1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Culture War

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScottPress, Aug 14, 2018.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Oment was right, fuck the Bystander Effect.

I figure Politics is a good place for this because there's no way we'll avoid politics. It would be great if mods could paste the relevant posts from Trumperium 2.0 here, but we can take it up from scratch.

(If this thread gets any traction, I predict it'll become DLP's Reddit corner)

So we were on the subject of US being the world police. @BitMyFinger, you seem to operate solely on idealism. But idealism and realism aren't mutually exclusive. We can strive for better while acknowledging that US being the world police is a better option than China (or possibly Russia, though it's a stretch) taking up that role. China could probably afford it. The EU combined could afford it, but it would probably be a logistical nightmare.

Places like DPRK exist. But we needn't go so extreme. China likes nice things and generally, someone like you is better off in the West than China. Human nature is to fuck shit up. Until we all go zen, there will always be a dork wanting to poke something with a stick just because they can, so someone needs to maintain order. The US had placed itself in that position. They can complain that it's expensive and NATO take advantage of them, but they don't seem eager to reduce their Navy either, so I guess American imperialism it is.

Colleges were brought up. I already @'d Oment and BitMyAntifaScarf, @Invictus, wanna hop in? This one's a gem. I like how shit like Berkely riots or the disgrace that was Evergreen State histeria around Brett Weinstein are apparently not indicative of things.

I wonder if someone besides BitMyMarxManifesto will call me an alt-right racist before the day is out.

2. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Uh. I'm really not certain what you're hoping to achieve with this thread.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

If there's to be a war, I want the Vietnamese on my side.

4. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Honestly, culture wars is as relevant to a Trumperium as anything. So I'm not sure why this thread has to exist, unless everyone really really wants to limit the other thread to strictly media-driven discussion.

5. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/95bv7z/z/e3sbiva

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/95clw8/z/e3s9ps4

"While I agree on principle, we also need old people to die faster, as cruel as that sounds. It's about people living a long time now after they leave the workforce. The social security nets made sense when the average lifespan saw you living 10-15 years in retirement. Now it's closer to 20."

"It annoyes me when someone incorrectly uses 'an' where there should be 'a'. Guess that would make me a grammar Naziaaaaaand CHECKMATE "THERE'S NO WHITE CULTURE" PEOPLE

Or is that bad? I mean it's been decades, can we own Nazis now or what? I figure since communism is in vogue in some parts..."

Sorry man, being an alt-right racist is already an open and shut case. I saw the pattern, connected the dots, and confronted you about it. You admitted to being an Islamophobe, remember?
    --- Post automerged ---

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    @BitMyFinger

Well, if we're quoting things.

I don't think my stance is islamophobic. You see it that way.

And I guess Richard Spencer is the ultimate authority on the alt-right. What he says, goes. Not like even the alt-right has a variety of opinions.

I don't see how the quotes from my Reddit history make me alt-right or a white supremacist, or a bigot. You could argue I'm an edgelord, but those other things, no.

edit: this thread is just gonna be me and BitMyBLMShirt failing to convince each other of things, isn't it

7. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably because I'm confused on wtf you're arguing in OP.

8. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Probably, but I'm likely to get a couple giggles out of it, so carry on.

9. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

My problem with this is that I can't perceive any of it as being honestly said. Like, I can't do anything but call you names because you're not actually saying what you mean. I feel like you think your islamophobia isn't islamophobia/is entirely rational, but from where I'm standing it just looks like the breeding grounds for evil.

Can you at least acknowledge genocides do happen in this world?

It looks like that's the side you're standing on to me. Sorry if I am just misinterpreting every signal of yours I've received, but that's why I'm a bit of a bitch to you on the regular.

Also re China and Russia shenanigans: I really can't engage with any more of this stuff. The only thing I have is:

"Oceania was at war with Eurasia; therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia."

If you want to talk about the rise of right wing nationalism and how to combat that via diplomacy, I'm down. But the presidential candidate I'm going to vote for is the one that says let us beat our swords into plowshares.

