1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC Universe: Slow-burning Zero-to-Hero Stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Pure Infinity, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I'm looking for stories set in the DC Universe following a new hero/villain (canon character, OC, or crossover character, or even an SI, whatever) that slowly develops into the role. All too often when I read such a fic, the MC immediately gets thrown into the thick of things, joining the main plots of whatever avenue of the DCU they've been shoved into - meeting the Justice League or the Bat-Family, clashing with major villains, taking part in major conflicts, instantly becoming well known and a big deal, forming a harem featuring every moderately attractive woman in the universe... etc etc.

I want something where the character slowly grows into his role. Instead of instantly becoming a major player, I'd rather see him interacting with minor characters, and ending up involved in story arcs that don't necessarily overlap with the "major players" of the DCU.

I would just like to see a character develop slowly into an important person in the world, instead of, say, instantly joining the Justice League, or the cast of Young Justice, or the Legion of Doom or something.

(Hell, I'll even jump for something like this set in the Marvel universe, even though my knowledge of it is pretty much nonexistent).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Less Than Zero by Kenchi618
    This is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Pretty decently written, and don't let who the author is scare you off before you give it a shot. This is leagues better than his Naruto work.

The OC isn't an important person yet, but he's developing pretty steadily. Setting is Gotham, but Batman and co. don't hog the spotlight or anything. Catwoman is pretty prominent as well, if you're a fan.

The premise is almost the opposite of Worm. Instead of someone who wants to be a hero becoming an accidental villain, this guy's a thief who becomes an accidental hero.

Overall, 4/5. Been meaning to throw it up in For Review but I hadn't gotten around to it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  3. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

Agreed. I took a look and got hooked. Much better then his normal Naruto stuff, 4/5.

4. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Been there, done that.

5. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

I'd like to submit my own SI fic - it's not an exact match to what you're looking for - he gets to Young Justice in about 20K words, and the writing isn't the greatest, since this is my first large-scale writing project, but I imagine it isn't too terrible a time waster.

Title: A Subtle Knife
    Author: frodrick; industrious on SB
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure.
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: None Yet.
    Summary: When a young man wakes up in a seemingly fictional world, he tries to find his way from the very bottom. Perhaps more worrisome are the nature of the superpowers he suddenly finds himself with...
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-subtle-knife-dc-yj-si.342043/

6. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I've been following it, it's decent but I think there's stuff you could and should have cut from it. I don't think you needed to spend quite so much time in the homeless shelter and Star Labs.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I have a feeling because of author's prior history, it'll end up in almost recommended.

Still he has been getting better lately.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Less than Zero is legit pretty good. Main tripes would be that it seems unbetad. A lot of sentences seem to abruptly end, tenses and POV change a lot with no context. And the fic could do with a lot less of the whole 'other characters introspecting about how neat the MC is' thing. 4/5 imo.

9. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

This.

In recent chapters the protagonist started to give off slight Gary Stu vibes, which are still far from unbearable, but noticeable. For example his grades are suddenly skyrocketing, which was mentioned by Barbara Gordon of all people or Zatanna being dumbstruck with him for destroying the stone. I wish she would have told him how stupid it was to destroy a dangerous magical item in a city like Las Vegas instead of praising his simple yet effective solution. Like I said, it isn’t a major issue, but it feels like the initial appeal of Average Joe in a world of crazy gets replaced with Peter Parker in a green suit, who has to point out, that he is really one of the bad guys. The scene with Super Girl and Super Man listening in for example felt a bit jarring and wasn't needed in my opinion.

Despite my thoughts above I would still give it 4.5/5 for quality, quantity and potential.

10. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Been a really long time since I read this, and it might be too fast-paced for your tastes, but you might want to check out https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5124106/1/Polarity

It's Marvel, not DC, but you said you'd be alright with that.

The basic premise is that a minor list villain starts acting like a hero when a zombie outbreak starts.

11. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

holy shit you're here?

12. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Yes?

I've been on this forum for a while; I just don't post often.

I considered putting that story on Work by Author, but it's not anything near the quality of a lot of the stuff there.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Quality isn't a contributing factor for WbA. If you want to get feedback and suggestions for improving then post there. If people talk shit about you putting stuff up then report them and I'll slap them down. WbA is for improvement, not for people to have dick waving contests.

I say quality isn't a contributing factor without having read your story, and purely based on your post. You may just be self deprecating, I wouldn't know.