1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Counter Strike: Source

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Apr 16, 2011.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

So, anyone here play CS:S? I'm rather new to the game, but am making an attempt to move over to it after I saw that it seems to be thriving, and that I find it relatively easy after playing faster games such as Urban Terror.

I'm trying to just get the basics down (maps, gun spread, sound usage, ect ect), and was looking for either a few practice partners, or hopefully a few good public servers to play on.

The vast majority of public servers I've played on so far seem to be filled with butt hurt admins that impose idiotic rules (no AWP), or aren't newbie friendly. I don't care about getting raped, but I'd like to be able to play without someone bitching me out because I didn't clutch a 1v4 game round on a game I'm new at.

So, anyone here play?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Occasionally.

For good servers I generally try to find ISP hosted ones.

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I started playing CS 1.6 about 4 days ago. I played it for about 13 hours STRAIGHT today, so it is safe to say I am hooked. Are CS:S and CS:1.6 same? Which is better?

4. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Apparently CS:S is just CS:1.6 with a graphical face lift and a more active community.

I just chose CS:S 'cause I knew I could bug my clanmates from UrT to play it if it looked decent.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Guys Source graphic motor is a famous one, why are you only playing with it now, they are really old?

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I play a bit. I'm pretty suckish though. TomDiddle on steam if you want to play a bit.

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Because CS:S is still the only real "major" FPS with a competitive community behind it. Sure there's CoD:BO, but last I heard they hadn't even managed to sort out proper competitions yet. CoD:4 has some competition, but not nearly as much as CS:S.

I play UrT competitively, and really enjoy it as a hobby. I thought I'd move over to a similar FPS with a strong community hacking it. CS:S was the obvious choice, as it's slow gameplay would give me an advantage running in, as I was used to twitch based shooters.

Edit: There's also Quake Live, but I prefer team based games, and QL isn't that.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well there is the CoD: UO...

9. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

There's always the Warcraft mod for some Run & Gun rambo action.

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Thus far, I've only played CS bootlegged version ;). 1.6 has more servers than source, so I'd rather play 1.6 . 'Tis awesome, and much more fun is had while playing CS than any CoD or other shit.

I've been thinking of buying a legit copy from Steam and getting on there. If more people here are interested, I'll definitely be getting one. :awesome

11. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

If anyone wants their asses kicked in 1.6, I'm down. Haven't played CS:S yet

12. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Source and 1.6 aren't even close to being the same, if you played in one little more..
    Yes Source have maps and weapons that are "the same", as 1.6, but on names similarities end. If you are just starting your adventure with this classic, then source is your game. CS 1.6 scene are larger and there is more players, then in CSS, which are in most more skilled. Also there are more tournaments and lans played on 1.6, with more money in it to win (Europe for sure, do not know about US). If you are just starting, then Source - because it's easier and if you start playing seriously, you can achieve something not like in 1.6, which while being more playable is also a lot like DLP, most new facers are not welcome with open arms:).

PS. If you are looking especially for graphic in game, and play only on public servers then omit above and just have fun with source:)

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I love CS:S. Good update of a good game that I practically grew up on, and good bots included.

14. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Thanks for the info. As I'm still pretty new to the game, I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for the guns and movement mechanics right now. The game I play competitively in leagues is Urban Terror, which while semi-similar to CS:S, has much less bullet spread and is much faster gameplay wise.

I'm hoping to get to at least low-mid competitive level in cs:s soon enough, but i might switch over to cs 1.6 if it's true the competition side is higher there. I'd rather play the deal if you take my meaning.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

How many times have you jump from coming around a corner and getting shotgunned so far?

16. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I hate that thing. I see everyone jumping pointlessly here and there whenever they reach an intersection since it makes sure you don't get hit by anyone who is camping there but damn it looks stupid.

17. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Not often, maybe once or twice. Map awareness isn't too hard to have once you play them a few times, and sound is a wonderful thing.

My biggest problem right now is the goddamn bulletspread. Specifically, I can't seem to get the hang of making my bullets go where my cursor is pointing, at least with autos.

I seem to have the most success with the deagle/awp, which is an almost ridiculously overpowered combo that it's pretty funny. I haven't really done much beyond pubs yet (getting a group of urt players into cs before I try), but on pubs at least it's incredibly easy to use.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

You really have to get into the habit of burst fire. Learn to do it somewhat fast and you'll almost not notice the difference between it & auto, but you'll be a million times more accurate.

My personal favorite combo was always Galil (IDF Defender)/Five-Seven.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Combat in CS:S is like a dance; you have to know when/where to move, when to jump, when to crouch etc.

It's a difficult one to learn, but possible.

Just observe how other players play, and keep note on how they move.

20. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

First for your recoil problem, search on youtube tutorial films, about ak47/m4 recoil, they are often done by pro players and can give you some ideas. Also for this, I recommend watching POV demos of famous and good players, you will learn, a lot from them.

Second about strafe jumps, well its necessary in many things, but there is not much too said about them, you just do it.

Third, about playing not much beyond public, here you can do much more. First if you play on public, I recommend only Death Match servers for practising your skill, then you have gathers and many kinds of mix, ESL site and many channels on irc (Quakenet). Watching demos like said before and thinking this is very important and many new players lack brain in game, you can not just shorting on position in CT and etc.

This is somewhat correct, when modern good and skilled players when playing against each other, win the one who first begin to fire, they just need one or two bullet max for kill many times. In old times spray and recoil was more important. But you can not be good player without this skill also, there are times in close space when recoil is necessary. I often use it in situation like this on mid-range: after one two shoot of series, too finish off enemy spraying with cross-over in chest area (first two shoots with cross-over on head and then I move the cross-over over chest continuing spraying - then bullets go for neck, It's hard do describe in text, you must play, a little more and see for yourself).

Last edited: May 14, 2011