1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Competition Prompts!

Discussion in 'Story Competitions' started by Ched, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm revising our prompts thread, as the old one hadn't been working as I'd originally intended (which is my fault).

How it works

Make a post that contains a SINGLE prompt.

Feel free to explain the prompt, advocate for it, whatever. But only put one prompt per post.

If you like a prompt give it a thumbs up!

Types of Prompts can be whatever you like really, so long as it's short enough to fit into a poll. Examples:

• Basic
      • Dark Arts
      • Azkaban
      • Fairy Tale
      • Time Travel
    • First line
      • "Why are you bleeding on my floor?"
      • "It wasn't your mother I loved, Potter, it was your father," Snape said.
    • Specific
      • Harry gets Albus drunk
      • Harry breaks into Snapes office
      • Time Travel Harry during 4th Year
    • Random
      • Naruto Crossover
      • First line & last line = Same
      • Story covers 100 years

Whatever - if it fits into the poll you can suggest it.

The winner of the previous competition will always get to pick a prompt for the poll. Often a runner-up will get to pick one as well. In the future we want to do a 'best reviewer' option. The staff prompt will often come from this thread, though in the past I've often just picked a second choice from a previous poll if nothing seemed popular in here.

Past prompts are here.

Old prompt thread is here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Ched

Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

More or less what it says on the tin. It's the Hogwarts motto - but what does it mean and why? Is it a literal dragon?

Would you write this in the modern day? In the past with the founders? Could it be a magical disease that causes some people to 'hulk out' when tickled?​

3. Ched

Herbology

Because unless you're writing a Neville fic this seems to be one of the most under-utilized areas of the Hogwarts curriculum. And even the Neville fics usually don't do a lot with it, beyond having Neville be good at it and invested in it.

Curious to see what DLP could make of it as the central concept to a story.​

4. Ched

Hogsmeade Weekend from Hell

Because it's something different, I guess? Could be students, could be faculty, could be the future, could be the past. But we know just enough about Hogsmeade to make it interesting without knowing so much that we don't have room to play around with it.

And just what kind of hell? A bad date or a literal smattering of demons?​

5. Ched

Gender Bender for All

Every single character is the opposite gender of their canon self. Because what kind of interesting things will that show us? Will it make the story 'feel' fundamentally different? Reverse tropes that were already reversed? Etc.

Bonus points for not focusing on the gender differences though. Just write a basic story about anything where the genders are swapped - focusing on it too much takes away the interesting bits, imo... then again, it could be a very interesting piece if they all just woke up one day like OMGWTF too.​

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heist.

• Whether it's Bill Weasley hired for a lucrative(and dangerous?) operation, Harry and co breaking into Gringotts or some Death Eater location to reclaim a specific artifact(and/or deny the opposition certain resources), Albus taking a fancy to the latest pair of muggle socks and magicking his way through the doors after dark, or something else altogether, I'd like to see how we go about writing some heist fics. Ocean's Eleven or whatever else style up to the author.

7. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Lockhart takes Ron down with him.

In the Chamber of Secrets, Ron's wand malfunctions differently: instead of just backfiring, Lockhart's Obliviate affects both him and Ron. Harry saves Ginny, but Ron ends up in St. Mungo's long term ward with Lockhart.

8. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Gold, God, Glory: convoluted colonial wizarding adventure

Insert our characters in some convoluted colonial wizarding adventure. Could be set in the HP time scale or linked to the past.​

9. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

The Thirty Fifth and Three Quarters Goblin Rebellion

10. Ched

Master & Apprentice

I like this one for one of our longer prompts, as it could lead into interesting world-building if everyone learns through this system in some format. Could also be used straight, by giving Harry a mentor, but with 17500 words to work with? I'd love to see what people could do with this by building an entire AU around it.​

Use this thread more, people! I used the only popular prompt in the current poll.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Harry Potter as an old man.

An auror, a teacher, a grandparent. Time travel, a duel, reminiscing with friends, eulogizing a friend. It's an interesting subject that's rarely seen in fanfiction. Is he Dumbledoresque giving sage wisdom. Getting pissed with Ron and complaining about kids these days. Or maybe just going back in time so he can relive his glory days as Gryffindor seeker.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

You son of a bitch. I'm in

13. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Hogwarts Express is designed to ensure at least one chance encounter takes place every year. Show us one example of 'everywhere else is full' that we didn't see in canon.

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Slytherin!Neville.

A few days ago I realized I've never seen this before. Now I really want to. There are so many possibilities.

15. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

Expulsion (“Or worse, expelled!”)

Write a fanfic in which Harry gets expelled. How/where does he learn magic? Whom does he trust? When and why is he expelled (e.g. 2nd year because of Ford Anglia, 3rd Aunt Marge, 5th Dementors in Privet Drive, 6th Sectumsempra, other)? How does that affect him and his role in the fight against Voldemort?

16. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Subvert a scene from canon.

This would work well for the short story format as well - take a scene from canon and rewrite the behind-the-curtain motivation for that scene that casts its original interpretation in an entirely different light.

17. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Tom van Winkle- Long after Harry Potter dies a natural death, the horcruces preserve the shade of Voldemort, his plan to return to life having failed after Cedric Diggory reached the Triwizard Cup first and Peter Pettigrew is arrested for his murder.
    How/when does Lord Voldemort return? With Potter dead, what are his plans? Does the wizarding world remember him, or can he take advantage of anonymity?
    I suppose the prompt could be expanded to 'natural time travel' if it's too specific.

18. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Auld Lang Syne- Focus on an early member of a prominent Wizarding Family. How they became established within the Wizarding World. Examples, the Longbottoms clashing with the Malfoy's as the two great wizarding families during the War of the Roses. The Lestranges and the Malfoys traveling with William the Conqueror, so on and so on.

19. Ched

Let's get some more in here people, come on.

• AU where Statute of Secrecy Does Not Exist

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Let's get original in here,

- A mysterious plague sweeps the wizarding world

- Illness sweeps the Muggle world. Infected mothers birth children that are.... different. The Ministry can't cover this one up.