1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Childhood Flavours

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by CareOtters, Sep 6, 2018.

1. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

We've all got one: a dish that instantly takes you back to your childhood. Maybe it's something warm and simple, or a recipe only your grandmother could ever get right, or a weird dish that no self respecting adult would ever eat.

For me it's stovies: pretty much a ghetto beef and potato stew. We used to eat this out of mugs to keep our hands warm while clustered around a bonfire on wintery nights. Good times. I don't think I ever have or ever will make it for myself, but it brings back some fond memories.

[​IMG]

What are your childhood nostalgia dishes?

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tamales con chile rojo y cerdo and Tamales de Dulce.

Tamales de Dulce was my favorite time with my grandmother as a child. She always kept some of the masa to the side and we'd mix in some raisins and some caramel sugar for the filling. That's pretty much what got me into cooking as a kid.

Red Chile and Pork tamales are the best thing in the world. It was an all day thing and I can just remember the smell of the chiles as they were toasted and mashed with garlic and onion and lime in my grandmothers molcajete. Largest fucking thing ever. I remember always wanting to pick it up. It was the only thing that sat on her counter top in her kitchen, and its one of the three things I allow to sit on my own counter top now. Its really, really old.

A lot of people take tamales for granted but they've traditionally always been a comfort food that you make with family. My family was shit, except for my grandmother, so when I make them its how I remember her and I teach my children the same way she taught me.

3. tywyll fiach

tywyll fiach First Year

Crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches that my gran used to make me. I can remember laying on her couch,with a bucket next to me, watching return of the Jedi and all sorts of other movies as a kid, sick and home from school.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jim Beam and Coke.

5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not even going to give you a thumb as a reward for that one.

6. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I think it's called rice pudding in English.

Loved it when my grandma made that dish for me (she still does whenever I come to visit her). Some sugar and cinnamon, browned butter, and apple sauce on the side and I'm right back in my childhood.

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Auror DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So, here's one:

My favourite dish, and instant pick me up food is Fish Curry, Pilchard's to be specific. If it ever comes up people instinctively turn up their nose but it's flavoursome, filling and just tastes divine.

[​IMG]

For me, this was a dish my mum used to make rarely when I was kid which I loved and after she died whenever I visited my grandma (before the Diabetes, damn it) she'd make it. I've had other fish type curries and they're generally rancid, but this is the real deal and now I'm an adult with a vegetarian partner, I don't really get to make it for myself that often, alas.

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Fucking crispy mac and cheese. With bacon and onions in it. Bake until the sauce has mostly congealed and the top is nice and brown.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cinnamon rice pudding is just the best, albeit being hella bad for you. I engineered a low calorie version of my grandmothers New Orleans-style recipe (a la add rum) to use egg-whites, cashew milk and splenda. Only 250 calories for an eighth of a 9" wide 4" deep casserole dish.

I make it at least twice a month.

10. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Second Year

Two things come to mind; My mom's tomato soup and my dad's pancakes.

Every saturday dinner we would eat that tomato soup before the main meal, whatever it was, and it was just right. After my mom died my sister and dad sometimes make it but it's just never exactly right or the same.

My dad's pancakes give me that nostalgia everytime I eat them, however rarely that is now. They're pretty thin (especially for american standards) but have this subtle but lingering vanilla flavor that's just great. He didn't make them often, a few times each year when we came back from vacation or just as a surprise. That's what made them special and memorable to me I think.

11. duplaja

duplaja First Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

For me, it was always slumgullion. I know there's likely 100 different ways to make this, but this was always the recipe that made me think of the middle of winter, when everyone was too tired to do much, but we wanted something hot. I know some recipes use pasta, but ours was always just ground beef, mixed veggies, onion powder... and I'm not sure what's really in the sauce. Basically, a big bowl of beef with some veggies mixed in (very few).

It's not something I'd make myself, but thinking of it really takes me back.