1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Cutting Loose by Chengar Qordath - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Chengar Qordath, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Cutting Loose
    Author: Chengar Qordath
    Fandom: Naruto
    Rating: M
    Pairing: Official Final Pairing is undecided
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 169,775
    Updated: October 1, 2011
    Published: January 12, 2010
    Summary: A chance meeting causes Naruto and TenTen to become friends while he's still at the Academy. TenTen helps Naruto graduate a year early, and the two of them join Team Gai along with Rock Lee. Now, Naruto must learn what it means to be a ninja and a jinchuriki, and how far he will go to defend his ninja way.
    Link: FF,net

Not sure if this fic is actually DLP-worthy or not, but since a couple DLPers have mentioned it I figured there was no reason not to post it up here now that I've gotten past the 100k word mark. I've been keeping the updates pretty regular, but real life has been slowing down my update rate a bit lately.

Checked by Minion, October 7, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  2. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

It is so-so I suppose. It doesn't really catch my eye much I'd give it a 3 for being average, but it isn't the sort of average that I'll be keeping my eye on.

Uninteresting sums it up in a word. It is the lack of plot, character and kick ass moments every fic about ninja's needs.

3. azrael

azrael Professor

I read it and enjoyed it up until
    Naruto started bugging the Snadaime to let him go to Kiri to learn how to control Kyuubi, and Sarutobi actually agreed.
    That chapter annoyed me, and I never read past it. Since I didn't read it through, I won't rate it.

4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah, ^^this required a bit too much suspension of disbelief. It had the makings of a good story, but as a whole it's rather average. 3/5 from me.

5. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    There's more going on in that scene than the Sandaime just giving in to Naruto's request, as becomes clear in later chapters. Just thought I'd mention that; I might end up going back an tweaking that scene a bit, since I agree it could use some work.

6. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

This shit is epic. The scene with the Sandaime is revealed to have far more behind it than previously suspected, and leads to one of the most epic divergences from the wave arc ever. The fights are great and Gai is written excellently.

No question about it, 5/5.

Chengar I hope you keep up with this!

7. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Normally I wouldn't give a "Naruto gets put on X team" fic the time of day as they're usually just lame canon rehashes, but this one was pretty original. Author didn't hesitate to deviate from canon events, but also did a good job of avoiding potential plot holes. I also really liked Kakashi's characterization.

8. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    I share your opinion of most different team fics; even the good ones that try to avoid too much re-hashing of cannon tend to fall into that trap after a while. One of the reasons I started him off on Team Gai is so there would be an entire year's worth of changes before we got to the time period of the cannon storyline, so I can diverge heavily from the cannon plotline and events without it seeming implausible.

9. eetragt

eetragt Third Year

I was almost leery to read this since it had some negative reviews, but it had enough positive for me to look at it, and I'm glad I did. The story kept me interested, had the first interesting Ni Yugito I have ever read, and basically restored my faith in the Naruto-on-another-team genre.

I think the best part of this story is how you treat the demons. You have Naruto learning how to use the power in a way that makes sense, and everything so far on that section has been handled in the way I wish canon had handled it.

Overall, great story. I wish it was finished, but it hasn't been out for that long, so I can not complain about that. Please don't abandon this. If I had to rate what was here right now I would call it an enjoyable read, but if it continues and completes with the same level of quality it has now, it will be one of my favorite Naruto stories, and would be worth a re-read, something I rarely do.

10. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Got no plans to abandon it, though the update rate has gotten a major slowdown thanks to me entering crunch-time in grad school; when you've got two major papers, an exam, and an hour-long presentation on your plate keeping your fanfic updating regularly takes a backseat.

Right now I've got everything through the first post-Timeskip arc planned out reasonably well.

11. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

hmmmmmm. I actually kinda liked this story. Naruto being so happy go lucky despite his situation and deciding to stay in Konoha when Kumo would treat him better irritated me a bit but it always does since it seems ridiculous to want to stay in a village that hates him. However your reasoning behind it was somewhat reasonable since he made a few friends.

I still don't get why he wants to become Hokage. That plotline never makes sense to me. It actually makes even less sense when he has found people who actually respect him because then he wouldn't be as desperate for the attention of the villagers.

But don't mind me though I hate Naruto canon so most Naruto fanon tends to annoy me for similar reasons that canon annoys me.