Fi
    Length: 55,474 words
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: Kirito/Asuna
    Summary: On the planet of Corellia, Kayaba released Old Republic Online... just before the Clone Wars...
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10365222/1/Change-of-Fate

This is pretty much a classic Vathara fusion fic. Plot is nothing special, but how she melds two disparate worlds is really interesting to see. Sword Art Online is inserted into the Star Wars world, functioning almost as a combat/Force training simulator.

Everyone wakes up in the middle of a battle on Corellia during Order 66, and immediately sets about applying the skills learned in the VR game to real life. No time is wasted, and the Force makes for an interesting new mechanic tying the game world and the real world together.

I've seen it recommended a few times in threads, figure it deserves a thread of its own. Posting a couple reviews people left in those threads for awareness here and get some more interest going, hopefully.

If I had one complaint, it'd be that the fic is fairly short and has the kind of ending which just makes you crave a sequel - closing off matters by showing the characters head out on their next adventure.

4/5

2. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

It's great. The characters act like expected and seem genuine. The author did a good job adapting Star Wars mythology and thinking to SAO. As a reader you need to have seen or read SAO and have at least some star wars knowledge. Vathara explanations at the end of the early chapters help a lot in that regard.

Characterisations and grammar are also good. It might seem short but it's the only place where the story could end without turning it into a sprawling epic, which I guess was the Intention.

5/5

3. Damy

Damy First Year

It's pretty good. Intriguing concept, and well executed, which is rare enough. Excellent integration of the two universes, though I suppose that's because SAO is fairly easy to put into anything without breaking stuff.

I was a bit worried when I checked the authors other works, as they have written that Thrower of the Dart fic, that's basically 10 chapters of Phil Coulson (and other people) talking about how messed up Artemis Fowl is and how much trauma he has, and other angsty stuff (and some other plot). A bit of that here, with Kirito's backstory, but its a minor thing that he at least seems to be handling pretty well and dealing with appropriately. So all in all that wasn't bad, and actually proved to be an interesting backstory for a character that's easily very boring.

Other characterizations were good. Though many of them suffered from too little screen time, which led to some of their personalities being told to us by other characters. At least it seemed like it, but I was excited and read quickly, so who knows - it wasn't jarring anyways, and probably couldn't have been handled much better with so little space. Though what the author could have done, is reduce the amount of PoVs and characters - I'm a SW and SAO fan, and some names and characters blended together or seemed kinda unnecessary. In the sense that if it was going to be an epic, then this was a good chance to introduce them, but as is, it feels like a tighter cast would have been better.

Also, I got lost a few times due to PoV change, but A) I read too quickly B) I rarely read multiple PoV stuff, so maybe I'm unused to it.

Some of the banter is really good, and I want more of it.

Bottom line, its not a master piece, but I would like more of this crossover, it probably has quite a lot of potential due to how well the series mix.

3.5/5 -> 4/5
    Gonna go find more of similar stuff

4. ALanos

ALanos Muggle

I would say that I liked the premise of the crossover but I feel that it needed some sort of continuation or expansion of scenes with how short the story felt even at over five thousand words a chapter.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I like the premise. I like how they've meshed the settings. I really enjoyed the Corellian worldbuilding.

I didn't particularly like the ORO survivors' portrayal. Way too many of the OP/Indy tropes for my tastes.