1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Character Bashing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord North, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Lord North

Lord North Second Year

what character in the harry potter series do you dislike most?

I really dislike the weasel, gin-slut, herman, and neville all equally. I think everybody would agree.

but what are your opinions?

2. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

To this day, the Chamber of Secrets is my least favorite book in the series strictly because of Gilderoy Lockhart. When they saw him in OotP, I wanted to kick Ron's ass for feeling sorry for the asswhole.

3. Lord North

Lord North Second Year

yeah definatly.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  4. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

Hey! what did Neville ever do? And sluts are awesome! Don't bring down sluts and compare them to Ginny! yeah she would sleep around but sluts don't stalk people like she does! Oh yeah Neville... He's not even that built as a character! He could be compared to just about every person... well male with low self-esteem that's not emo!

Besides that...Well herman and the weasel do suck... I kinda thought he was gay till the sixth book... Maybe he's Bi.

5. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I really, really don't like Herman because she is annoying personified. If I were Harry, I'd have stopped all communication with her aftr first year.

6. Geisterstunde

Geisterstunde First Year

In a dark room in front of the only light source:
    My most hated character is Ron!!!
    I haven't liked him in the first book (train scene:wall: ) but after the fourth I wanted to kill him!!!

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mate I think you skipped the part where you gave a reason, we have nothing to agree with basically. :p

EDIT: Oh and I dislike Bagman.

8. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

I despise Dacro Malfoy the most. He drags the Noble House of Slytherin down. He isn't even cunning, he just sprouts off his ideas, and is an arrogant little git. I may have been reading to much fanfic though.

And how can you hate Neville! We know near enough nothing about him!

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Name 20 that are.
    Any particular reason, or is this like the situation where one see's a professional admire something and decide it is of good quality?

I personally dislike the Dursleys the most. Most of the other characters can be spun given how little we see.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really mind Ron too much...I by no means like him, and blame him for Harry's complete ineptness in all things magical, but as day to day interaction goes he doesn't annoy me as much as some other characters.

The same goes with Ginny; we really don't see her and hear from her enough for her to be properly annoying, other than in fanfiction.

There are two characters that I hate the most, and they are Hermione and Hagrid.

Firstly, Hermione, the only character that I absolutely hate. It's her attitude. Her bossyness, always thinking she's right, ordering people around and not thinking other people's opinions worth anything.

People say that that was only in book one and she's changed since then, but you only have to look at HBP where she completely disregards Harry's knowledge of Malfoy as a Death Eater to show that she hasn't changed her ways.

Add on to this fact she's a complete bitch - the moment someone is doing better in a class than she is she starts to get stropy.

And as the topping on the cake, is the foundation for all this, which is her sense of self importance and intelligence. The fact of the matter is that she isn't that intelligent and has let being the best out of a mediocre year inflate her head, thinking that she's one of the best witches in the world. We've seen several examples of what a truely good wizard is like:

-Tom Riddle was becoming immortal at this age, and was able to lie to Dumbledore without detection,

-Snape was creating his own spells and adjusting Potions,

-The Marauders became animagi and James Potter is able to do non-verbal spells a year before they are taught.

All Hermione has is a decent memory that allows her to reproduce what she has read, and a good work ethic.

So, thats Hermione, now onto Hagrid. I only find him annoying, compared with my hate for Hermione. I just find him the most pointless and boring character in the whole series, and to make it worse JKR devotes huge portions of the books to him. That chapter when he gets back from visiting the giants in OotP was the most boring chapter in all of HP.

/rant

11. Gamblor

Gamblor Second Year

I hate Herman. I suppose i have to give a reason above that of "She breaths" Well in the books... you know what i mean. She apparently knows EVERYTHING and is the smartest witch of her generation. Now i know fanfic's exagerate this horribly but in canon she is shown to be extreamly smart. Extreamly smart people do not get that way by just reading they have a certin something a certin spark that makes them special. Herman is smart cause she has an abrasive personality and had no friends so had nothing to do but study. hell the only reason she does have friends is because ron and harry feel sorry for her after allmost getting her killed by a troll.

She is an abbrasive ugly person (I HATE (Yes so much i need to cap it) Wehn she is portrayed as suddenly blossoming in to a sex symbol *Barf*

in short DIE HERMAN!

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Apparently, you just.. aren't, eh?

Makes me wonder why Raven even took the time to install Spell Check when hardly anyone seems to actually.. you know.. use it.

13. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

Well I think it's obvious but my most hated character is Herman.

I'm not even going to say her name, because it just pisses me off. My main reason's for hating her, is down to her anally retentive need to patronize. She's snobby and loves herself too much, she never listens to anything Harry and Ron say.

She constantly looks down on others, and is very quick to get jealous. She should just die a very painful death, because she's also a selfish cow.

