1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Classical music while reading fanfiction

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Zevrillion, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I recently started to listen to classical music when I read and I find it rather relaxing.

So I was wondering if anyone else does the same, and if anyone has any recommendation on classical music.

2. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Sometimes classicals. Other times instrumentals from movies. And then Rap. Yes sir thats right Rap. But yea music is good when your reading.

3. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Personally, I try to pick my music depending on the story. If it's an azkaban fic, songs that help you hate the world, like the Evanescence group are good.

I do that with my mood in the car as well. It's raining, bring out the angst!

4. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  5. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Musicians, UNITE!!!

I looked over the list, and some of those are really fun to play. The Hungarian Rhapsody is pretty crazy. It's almost like a joke the writer. You know, it starts all serious, and ends with music not unlike a circus.

ANyone else play a music instrument? If so, which one?

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. I play the cello and spanish guitar.

6. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

I play piano and electric/classical guitar.

Usually i'll listen to music when i read but not any specific type. Sometimes though i just find it too distracting and don't bother with it, but only if i'm tired and not very concentrated.

7. Project Dark Overlord

Project Dark Overlord First Year

Classical music is very relaxing to listen to when reading. I esp. enjoy listening to soundtracks from movies or different animes. It just seems to add life or emotion to what I am reading.

8. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I've never been able to get into classical music. I've tried a bunch of times, but it's just not for me. I listen to rock, 24/7. And I'm talking about Guns 'n Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen kind of rock.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i adore classical music in many forms. Strangely enough, I detest Mozart though. Well, apart from his Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which is great.

I love Brahms, especially his Hungarian Dances, though I have only heard numbers 5 and 6.

Handel is very good in general, especially his Wassermusik and his Feuerwerkmusik.

Vivaldi's 4 Seasons is good, but I don't really enjoy much of the rest of his music.

Tchaikovsky is very good, the 1812 Overture, while long, is amazing to listen to when done properly.

If you want excellent flute music, try Satie. Excellent stuff.

I don't really go in for organ music, but I love bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It is sooooo amazing.

Apart from that I like traditional celtic and scottish music.You ain't heard msuic until you have heard the massed pipes and drums of the Royal Scottish Regiments. Its amazing.

Some opera is good, I enjoy anything sung by Russell Watson, excellent English tenor. And Bryn Terfel is a birlliant singer. A welsh tenor, he has recorded some amazing songs in welsh.

10. The Morrigu

The Morrigu Guest

As it has already been pointed out, about matching song with mood of story. But I don't really tend to listen to classical, just operaish/classical.

Ones I would recomend are the following:

The opening to ElfenLied anime. It's called Lilium, and it's really good. The entire song is in Latin.

I would also suggest some Hayley Westenra, more precisely this song called Dark Waltz. I got it recomended from a fic I was reading, but it is really good.l Makes you want to dance while reading. (At least it did with me).

(Flicks through iTunes playlist)

Also some Stream of Passion, Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Enya, Alanis Morrisette and the Corrs, if you want to get into a mellowed ish mood.

However, some of the above artists, (Nightwish and Epica especially) do tend to have some metal songs, so if you want to just read WITHOUT being deafened, just be forewarned. Other than that, enjoy! XD

11. Flamata

Flamata First Year

IndoGhost, I listen to movie instrumentals too! I didn't think anyone else did that besides me- currently I'm developing a slight obsession with Star Wars movie soundtracks. People can say what they like about the new trilogy, but the love theme song is amazing. It's called "across the stars"- if you're writing any kind of romance, I recommend it. Ditto on listening to the same kind of thing you're writing about.

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    Morrigu, I also enjoy Nightwish, have you listened to any Lacuna Coil or Falconer before? Both of them are similar, though slightly heavier than Nightwish.

13. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Its either Classical or Smooth Jazz for me. Both are all insturmental, and are also good to listen to when studying for school. You know that rumour that listening to Mozart when doing work makes it get done better? Its true....

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    its a fac that listening to classical music stimulates the logical areas of the brain. So listen to it when you do maths homework, it helps. It doesn't have to be mozart.

15. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

I too listen to any classical music while reading, and perhaps some jazz. Other kinds of music, tends to distract me when reading.

I play the guitar and I’m trying to learn the piano.

Oh, and listening to classical music is known to increase visual/spatial skills.

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Classical or stuff like Celtic. That + thunderstorms and other nature-ish sounds.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    Celtic music is good, but I don't think anything beats The Mounted Marches by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Regimental Band, playing at full volume, with the bass cranked up.

18. andiais

andiais DA Member

Jazz, Blues and old 30's, 40's and 50's swing for me. Otherwise, it's the score of La Triviata, the first opera I ever saw.

19. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Lord of the Rings soundtrack will blow your mind when reading fanfiction

20. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Another is the soundtrack to Battle Royale.