1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Days

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Joschneide, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Apologies if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it after I saw the news and figured I'd share.

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor

Means likely around Halloween, at least according to his forum that is what Butcher is pushing to happen. But a possible Winter release exists also. Anyway, cheers! Glad to hear it's finally written.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Excellent. If it has already been posted, I certainly haven't seen it. (Although that does not mean it hasn't been.)

At any rate, thank you. It seems I should begin re-reading the series again.

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Yesssssssss. Gooooooooodddd. Waaaaaannnnttttt.

Even if this has been posted somewhere (Word of God thread, mayhaps), prolly a cool idea to have a thread waiting for discussion as it comes. Or we could merge it with the initial announcement thread, but either way. Yes. Good. Want.

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

That's something I've already being doing for the past few months. Just one book here or there. Not very far, but it looks like I'll have to bump up my reading schedule.

I honestly forgot how fun it was to read the earlier books.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's awesome to hear. I've just finished rereading most of the series. Only Ghost Story to go, and I'll probably save that for a while until we're closer to the release.

Awesome to get official word though. Cannot wait.

6. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

I thought it was out and came here looking for spoilers.

Ah well...better continue reading The Black Company

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok so time for my 4th series reread, I guess I should start from Storm Front this time unlike Blood Rites the first time or Summer Knight the second and third.

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Having just re-read through the whole series in four days this is not soon enough. Damn it man, I need my fix.

10. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

Just finished Ghost Story - and I'm am freaking excited for Cold Days. Ghost Story was a needed diversion from the main plot of the series and was really interesting in the sense that you really got to see how the other characters reacted and their personalities fleshed out. That being said - I can't wait to see how Dresden fairs going forward.

11. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You should probably read the first three at some point, yeah, but it's not like any plot points from them are liable to pop up in Cold Days.

Speaking of reading the books - somewhat - out of order: first time I read them, I was already aware of more-or-less every possible spoiler, so my read went something like: Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Dead Beat, Turn Coat, Summer Knight, Small Favor, Proven Guilty, White Night, Blood Rites, Death Masks.

12. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have read them, just meant I haven't touched them since then.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

I'm stoked. I liked GS, but nothing like most of you guys. The pop culture references and other things irked me, though I'll admit I need to read it again for fairness and for things I missed.

There are some very weak parts in the first several books, but I try to look on the bright side: Butcher is around 10^6 a better writer now than then, which is always great to see.

Plus, I love, love, LOVE Fool Moon. I was so taken by surprise at the reveal it reminds me of Prisoner of Azkaban to this day. It was visceral and bloody, and when Dresden used that belt I thought, "Look the fuck out, Denton, it's fuckin' ON!"

14. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

It has gotten better for the most part but, as you said, the popular culture references really bother me. The big one that I remember is in Changes when Harry was quoting Yoda to Molly at very serious times, and even making jokes like "that is why you fail" and what not. That part really bothered me along with someone explaining to Harry how he is the Sam of their group and how Sam was the real hero of Lord of the Rings.

Maybe I'm just weird but those things really lessened the immersion of the book for me.

15. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Super stoked as well. What's all this nonsense about the early books being bad? I liked the early books.

He has gotten to be a much better writer now though.

16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Posts like this make me wish for a down-thumbs button.

Also: Cold days is going to be Epic. Winter Knight!Harry is no doubt going to be all sorts of badass. Plus I'm really looking forward to more Harry/Mab interaction.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are a lot worse posts here, than some guy just having an opinion.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While I like the pop culture references that Butcher keeps including in his books, I must admit that in the last two books he went more than a little overboard with them. I mean, when you read earlier books they are rare and seeing them brings a smile. But you start reading Ghost Story and it's like everything is a pop culture references, finishing with Molly's mind being a bridge from Star Trek and Uriel talking about how much he likes Star Wars.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Haters gonna hate.

20. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

So according to Butcher's twitter feed, Cold Days is now officially done, no more revisions required. But still no publication date yet.

And I'll be the latest to agree that the first couple books weren't, shall we say, very good. I've always felt that Grave Peril was when Butcher hit his stride.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012