1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls on PC(?)

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arbiter, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

I'm sure you've heard of Dark Souls by now. If you haven't, it's a hardcore action/RPG set in medieval fantasy, and it is pretty damned hard. I wouldn't know how good it is, due to a lack of a console. Official website is:
    http://www.preparetodie.com/en/
    Unfortunately, it's only been out on consoles since its release, for unexplained reasons. But then this post from one of the employees at the developer company sparked an internet wide cry for a release on PC, and the support is ramping up.

So far, there are multiple Reddit threads about this, and TotalBiscuit posted an excellent video about why should this game be ported to PC, which can be found here.

There's a petition going on, which you can sign if you want. It currently has over 10,000 votes, over a half of them have been added in the past hour. Rockpapershotgun has written an article about this.

Currently, over 2,000 users are in the thread where it all started which can be found here.
    I'm really hoping something can come out of this, even though most of the petitions for games have been, well... unsuccessful. Thoughts?

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Brilliant marketing scheme, self-building hype.

3. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

It was released in early October for consoles. Not a marketing scheme, as far as I can see.

4. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I already got Dark Souls for 360 and a PC port would probably destroy my life at this point. Besides, maybe blight town will finally run smoothly. That'd be nice.

In all serious though I'd be down for this. I think the petition hit 15, 000 sigs earlier today.

5. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Petition hit 23,000 signatures this morning.
    There are several more articles about this, and the thread hit 31 pages, with at least 700 people watching it constantly.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You've never heard the phrase "any press is goods press"? If they do release it on PC there is already a shit ton of marketing for the product. No one ever said you can't continue to advertise for your product after its release date.

7. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

We finally got the answer from the Admin that posted the first message:
    At least we've managed to do that. It would sell incredibly fast on Steam. Just think of how many people appreciate Hardcore RPG's, such as Witcher 2 Dark Mode and such.

Petition has well over 65,000 signatures, and is only increasing.

8. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

A big update. It has been confirmed that Dark Souls is, in fact, coming to PC!
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469409

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition will have new bosses, exclusive to PC. Release date is set for august. Honestly, I can't wait to play it. Day 1 purchase for me.

9. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    MY BODY IS READY

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Dark Souls is already the best game i've played in the past year. New bosses and shit on the PC would be interesting, but I doubt my laptop would handle it. Plus, getting used to the controls again is half the difficulty. I've just never been able too play 1st/3rd person games on PC to well, better off with point and click rts and Diablo clones.

11. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Dark Souls is awesome as it is. Dark Souls with MODS? Holy shit... I might just jizz myself thinking of all the badass mods that are going to come out for this.

12. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Proper gamepad support also confirmed. This is going to be awesome.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck. Yeah.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Mods will ruin the game. Only UI or visual mods should be made.

That said, there is about a zero fucking chance I wouldn't buy this for PC given the ridiculous love I have the for the game and series.

15. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

I'm sorry someone is forcing you to download them. That really sucks.

On a brighter note, Dark Souls Official PC trailer was just released by
    Namco Bandai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=jzSqBfPQIEk

EDIT: Just found out it will (probably) use GFWL.

...Fuck.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Wow... that's pretty close to being a deal breaker. I've had nothing but trouble trying to play GFWL games online :(

17. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Okay first, fuck you. Now that we're done with being dicks, lets discuss this without being children.

Dark Souls is very, very much based on developer balancing. That is to say, From has calculated what type of weapons you will be receiving and where against what type of opponents you will be facing and when. This means that in order to progress you have to backtrack and explore, and in the late game experiment with different weapons, as well as find the best gear for your build. I and many others love that the game requires players to think about where they go and what they do before they do it, and I believe a lot of that revolves around design rather than difficulty. For example, while all enemy attacks do lots of damage, different classes have different matchups, at least in the early levels while gear is still fairly certain for different classes. The Taurus Demon will be difficult for slower classes, while his attacks will be easier to avoid if you have fast roll like the thief.

Introducing gameplay mods will destroy that delicate balance. If you get a set with as high fire resistance as say, the gold hemmed robes set before going into the Queelag fight, that will destroy the balance of that area. Dark Souls is such an intentional experience. There is no way that mods will retain that balance. The developers have thought about what will happen when you do almost anything. Unlike games like Skyrim, where you are supposed to sort of make you own experience and the game provides the tools for that.

And then there is the biggest issue, multiplayer. Dark Souls is not a singleplayer game. Unless you play on offline mode, and I know no-one who does, multiplayer is a massive part of the game. I have co-op'ed every boss multiple times, and PvP has become my favourite part of the game. Balance is a gigantic issue there, with enough tiny advantages and disadvantages in the vanilla game to warrant entire fucking books worth of arguments. How is adding new and impossible to balance weapons and armor going to help that? Imagine if people modded battlefield and added a gun which was just more accurate than any other gun. Not by a lot, but more accurate. Imagine how shit that would be. Thats why I only wanted UI or visual mods. Things that only affect your game and no-one else's are fine. If you want to fuck up your dark souls experience on offline mode thats cool. But it will ruin the experience, and if there is even a chance of it seeing online play it shouldn't happen.

18. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Of course I'm going to play it without the mods first. But afterwards, once I finish the game, I will install stuff simply to increase the gameplay time. That is the beauty of mods, they can extend the game's longevity to a near infinite amount.

What I don't understand, though, is why you think that people with mods will be able to join online games? If you change a core mechanic, you can't join a game in which someone didn't do the same thing. Your files wouldn't match. It's as simple as that.

I can't really comment on this, as I haven't played the game yet, and thus I have no knowledge how the mechanics work, but I'm pretty damn sure I couldn't join your game if I had several mods that changed level layout/boss health or whatever.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with this. All you need is a shield with high fire resistance for Quelag. Black Knight Sheild is overkill, but the undead merchant and Andre both sell many shields with 70+ fire and 100 physical. Really, you don't even need that. The game is more about learning attack patterns than gear. Either get in close so the big attacks arc wide, or just go behind. Independent of gear.

Also, you can get at 3 weapons early game that just trivialize the game until after Smough and Ornstein. Drake sword is probably the most popular, and with it, you just 1 hit ever minor monster for areas to come. Hell, you can blitz the graveyard for the winged spear before ever setting foot in the undead parish. And if you have the master key, you can take the elevator from new londo to the valley of the drakes and get Astora's straight sword before the undead parish as well, and that's probably better than the drake sword since it scales well.

So yeah. It's quite easy to make yourself overpowered before you even do anything of significance. Taurus Demon? Plunging attack with gold resin, dead. Capra Demon? Ironflesh. Bell Gargoyles? Say hi to Solaire

Seriously though, the gear isn't needed unless you are a windowlicker, and even then, it won't save you from dying in dumb ways. The hardest part in the game is mastering the controls, and that goes hand in hand with basic boss tactics. There's not a single boss in the game that you need specialized gear for if you just use basic tactics, which is: circle to the back and smack with your weapon.

20. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

See? This is what I'm talking about. This guy knows everything, ask him stuff. I haven't even played the game yet.