1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Clear and Present Danger- My premise for a possible Muggle/Wizard conflict

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Malcolm Tucker, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Malcolm Tucker

Malcolm Tucker Second Year

4-This brings me to my next scenario. Anyone ever read "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy?

I've had some idea's floating around while running sometimes(keeps mind occupied i guess[​IMG]) where a a story can somewhat follow the books premise. I'll explain it using Clancy's original characters, as it would be easier that way to understand, but it would be applied to the UK if written.

I feel this would be a great way to create a sound/tight knit story of the outlined scenario occuring.

Start off with a intelligence briefing to the president where Jack Ryan and the head of CIA(only the top levels of muggle government know of the existence of wizards and track/study them while gathering intel through various ways....spying/ sympatetic muggleborns who were "cultivated" for info/etc etc) state that wizarding activity has climbed twofold for unknown reasons(between book4/5 and well into book 5) with more and more people being casually memory wiped, tortured, killed, raped etc by wizards and muggle infastructure being attacked by giants/dementors

Soon after, the presidents close friend and his family, someone whose daughter could be a witch(may be plausible reason why president was interested in wizarding world more then usual) were vacationing in Britian, where they much like in the book were brutally murdered after the women were horrendously raped.....evidence gathered revealed it was wizards.

Enraged, the president tells CIA to do whatever it takes to gather as much intelligence and info on the wizarding world(maybe its centered around britiain because much like centuries ago uk was the power of the world..and the wizarding world is a bit backwards in some aspects) and wants to curtail wizarding influence on muggles by getting those responsible...but only those.

Enter former navy seal from third sog John Clark, who along with a couple special operation units are sent to britain to await targets to neutralize. These targets are to be supplied by cia and ryan with networks they set up which would put together all info they have up to this point as well as new information coming in....

Enter the part played by expertly trained Felix Cortez, a confident skillfull womenizer trained by the KGB who in the book seduced and used the head secretary of the FBI director(her husband died of cancer 2 years earlier) to gather fantastic intelligence information in which might seem "harmless"(where things are/when+how target leaving as he merely innocently wanted to organize a weekend "rendez-vous" as fast as possible when shes not working etc) ..in this situation he is with the cia, and is provided a list of "targets" that after much intel prove to be the best suspects to gather most information.

In the book these targets can be i dunno...

-Prof sinistra and the muggle studies prof from hogwarts...

-Emmaline Vance from the order of the phoenix,

-Mrs. Granger(hermiones mother..maybe trouble in her marriage due to hermione not spending time with them compared to the weasleys, who knows?....alot of info could be gathered from her mother knowing about diagon alley and where it is, platofrm9 3/4, hogwarts..where the school is, whats it like etc from what hermione told her..then add her seeing lucious malfoy and his ideology and mr weasley treating them kinda like clver monkeys, maybe hermione told her mom how she excitedly went to hogsmeade alone with ron for the first time, her crush,and Harry stupidly broke the rules when he snuck out through some secret passage from Honeydukes building in third year..leading to way in hogwarts... ) In short all information that would seem "harmless", but would be absolutly GOLDEN to certain muggles.

Also, further regarding the Grangers, JKR stated she had orignally thought of making them go through a divorce due to Hermione losing touch with the family cuasing problems etc....hence I REALLY like this idea...she would be vunerable and could open up if the right buttons are pushed.

-Maybe a ministry worker or character that could be created as another viable option..

Its established in the books that its VERY common that muggle man/women end up with a magical person, so i think this scenario works. He chooses a person, probably the ministry worker, emmaline vance, or mrs granger to cultivate and provide as a source of intel.

Casually as their relationship blossoms, he seductivly and cleverly weeds out apparently "non relevent" info out of them that he feeds back to cia etc.

This results in an attack against possibly a few aurors obliviation squads, determined locations of azkaban with dementors, diagon alley, st mungos,hogwarts , the ministry etc established...or other things of importance, depending on who he chooses.

Say one of the special ops teams with helicopter suppport move in on azkaban and destroy it and take out alot of dementors(maybe extensive use of white phospherous, dunno...need to flesh out military capability etc.) In retaliation, Voldemort, after interrigating the one muggle soldier captured(or kissed, but memories still in his head if they dont leave with his soul?) attacks one of the areas where one of the special ops teams in located, wiping them out brutally(or move family of presidents friend being killed by death eaters HERE, with original movement due to wizarding acts of mind wiping and damage to muggle world)

YET, voldemort, being the mischevious basterd he is, plays it off as if REGULAR wizards or the Order of the Phoenix did it, not death eaters, to cleverly make muggles attack regular pro muggle magical people in order to create anti-muggle feelings and thus more support. In anger the president says if the wizards want to fuck with him, theyll get it. He orders that they present a clear and present danger to the usa and for CIA to do whatever it takes to stop their actions.

