1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Culinary Cheap/Drunk Eats

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by thoriyan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. thoriyan

thoriyan Slug Club Member

Thought a thread about college/drunk eats might be fun. It's like the cheap and healthy thread minus the healthy bit :)

I'll start off with my go-to: ramen carbonara.

One package of instant noodles (preferably Shin Ramyun)
    Hot water
    One egg
    Oil

Cover the noodles and dried vegetables (if any) with hot water and soak until soft, then strain out the noodles. Save seasoning packet until later.

Add oil to pan and heat on medium-high heat. Add strained noodles and veg. This should sizzle and the noodles should start getting crispy on the bottom. Sprinkle HALF of the seasoning packet on top of the noodles and mix it in. Turn off the heat and crack one (or two) eggs onto the noodles, and stir vigorously again, coating the seasoned noodles with the egg. Dump in bowl and stuff in face.

Some of the egg will scramble if it hits the bottom of the pan - I think this is OK but if you don't, add the egg after you take the noodles out of the pan.

I enjoy mixing in minced garlic, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, or whatever leftovers are available with this recipe but often just have the egg and ramen.

2. Blinker

Blinker DA Member DLP Supporter

Made a dal today for the first time (it's an Indian lentil stew) that is definitely going to be made again and again.

It does take a while but is simple, cheap, and delicious. It makes enough for at least 5-6 portions and is going to stop me leaking money on ready meals.

500g Black Lentils
    Three onions
    Bulb of garlic
    A couple of inches of ginger
    6 tablespoons of tomato puree
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of chilli powder
    60g butter
    500 ml whole milk

1. Soak the lentils in water for at least a few hours, but ideally overnight (and leave space, they get bigger!)
    2. Drain and rinse them, then put them onto boil for about 45 minutes
    3. Slice up the onions, garlic and ginger, then fry them in the butter while the lentils are boiling. The onions will need a while to caramelise so can stand to be on for a bit before the other ingredients, but really all three can go for ages provided you don't burn them.
    4. After the 45 minutes mix the salt, tomato puree and chilli powder into the frying pan.
    5. The lentils should be pretty soft at this point (not mushy but don't really resist crushing), drain any water away that is above the level of the lentils, then add the fried stuff and the milk.
    6. Bring it all to the boil, then simmer for 90 minutes, stirring every once in a while. If it dries out, add more milk and water (in a 50/50 split). If it's not thick enough give it more time.

It's bloody delicious, and the whole thing set me back about £4 for 6 meals.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

If I'm dead on my ass drunk and just need to lean on the counter while something cooks, and then fill up my stomach before I go to sleep, I make rotini pasta (boil for ~4 minutes) then mix in some olive oil and ground basil and garlic and a pretty decent amount of salt and pepper.

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The Greeeasy Egg Sandwich:

What you'll need:

2 eggs
    4 breakfast sausage links (the mapely kind)
    1/4 sweet onion - diced
    Shrooms
    Asparagus or some spinach
    Olive Oil
    Bread, preferably the healthy kind
    1. Scramble the eggs. Whip 'me good.
    2. Cook the eggs. Try and end with a "patty" in the shape of your bread.
    3. Put that shit under a paper towel in the microwave to stay warm.
    4. Cook the sausage, and put her with the eggs.
    5. Use the sausage pan and add a bit of olive oil and drop in some chopped asparagus, then the onions after a minute or two, and then the shrooms once the onions wilt and carmelize. (If you're using spinach, don't put it in the sautee pan. It will turn to mush and Popeye won't be happy.)
    6. Sautee that shit.
    7. Toast your bread.
    8. Put everything together, veggies, oil and all.
    9. Feel happy.
    It's nearly impossible to fuck up. You can overcook nearly everything and it will taste just fine.

5. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Literally done this exact same thing. Occasionally would dump a spoonful of concentrated curry paste and a splash of milk when craving some extra flavor.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I'm drunk and I want quick easy food, I make like Beef Stroganoff. Best shit ever.
    It's pretty much Hamburger Helper, but it's not from a box.

When I was younger I'd do some Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese, or Enchilada in a bowl, where you just take an enchilada insides and throw it over top of some rice, add extra cheese.

Or, my favorite, a ravioli burrito. Take a can of Chef Ravioli, and put it in a burrito, add taco seasoning.