No idea what Bernie will do on that. He voted against the Iraq War and voted for when it was tied to the Katrina relief, iirc. So he could go either way on imperialism. He was also pretty slow to come out with an explicit abolish ICE statement, but he was railing against it pretty quick when it started hitting the press.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    @BitMyFinger what in the ever-loving fuck are you on about you brain-scrambled alt-lefter?

Do I acknowledge that genocides happen? Hey, do you acknowledge that economy is driven by profit and therefore your idea that millionaires should be taxed down do 500k is fucking retarded? That's the level of discourse you're engaging in and pretending that you have actual rational arguments.

I'm an evil Polish nationalist sexist racist islamophobic Bible-thumping hate-spewing pig, as you have proved with your ironclad proofs (btw nice one, quoting a joke post from Reddit as evidence of my evil). But Poland also happens to be the country where the Holocaust happened.

You call me a racist alt-right snake because I raised an issue about free speech. But the issue concerned a right-wing activist, so you assumed I am his supporter and share all his views, which is a stupid thing to do. You sound like every leftist regressive ever and think that anyone close to the center is a Nazi.

But you're entertaining in your stupidity, at least.

11. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

I feel like profit is your motive, and that's why capitalists project it onto everyone. You really think scientists wouldn't want to discover the mysteries of the universe, that doctors wouldn't want to save people, that artists wouldn't want to create, that engineers wouldn't want to tinker, and that all the boring mundane shit no one wants to do wouldn't easily be done by automation?

"But Poland also happens to be the country where the Holocaust happened."

This some real shit. America is where the Native American genocide happened.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  12. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:

So you’re arguing that people should be free from the constraints of the market to pursue their passions? Great. Who’s going to make the food? Who’s going to take out the garbage?
    Why would they do that for free?

13. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh my God, the MELODRAMA.

Ignore Scott for a goddamn second, @BitMyFinger, and engage on the merits.

Your tentpole issues seem to be:
    1. A deep suspicion of policy elites.
    2. Anti-war/anti-intervention.
    3. A hatred of US hegemony.
    4. Proto-communist economic outlook.

What we want you to do is:
    a) Explain WHY you think this.
    b) Explain HOW you know this, or on what evidence you're basing your worldview.
    c) Provide ALTERNATIVES and cogent prescriptions for those policy ideas.
    d) Engage with current policy realities to prove that you understand why things are the way they are. And also that you understand the IMPLICATIONS of what you're proposing.

I and half of the regulars around here will happily engage with you on these topics. Gods know I have nothing better to do while I sit on a commuter train.

14. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

1. It's pretty much common knowledge that US Politics has legalized bribery. The richer you are, the more say you get in how the government is run. The Tea Party is just a blatant corporatism party. I think there should be a limit on donation amount and systems that allow for exposure of a broader range of candidates. Like maybe the government should buy some commercial time to just run ads, and you only need 100 signatures on a petition to get your ad run locally. We should also overhaul the voting system, making voting days holidays and providing transportation to paper voting ballots. You should be able to vote ranking people, or maybe just picking all the ones you would be okay with. The broken system isn't fixed because it works for a select few: the bourgeoisie.

Will keep responding, but at work right now.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Please continue. This thread has the makings of a good "conservative and an anarchist walk into a bar" joke.

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    Those motivations and profit aren't mutually exclusive.

What is this, "my genocide was bigger than yours"?
    --- Post automerged ---
    We know the anarchist, who's the conservative? Not me.

17. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Nah that was just me trying to relate. But I guess I hugely misstepped with how I wrote that? Wasn't trying to make light of that shit at all.

18. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Truth. I like my writing and did it off-and-on for years without getting paid. Once it went from a hobby to something I got paid for, I started taking it a lot more seriously and significantly improved my craft. And while I'd still probably write as a hobbyist if I lost all moneymaking opportunities, I probably wouldn't put as much time and effort into it as I do when it brings in a few hundred extra dollars of disposable income every month.

19. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  20. BTT

BTT Headmaster