Cortez, through mrs granger or emmaline vance or whomever, finds out the locations of some auror training facility/how to get into the ministry of magic(fucking phonebooth...), or where some top level magical ministry ppl live(amelia bones/or some death eater mansions, very big players in the ministry)..or if through mrs granger the location of the burrow, home of the weasleys, big supporters of ootp(who appeared to have been part of the destruction of one of the special ops teams).

So a three pronged attack is order, amelia bones and many members of the magical law enforcement are killed(replaced by another target of significance) by a special ops strike in the ministry, or at their homes..

A auror training facility located in the rural country is bombed..and thge weasleys are about to be fucked with their home destroyed and kids "taken" from hogwarts by an insurgent force provided by info from his source, who gave to cortez an outline of the castle, how to get in, to where gryfindor tower is and how to get there while goung through alot of secret passages hence avoiding talking pictures etc in pillow talk when asked about her student life and how she snuck around for quality time in the kitchens/astronomy tower or something.

Yet jack ryan, who has some other source(where info was originally combined with felix cortez's source to collaborate action),and looking over reports of voldemorts last reign of terror puts it together and discovers the civil war in the wizarding world, realizing it was death eaters and not regular wizards who theyve targeted that did all this. He takes action and stops john clark and his team before they destroy the burrow and kill alot of the weasleys and from blowing into gryindor tower at night and taking their kids.

Cue confrontation/meeting between dumbledore and ryan, cortez coming clean and being compramised and leaving dodge. And an alliance being struck to help fight voldemort.

Holy fuck thats long. I know its basic to the bare bones with A LOT if question marks, but creating alot of this speculation just now, I believe it could be really fun to write and read...solely for enjoyment, by a competent author.

2. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

You're joking right? The plot bunny thread (for discussion of exactly these types of ideas, also known as plot bunnies) is literally three threads down in this forum.

Just :facepalm The fail is strong with this thread.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Muggle repellent.

4. Malcolm Tucker

Sorry, I'm new here, a mod can move it to the appropriate forum.

---------- Post automerged at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

:D

So which idea's would be decent, and which should be thrown to the scrap heap? The entire thing? I do think there is something to go on with regarding muggle parents of wizards/witches being heavily disgruntled and leaking info.....

Anyways, I'm not claiming its the best shit since chaucer and shakespeare....but in a pure entertainment pov a decent fic regarding some muggle involvement would be fun, if written competently...which I assure you all i know what I typed isnt all that. It was more one of those first brainstorms used to plan a essay, whose idea's you mostly toss out except for one or two.

5. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

[​IMG]

You FAIL on too many levels to count.

1) Grammar and orthography - eye cancer guarantee.

2) Tom Clancy as starting point- *puke* Keep your nationalist BS to yourself.

3) "Plot" and "idea"- My dog is more creative.

6. Viper

Viper Fourth Year

During which Dumbledore opens a huge can of whoop-ass on the muggle. He then uses Legilimency to find out whatever he can about their operation and spreads the info- or rather intel- to the Aurors who then launch a guerrilla attack of whoop-ass proportions on the troops.

7. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

This. So much this.

OP:

If you want to rip off Tom Clancy (I'm not asking why, so don't explain it, because it will never, ever make sense) draw inspiration from The Hunt for Red October and do the story of a Death Eater trying to defect and having Voldemort hunt him, having the Order and Ministry hunt him, all the while trying to find some sort of sanctuary with the people trying to kill him. Regulus Black or Karkaroff might be the character.

Don't just strip the skin off of a bad novel and shit wizard into its veins. Do something interesting, and feasible.

Edit

In retrospect, I don't like to discourage people from writing. Go ahead and write your plot bunny from the OT and post it in FF.net, but I do not think DLP is your audience for it. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd recommend.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I know that JKR originally intended for Hermione to have a non-magical sister (but the idea was dropped by the time of OotP due to it being 'too late'), and that there did seem to be a bit of a background conflict to keep Hermione connected with her family (the holidays and such with her parents, and her often choice of staying with Harry/Ron), but this is something I haven't heard of before.

Where/when did JKR mention this cut divorce idea, and was there any other information like this to do with the series out there?

9. Malcolm Tucker

1- It was 3 in the morning after I finished coursework, besides it's the fucking internet.
    2- I'm NOT American.....
    3- Hence why I posted it, for everyone to critize the hell out of it and see if theres anything good in there or not.:)

---------- Post automerged at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

True, very true. He would probably manipulate them in some way as well to achieve his own goals.