Litha

14. Nenagh24

Nenagh24 Second Year

South, but not too South. Umm... ¿yo hablo español
    I really dislike Ginny, but I have a feeling it is more from the fanfiction that over-glorifies her part in the books than from the books themselves. When they leave her in her original role of side-/secondary-character, I can ignore her, but lately she seems to be a major part of just about every fanfiction. :wall: But even in the books I thought she was rather stupid. I know talking diaries are cool, but get some real friends! Then again, I can't really fault anyone for not being friends with her as I probably wouldn't either.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I actually don't mind Hermione in most of the cases (as long as she isn't bossing Harry too much).

My absolutely most hated thing in HP is the Weasley family. Their whole existance is simply there as a concept of what JKR considers the 'perfect' family should be like: poor in money and possesions, but rich in numbers and love. What a bunch of idealised bullshit that is! She had obviously never seen a truly poor and numerous family.

As for the characters, then it'd be Ginny and Ron, partially because of all the already known reason, and partially because they are the two Weasleys most commonly used in fanfiction.

But individualy, the most anoying character in the whole series must be Molly Weasley. She's just so clished and prosaic representation of the perfect mother, that scenes with her are usually making me sick.

The worst thing about her is her relationship with Harry, when she addopts him as 8th son or some shit like that. I mean, she already has 7 fucking children! Why the fuck would she want more?! I've known poor mothers with lots of children and they were usually very exclusive with their family functions. You see, what JKR failed to incalculate is that each child would have their own pack of friends they'd bring home to play. If each of them was invited to lunch, there'd be nothing left for the family. That's why there was always the rule that all the guests are to be sent home during meals and other family functions. So, either JKR screwed up her characterisation, or the Weasley cow has something to gain from inviting Harry in (money from Dumbledore or future husband in law).

Oh, and I agree about Hagrid being useless. His initial function was to act as a contrast to the Dursleys, symbolyzing contrast between muggle and magical world. But as this function has been taken over by the Weasleys in book 2, Hagrid's role in further books always seemed forced and needless. JKR should have killed him off ages ago (or sent him with Maxime to France).

16. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

My thoughts exactly. Hermione just memorizes facts from books. Read Happy Red Prince to get a slightly more detailed description.

I also hate Ron because he dragged Harry down to his level. There is NOTHING in this world that I hate more than someone squandering someone else's potential. NOTHING. It just really makes me sick when I see somebody who could do all kinds of great things given the right training and/or encouragement, and they're sitting on their ass doing nothing to better themselves because one of their friends/parents/associates has convinced them to do something else. I hate that. I know that it's slightly irrational, but I've seen it way to many times where someone's life is ruined because somebody interfered with it. Admittedly, Harry wasn't strong enough to resist this, which makes me slightly disgusted with his character, but Ron just drug him down, which makes me hate him almost as much as Hermione. Fuck the Golden Trio.

17. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I like Neville. Snape and Draco are the two I can't stand. Pretty much ever.

And the way most people write the crappy fanfics, it's easy to hate Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Molly.

But mainly I'm speaking about fanon, and when people write characters that they expect us to like... these are the ones that fail and end up just being plain awful. Characters like Lucius, Fudge, Umbridge we're not supposed to like in the first place.

18. Lord North

Lord North Second Year

ahh sry I didnt give reasons..

I didnt like ron because he gets to jealous. and hes very much useless. I remember seeing someone had an avatar or icon that said ron is wormtail #2 I very much agree with that.

herman is too bossy. she thinks she is more intelligant that everybody else so that makes her better than everybody else. nope. just makes her even more annoying. those seens with house elfs in order of the phoenix made me want to push her in the fire or something.

gin-slut. is just a stalking whore. nuff said.

ok sry I didnt make it clear. I think canon neville is alright. I dont like fandom neville. because authors always make him all powerful, all knowing sidekick of harry. how can that be? in canon he showed know magical skill.

19. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

No he didn't. He was one of the last three/two standing. And you have to remember, he tried to take on the Death Eaters when he was out numbered. With a broken nose

Anyhow, I alsao don't like Ron.

Mainly because he is too hotheaded, drags Harry down and just generally annoys the heck out of me. Why didn't he just finish that Unbreakable Vow Fred and George tricked him into. He would have died, and we'd be rid of them.

20. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

While Ginny, Herman, Ron, Malfoy and etc are all either bastards or jackasses, the character that pisses me off the most is Minerva Mcgonagall. She never defends any of her students against Snape and it seems as though she never gives anyone a little bit of leeway.

The thing I hate most about her is in Ootp when instead of telling Harry to fight Umbridge, or helping him with that bitch's ridiculous punishments, she tells him to be a pussy, a huge fucking pussy.