1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Christchurch Mosque shooting

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Innomine, Mar 15, 2019 at 3:06 AM.

1. Innomine

Innomine Order Member Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

The guy in question is from 8chan's /pol/. Posted his manifesto there. Started the video with "Subscribe to Pewdiepie," played the Remove Kebab song and British Grenadier's March on the way in, and Initial D while driving away and shooting people. At least from the one that was livestreamed. The other two men and one woman I haven't seen as much about just yet, but there are multiple locations that were attacked and multiple vehicle borne IED's. The manifesto was posted ahead of time on 8chan and is purportedly full of shitposting too.

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

Over forty dead according to the Prime Minister. I don't believe there is a larger terrorist attack in our history. Coming in the wake of an assault on the Climate Change Minister, it still hits as an absolute gut punch. A horrific racist attack and I hope there is a thorough investigation into the means of the coordination and arms and why this wasn't discovered earlier, and any reforms we can make are made.
    --- Post automerged ---
    *Controlled explosions setting off bags left in central Auckland. Which also means there are more involved. Was likely evacuated as these were spotted earlier.
    --- Post automerged ---
    The attack involved two separate shootings, at different mosques, IEDs in vehicles (disarmed), and explosive bags in Auckland. More than forty dead. 48 more in hospital.

4 were arrested, one was released as not connected.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:58 AM
  4. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner DLP Supporter

Jesus, that's some fucked up shit. Hope you guys catch the fucksticks responsible and they get what they deserve. Best wishes to the folks in the hospital and everyone that lost someone, this shit never should have happened.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Holy shit... you know, it's one thing to read about it in the news overseas, and it's another thing entirely when it happens at home. I know Christchurch, I've spent a lot of time there. New Zealand changed today. Early reports say that the people who did it were not on any watch lists, and that police priority in this area was focused on islamic terrorism, not white supremacist terrorism.

49 people now dead. I also know someone who works in the justice precinct there, and she says that they are holding someone who has a suicide vest on.

@Quiddity Do you have a source for info on the bags in Auckland? Is it a precautionary detonation, or did they confirm explosives inside?

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    There are no words.

What do people like them think this shit will accomplish? How do you go from "spread my cause" to "let's kill fifty people"?

7. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

He posted on pol, his manifesto and social media are full of the usual alt-right talking points, memes, and propaganda. While he streamed himself murdering people he even told people to subscribe to Pewdiepie. Just the natural end point of the alt-right indoctrination pipeline.
    "Globlism! Soros! White Genocide! Immigration is a Jewish plot to replace white people! Fight back!"

Spout enough hate and calls to violence day in day out, and no matter how much they play coy and cry "freeze peach! so much for the tolerant left" eventually the propaganda is going to do its job and someone is going to act on it.

Tolerating nazis now because of the retarded idea that tolerance has to extend to intolerance doesn't work any better now than appeasing them did in the '40s.

If you'd told me yesterday that this was going to happen, the only thing I would've had any problem believing was the where. The who, the what, the why, and the how are a shitty song stuck on repeat.

8. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

RNZ, but yeah I'm really unsure if it was precautionary or not. The Police Commissoner said something about them not being that. Is precautionary exploding something they'd do? I assumed it meant they were somehow activating the bags explosives.

9. Innomine

High Score:
    I believe that’s SOP in unknown cases, but I may be wrong. What I heard on RNZ was that the only reason they were taking that as seriously as they were was because of chch.

I fly from Wellington to Dunedin tomorrow. Pretty sure that’s fine...

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

This is something we need answers on. The PM today avoided critiquing the services, which actually angered me. We need to recognise this as something that must be connected to a number of failures in our security and regulatory system that we must fix. What precisely that is, I'm not sure, though the police have been highlighting a rise in guns in the country for several years now. (And I'd also heard the same re the Muslim community reporting threats with little response, and an active Christchurchian White supremacist community.)

11. Innomine

High Score:
    I think we need to be careful to have a full understanding before we start throwing blame around. When that is done, it should be careful, considered, and not done as an emotional reaction to this horrific tragedy.

But make no mistake, there must be some very pointed questions/a reckoning over this.

While I do recognise that this type of stuff (especially in small isolated cells) is hard to detect, the fact that this man has a history of this type of behaviour on the internet while being undetected is concerning.

What gets me, is that I was in Parliament as this happened. Meeting with one of the principle advisors in MCDEM. I left just before 2, must have been just before shit started hitting the fan there.

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

I agree, this

Is mostly what I was highlighting. The PM and Police were at pains to make clear he wasn't on any watch list. In my head, and given what is publicly known, that is not reassuring, and I would have liked her to admit that that fact represents some failure or gap in our detection systems.

This is the first time I've had a domestic disaster in my adulthood. I remember where I was when Trump got elected, and a few other international events - but that wasn't *us*. When the Christchurch earthquake happened, I hadn't left school and just wasn't as engaged in it. That's what I keep coming back to - that its us. And that doesn't stop being a gut punch.

Maybe I'm less of a globalist then I like to think.

Edit: the bags have been confirmed harmless. Seems like this was just a Christchurch attack.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:38 AM
  13. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, I definitely understand. I was in a very different place when the EQ happened, but also, that’s not something that’s preventable. Just gotta roll with it when it happens.

I would take the signalling of him not being on any watchlists as a strong sign that they are thinking the exact same way we are here. This is not some guy who has just had enough and decided to shoot up a school. This was a systematic well planned attack 2 years in the making.

This would not have needed sophisticated surveillance to discover. And as academics and the Muslim community are saying, warnings that this type of attack were not taken seriously.

This is a watershed moment for New Zealand. We lost our innocence today.

14. Longsword

Longsword Fourth Year

Nobody was appeasing Nazis in the 40s. And please, this shooting is nowhere near as bad as actual Einsatztruppen.

15. TMD

TMD Professor DLP Supporter

The video was a bit surreal, its so weird just watching him park his car up, take his guns out, walk up to the mosque casually with 4chan meme songs playing etc.

16. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

First they came for the Muslims, and oh I'm sorry I forgot I wasn't supposed to speak out until they finish the job.

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Globalism doesn't stop you from being born somewhere and having - usually positive - feelings attached to the country. This hits home in a way that other mass shootings do not, just as your grandparents dying probably hurt you more than someone you met once a year at a local BBQ. That is human, and not at all mutually exclusive with globalism. (IMO)

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

19. Longsword

Longsword Fourth Year

Indeed. I was horrified to see Chancellor Ardern and her Neo-Fascist Party support the perpetrators.

20. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Holy shit, just woke up to see this.

My heart goes out to New Zealand. I'm just so sorry. Mass shootings, terrorist mad shootings....there just aren't words.
    The only words are: this is not acceptable. This needs to stop.

Are there any funds set up to help victims?