---------- Post automerged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

yah, this is a tough crowd, but atleast you're all mostly sensible, and not a bunch of 'omgfgggg!1!111 Hermione is with ron omfgr!!!! I refuse to watch the movies...rowling was on druggzzz!!1" young twilight like teenagers that normally inhabit boards.

I thought Clear and Present Danger was one of Clancy's last "decent" works...and figured a scenario where a PM's close friend and his family are killed by wizards, accompanied by escalating wizarding activity might correlate into a small conflict...I was just wondering if everyone else agreed it was a plausible way of doing this.

I like the critism though, I want to appeal to intelligent audiences and not merely mindless teens hellbent on their own "ships":D

10. Grinning Lizard

DLP likes grammar, formatting, and overall coherency

Why be offended? What's wrong with being American? Your post looked like it was written by an American. Even the British President would tell you that.

C'mon, man :( There's an edit button on your post.

Edit

How the fuck did you ninja that? I saw you post, typed for about twenty seconds, then hit Submit and - another automerge.

11. Malcolm Tucker

I'll try and find the link after uni, but I definatly saw her say it in a interview once, and it's been discussed at other boards. It would have fleshed hermione's backround more, but might have taken too much space to impliment.

---------- Post automerged at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

1- I gathered, and will do all possible to remain immaculate in my diction:D

2- Well I'm not, and theres nothing wrong in being American, I just wanted to establish that I'm not on some nationalist vendetta. Like I said, if this were to be written, it would be with the UK PM etc, and I only used the original country/characters to more easily explain the situation.

3- I'm lazy?:(

EDIT: I assume you mean when my reply to 3 posts were merged into one? The forum did it automatically.......which I think is a brilliant feature?

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Oh boy, this guy's going to last long. :facepalm

13. Grinning Lizard

What... dude.
    Christ's sake stop posting for a second. This [​IMG] set of buttons is your friend. The white speechmark buttons are multi-quote, so you don't have to do it one at a time. The edit button is a way of being slightly less annoying. Other members will seriously chew you out for this, so stop it.

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Really?

REALLY???

Do we have to open that can of shit-tastic fail also?

15. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Absolutely love this idea, can I steal it?

16. Grinning Lizard

'Course you can.

But I want first read privileges ;)

17. Malcolm Tucker

What would be a plausible reason to cause a Death Eater to defect though?

I couldn't find the direct link where she says she considered Hermione's parents having a divorce after she becomes a witch, but I found multiple accounts of other people having seen the same thing, so I know I didn't mistake anything she said.

So I take it my idea is ridiculous and horrific then...damnit, I thought it was a alright way to incorperate a story from a "muggles" point of view.

Has anyone broached the subject of Muggle Studies being taught by a actual muggle? That could be interesting, especially if its one which didn't die during a Death Eater raid and with his expertise(could be a prof or uni grad) DD decides to have him as some sort of assistent to the prof at Hogwarts.

hmmmmmm.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Crippling fear of the psychopath known as Voldemort? Not being quite enough of a bastard to go along with everything the Death Eaters did? Hell, maybe they just found out Riddle was a Half-Blood, and didn't like being lied to - I could see someone like Malfoy seeing it as having been made a fool of.

Can't really see that, to be honest. For one thing - although this may be insidious fanon, I'm fairly sure Hogwarts has epic strength Muggle Repelling Charms and the like plastered all over it. Not an insurmountable problem, with a little imagination, but still relevant.

19. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

It's been done a few times and never well. If it's in a story though, it's hard to make it more than a throwaway. Because really, what relevance is Muggle studies going to have to a plot that people actually want to read? Little to none. Of course to do this you also have to completely ignore the fact that muggles can't see Hogwarts.

20. Grinning Lizard

Well, you can look forward to seeing what enembee comes up with along with the rest of us ;)

As everyone has no doubt by now mentioned, better to go with a squib because muggles can't see or approach Hogwarts. I'm sure this has been done though, and nothing springs to mind.

You ought to put a little thought (and an hour on Lexicon and the HP Wiki) into these half-bunnies before posting them, because you might come up with a really good one and nobody will pay attention because you haven't thought through the last ~20. You could have found out muggles teaching at Hogwarts is impractical and maybe wouldn't do a whole lot plot wise with a single search and 5 minutes trying to come up with ways it wouldn't work.

It's like Feanorrr's recs - even if he discovers a hidden masterpiece now, it's going to be hard for people to take it seriously and read it for what it is if he recs it, purely because of the amount of inane drivel he's vomited into For Review already.